UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Re: [UK Anime Distributor] The Official MVM Q&A Thread

I have to admit, I'm continually surprised at the success of GuP - never would I have placed it up there as one of the year's big sellers.

A shame to know Another didn't do too well, as it's an incredible show - though I'll be the first to say; super grateful you did do a Blu-Ray version of it, I bought a copy recently and it looks stunning in HD.

I think the Fate/Zero release is a prime example of getting a reasonably priced collector's edition right in this day and age - and it seems to have translated well; I think even now I still see it up there in the Amazon lists. Would be great to get another collection box like this for a big ticket show in 2015.

I'm fortunate enough to always be able to buy the Bluray version if it's released at the same time as the DVD. I know Another was an unusual case which was originally going to be on Bluray then just DVD then Bluray but as I'd already bought the DVD version I wasn't going to double up but I was annoyed even if it was a late decision by MVM.

I agree that it's hard to understand why a Bluray release is dependant on the success of the DVD. If I know a Bluray is possible I'll wait but by waiting I'm reducing sales on the DVD version which may prevent the Bluray. Catch22.

I have never understood why BR sales should be measured against DVD sales. They're effectively 2 different products, and I would think most people who want BR will just import if a UK BR isn't available, rather than buying the UK DVD.

Since Sentai are releasing Familiar of Zero Season 2 subtitle only on Blu-Ray in the states beginning of next year, will you be doing the same or will it be DVD only?

[/quote]

Great answer, very informative, thanks! :)

It must be a bit difficult when it comes to choosing what to put on BD then? I mean, Girls Und Panzer & Another got upgraded releases thanks to you guys hearing the fans pleas, you took the risk on us and it seems to have worked on one but not the other .. which for future releases leaves you in a pickle, does fans insistence of a title on BD guarantee sales? IMO.. No, however much that pains me.

Who'd have thought a "Moe girls driving tanks Anime" would sell more on BD than a horror in the UK? Mental. It must be hard, I don't envy you guys in the licensing industry.

I do have two questions you may or may not be able to answer ..
1) Due to seeing it on Amazon in a good sale ranking most of the time, did Kamisama Kiss do okay for you guys? It appeals to the Ouran/Fruit Basket crowd so between that & Amazon rankings I presumed it did alright? Just asking cause of the upcoming second season airing in January ;)
2) Did Familiar of Zero do well enough to warrant the second & third seasons getting a BD release? & Taking into consideration that as of writing they're not getting dubs :/[/quote]

We think Another didn't do so well because when we originally released it, we didn't think we'd be able to do BD, so a lot of fans imported it. We released it about 6 months later which of course came too late. Girls und Panzer sold better because both DVD and BD were released at the same time.

Kamisama Kiss has done ok - not as well as Fruits Basket but well enough. Chances are if and when the second season becomes available, we'll probably look into getting it.
Familiar of Zero seasons 2 & 3 will more than likely be on BD - we'd hate to do a Manga and release one season on BD, then the rest just on DVD.

Rui said:
It must indeed be very difficult to predict. Another and Kids on the Slope are both smashing titles which deserve to be successful, and there was quite a bit of promotion for the latter. You even took care to make sure the UK got the fixed disc and not Sentai's sloppy first attempt.

The appetite that the otaku crowd have for GuP has always been a mystery to me, but it's good to hear it did well here too. Even though I don't really understand why (lol). I was thinking just the other day that the general quality of titles you guys have been picking up in the last year or so has really leapt up; you have some top tier shows in your library and there really is something for absolutely everyone.

Have you considered doing more with streaming to help gauge what the paying UK audience is most interested in (or perhaps you look at that already)? It seems to work for the US distributors when identifying which titles are worth dubbing and putting out in high definition and it gives us an excuse to spread the word. I really appreciate that MVM titles are often available on streaming services like Crunchyroll but I don't know how much of the demographic information makes its way to you down the line.

On a not-entirely-unrelated point, if you pick up Kamisama Kiss s2 and FUNi lock it to the US for its streaming run, I will personally buy ten copies of the disc release if you can get it on a streaming service for UK people as well somehow (preferably Crunchyroll). I know it's not really your thing. Maybe twenty copies? ;_;

R

The whole streaming side I know Tony [the Boss] has looked into before but as to where we stand on that its still up in the air.

Elaniel said:
Since Sentai are releasing Familiar of Zero Season 2 subtitle only on Blu-Ray in the states beginning of next year, will you be doing the same or will it be DVD only?

Only on BD? Interesting. More than likely we'll be waiting to see what Australia does but we would prefer to release it on both DVD and BD.

MVM said:
Elaniel said:

Only on BD? Interesting. More than likely we'll be waiting to see what Australia does but we would prefer to release it on both DVD and BD.

Sorry, I meant subtitle only. It's coming to DVD and Blu-Ray though. Thanks for responding, would prefer to buy your guys' Blu-Ray though.

Given that DVD buyers will buy the DVD regardless, would you consider a delay between the Blu-ray and DVD release of a show, releasing the Blu-ray 2 weeks to a month ahead of the DVD to give the BD version some extra time to pick up sales first?

Just Passing Through said:
Given that DVD buyers will buy the DVD regardless, would you consider a delay between the Blu-ray and DVD release of a show, releasing the Blu-ray 2 weeks to a month ahead of the DVD to give the BD version some extra time to pick up sales first?

Sometimes we get stock in earlier than expected but we never really see an increase in sales with one or the other. The odd fan might be willing to spend the extra bit to get it sooner, but I think if people want it on BD or DVD, they'll simply wait a bit longer to get it on the preferred format.

Re: [UK Anime Distributor] MVM Entertainment Discussion Thre

I guess we can say this it... 1 week away from the release of Garden of Sinners and MVM doesnt have it in stock yet I guess so that's not a good sign :(

bakum4tsu said:
I guess we can say this it... 1 week away from the release of Garden of Sinners and MVM doesnt have it in stock yet I guess so that's not a good sign :(

So far all signs are positive that we'll get stock soon this week. When we do it'll be notified on FB/Twitter.

MVM said:
bakum4tsu said:

So far all signs are positive that we'll get stock soon this week. When we do it'll be notified on FB/Twitter.

I believe you will notify, just hope that it will be a happy notification eheh

Fingers crossed. I only saw this series a few months ago but I can't wait to watch it again.

I think MVM is right in that people will wait for their preferred version of a series if another is released first. For example, Bakemonogatari's Complete Collection and Kill la Kill's first volume were released on DVD shortly before blu-ray and while I could have just bought them on DVD when I had funds immediately available, I instead decided to wait for the blu-ray release - even if that means having to wait until I have money again (because of other expenses).

Heck, my preference for blu-ray is so strong that since winning Bakemonogatari Part 1 on DVD as part of a convention quiz's prize haul, my mindset has been to use the DVD as a sort of "free preview" and to pick up the blu-ray collection later down the line.

I asked for the blu ray version from the competition-only got it the other day but it looked amazing in blu ray.

I only go for DVD's these days if there's no BD around and even that, I might wait to see if the BD pops up later. I used to said that I was happy with DVD but that's no longer possible once I've confirmed the huge difference that there is in them.

Back