My 360 just RROD'd. Need PS3 help.

Paradox295

Pokémon Master
Ok, so just watching some Outlaw Star earlier, hit the X button to check the time. Then froze. Tried turning it on, kept getting RROD'd.

I got it pre-owned in 2007, so I think it lasted pretty long.

But, anyways. I'm thinking of buying a PS3.

Particuarly a 60GB one, because I have a 1TB external for stuff, and 60GB's can play PS2 games while other models cant (or did they disable this?)

Soo, I need advice on where to get it. If there's any advantages of getting a slim model instead?

I was going to say only the originals have backwards compatiblity, but the pretty informative tech list on Wikpedia seemingly says otherwise. That table should help you with most everything actually.

Paradox295 said:
Ok, so just watching some Outlaw Star earlier, hit the X button to check the time. Then froze. Tried turning it on, kept getting RROD'd.

I got it pre-owned in 2007, so I think it lasted pretty long.

But, anyways. I'm thinking of buying a PS3.

Particuarly a 60GB one, because I have a 1TB external for stuff, and 60GB's can play PS2 games while other models cant (or did they disable this?)

Soo, I need advice on where to get it. If there's any advantages of getting a slim model instead?
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/playablediscs.html For which model numbers can play PS2 disks.
For europe it's just the 60GB.

Paradox295 said:
I'm thinking of buying a PS3.

Sadly i think i'm the most experienced with the 60gb model.

my first one lasted a year and a half, the second one ylod on me the other week, the problem with the 60gb model is that the thermal component they put onto the processor dries and goes bone dry after 2 years (this is 2 years of playing it for any time between 4-8 hours a day) the cost to have this repaired by Sony; £50 to just look at it, then £80 to fix it. your talking £130 to put thermal paste onto the processor.... and i'm not saying this is a "might happen" once you've got roughly 2 to 3 years worth of gaming out of it, it WILL dry out, sony know this was a problem which is why the slimline ps3 have completely different pastes.

You can however, do what i have to do to fix my ps3. open it up (i wouldn't advise this unless you know atleast the basics of a computer.) strip it down to the fan and processor, use isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud to wipe the processor clean, then apply the right amount* (if you don't know the right amount, its a single line along one side of the processor) then use a credit card to spread it evenly. this way costs you £10 for the thermal compound (make sure its very high in silver content ONLY) and about £10 for the alcohol. Either way, if you have a 60gig now-a-days, you won't have warranty unless you purposely pay sony for a warranty, i don't know the price of this but general waiting times are 3-4 weeks before they either send a replacement or for them to fix and send yours back.

IMHO, go buy a slimline, all ps3's can play ps1 games, only the 60gig has BC and multi ports, but it completely depends on what you want.

Either way, i'm on my 3rd ps3. first was a 60gig - the lense cracked on its own. the replacement 60gig they gave me (warranty was in date) died from YLod and the 3rd is a slimline, proven to live 2/3's longer than the previous model (due mainly to the thermal compound)

And it Fell,fell, fell
into a burning ring of fire
and it burned, burned, burned
The ring of fire
the ring of fire

I can talk you through upgrading the HD of a 60GB one if you need. My 60GB one now has a 500GB drive in it, and it works fine.

Mutsumi said:
I can talk you through upgrading the HD of a 60GB one if you need. My 60GB one now has a 500GB drive in it, and it works fine.

Easy to do really, just take the bottom panel off, unscrew the blue screw, pull it to the left and then out :p unscrew the screws connecting the cage to the HDD and replace with new one. reverse steps to put back.

But yeah the main problem with the 60gig model is the thermal compound like i said, the HDD doesn't affect the system WRT YLoD.

Tachi- said:
But yeah the main problem with the 60gig model is the thermal compound like i said, the HDD doesn't affect the system WRT YLoD.
Yeah, see this is what I was worried about.

With a 60GB, it's only about £150 and I can sell my PS2. But with a slim, I'm gonna have to pay more, and keep my PS2.

Where's the best place to buy a pre-owned PS3?

Paradox295 said:
Tachi- said:
Yeah, see this is what I was worried about.

With a 60GB, it's only about £150 and I can sell my PS2. But with a slim, I'm gonna have to pay more, and keep my PS2.

Where's the best place to buy a pre-owned PS3?

I'd say first of all check your contacts, i managed to pick up my slim ps3 for £150 2 weeks back of a friend,

then check play.com, hmv, amazon, ebay, zavvi, cex, game, gamestation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStatio ... 543&sr=8-5

Back