MVM licenses Patlabor OVA BD/DVD and Linebarrels of Iron DVD

Re: MVM licenses Patlabor OVA BD/DVD and Linebarrels of Iron

I was under impression that was nothing but conservative saber rattling that would be untenable for a whole host of reasons.

ConanThe3rd said:
I was under impression that was nothing but conservative saber rattling that would be untenable for a whole host of reasons.

Definitely sounds untenable, unless they plan on locking down the entire internet

As things stand the BBFC really do stand in the way, Patlabor would probably be viable if they didn't have to fork out so much per episode to get it rated. Essentially speaking anything longer than 13-26 episodes becomes a real risk unless it's known to be popular

I got the Madman release of the Patlabor OAV (didn't know!) and I assume that MVM are sharing the production costs with them. I asked Madman if they were planning to do the TV series on blu, but they said no - only the 2nd OAV series (I didnt ask about the movies). This obviously means that there is unlikely to be a version of the TV series for MVM to collaborate on... Shame.

I bought the Early Days DVD at release and I've just got round to watching it this week. I've just finished the first disc and although I wasn't prepared for the weirdess, rumour of giant mutated sea monster actually turns out to be giant mutated sea monster, I'm quite enjoying it. It's like a less manic Dominon Tank Police but it still contains enough random Japanese humuor.

From what I can gather in this thread, there's supposed to be an Early Days 2 release? Any news as to wether this is still coming out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually the Patlabor timelines are a bit more complicated than that:

Early Days is the 7 part first OAV
Then came the 47 (or 49?) part TV series which was a retelling, with slight difference, of the formation of the Unit, so is considered a new timeline
Then came another OAV, released in the US as "New Files" and which is set in the TV timeline - the episodes were originally released as bonus material on the laserdisc (!) release of Patlabor TV
There are three movies - never sure where they fit in to the timelines.. Could be either/both to be honest

So there's no Early Days 2 - Madman in AUS have only done a blu ray of the first OAV but are releasing the TV series dvd-only. They may do a blu-ray of New Files, but I guess it depends if the rest sells.

I hope someone can release the TV series of Patlabor over here, since I'd love to see that series in the best format possible.

burtkenobi said:
There are three movies - never sure where they fit in to the timelines.. Could be either/both to be honest
They fit into the same timeline as the early days OVAs (it's marked on the back of the Maiden Japan releases as the movie timeline).

I would the Patlabor tv series to get released over here i got the early days blu ray

I have it all on dvd and I was one who got the bluray thats out. I really want all of it on bluray.

I've seen all the films in hd (just waiting for funds to import the blurays) They look fantastic!

Back