My blog mascot

NihongoJournals

Completely Average High School Student
What do you think of my blog mascot? Her name is Nihongo.

Nihongo_black_and_white_by_NihongoJournals.jpg

Nihongo_ID_by_NihongoJournals.jpg

I used to draw all the time but the past year has gotten away from me with work and university life. Only this summer have I decided to take it back up again.

I do hope you like her, I was thinking of getting her a little companion and if my blog takes off then opening an online shop with Nihongo themed items.

She's a cute character, but if you're using the bottom image as a banner, have you considered increasing the saturation of the colours? The colours are bright, but there's something slightly cold about the image as a whole. It probably depends on what program you're using to colour her in (I only know PS I'm afraid), but I think if you increase the saturation a little it should make the image just that bit warmer.

Professor Irony said:
She's a cute character, but if you're using the bottom image as a banner, have you considered increasing the saturation of the colours? The colours are bright, but there's something slightly cold about the image as a whole. It probably depends on what program you're using to colour her in (I only know PS I'm afraid), but I think if you increase the saturation a little it should make the image just that bit warmer.

I should have been using PS but it will not install on my netbook. Instead I had to use SAI. Will bear that in mind though, thanks.

Professor Irony said:
She's a cute character, but if you're using the bottom image as a banner, have you considered increasing the saturation of the colours?
The brightest part of the skirt looks a little more saturated than the rest of her, but I'd mostly agree on that. She looks less saturated than the accompanying text, which may be what looks amiss.

Disclaimer before I go on: I'm used to giving critiques, sorry if any of this sounds picky or harsh.

Otherwise, the raised foot on the first and her right forearm where she's holding the book / laptop on the second seem a little flat. Did you use photo reference for the skirt? If not, consider doing so, as it's a difficult style to get looking right. I have a feeling her thighs and possibly arms in the first one are maybe a little short as well.

With that said, the design's nice, and she looks like the same person between the two pieces as well. I can never draw anyone looking the same twice! Good luck with the art: I find it so relaxing when I get the time do it, hope you're enjoying it.

Back