UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Re: [UK Anime Distributor] MVM Entertainment Discussion Thre

MVM:

Barring the Monogatari series, your Q1 slate seems all DVD. Were the 2014 Blu-Ray's not that successful? I know you mentioned Samurai Champloo not doing too great. Sorry, just being nosy as I really would like to support you guys more but I very rarely buy DVD's anymore.

In relation to Machiko and Hatchin, is there a possibility of when a complete DVD set is released, a complete Blu-Ray set will come out too? I presume it's based on the success of the parts. Perhaps even of ef ~A Tale of Memories and Melodies~? I recall a tweet that some of the titles from Q1 may add a Blu-Ray option.

I will definitely be buying your Log Horizon and other Blu-Rays when they're released.

Agent-347 said:
For MVM > Are there any plans to release Mayo Chiki with the dub on Blu-ray in the UK? *fingers crossed*

I know Madman hasn't released the dual audio version on Blu-ray, but perhaps you guys could look into it or do a collab?

On a side note I hope that there will be more Blu-ray releases and upgrades in Q2 next to the confirmed Log Horizon and Muv-Luv Alternative.

windcott said:
I hope MVM put Arakawa set 2 up on DOTW, I got set 1 when it was on DOTW, but they never put set 2 up, one would hope now that they've this complete set up they'd put set 2 up on DOTW as it can't be generating much more in terms of sales.
I hate to ruin your hope, but they won't judging preceding occurrences.

I have kept track and thus I have the list of every single Deal of the Week ever. Quite a few franchises have (had) only a single part of the series on deal.

- Witchblade vol 1-3 (what nowadays would be "part 1") has been on DOTW in 2010 and 2011 while vol 4-6 hasn't been on DOTW.
- Moribito part 2 was on the DOTW in 2011, but part 1 strangely enough has never been on their DOTW. This might however been a deal in their pre-DOTW era.
- Bodacious Space Pirates part 1 was on DOTW in 2013, part 2 has never been on DOTW. I can also confirm at this point it has been skipped this year.
- ef ~ A Tale of Melodies was on DOTW in 2014, A Tale of Memories has not been on DOTW.
- Arakawa Under The Bridge season 1 was on DOTW in 2014, season 2 has never been DOTW.
- Bakemonogatari part 1 was their only Mystery DOTW, in 2014. Part 2 has never entered DOTW.

As much as I don't like to break the news to you, but what they did is actually a sales tactic just like the artboxes with free slots.
The tactic is to force you to buy the other part (or season in your case) at full price after luring you into buying the other part cheap. Even shops like Zavvi and Amazon love to do that.

Essentially what happens/happened after a complete collection gets released they switch out the singles for the complete collection as the deal.
Does this mean it's not worth buying single seasons/parts when they first come around in DOTW? My response is: better safe than sorry.

PS1: I didn't mention Hakuoki, Infinite Stratos and Is This a Zombie? earlier as it is hard to predict what will happen with these. But yeah, my stance: better safe than sorry. (so wait a while)
PS2: Shakugan no Shana II will probably join DOTW when the complete collection is released this year. Ikkitousen S3 and S4 will probably join DOTW later on in 2015.
PS3: Love Hina Again and Rozen Maiden Ouverture have never been on DOTW and could be considered similar to what I said earlier. (MVM does not have the rights to Love Hina Again anymore though, to who doesn't know)

As far as I'm aware, there hasn't ever been a Witchblade 4-6. They had the singles, volumes 1-3 and the complete set.

windcott said:
I hope MVM put arakawa set 2 up on dotw, I got set 1 when it was on DOTW, but they never put set 2 up, one would hope now that they've this complete set up they'd put set 2 up on DOTW as it can't be generating much more in terms of sales.

We tend to just do the first season as DOTW to generate interest in the series. Season 2 of anything won't ever be DOTW.

Agent-347 said:
For MVM > Are there any plans to release Mayo Chiki with the dub on Blu-ray in the UK? *fingers crossed*

I know Madman hasn't released the dual audio version on Blu-ray, but perhaps you guys could look into it or do a collab?

On a side note I hope that there will be more Blu-ray releases and upgrades in Q2 next to the confirmed Log Horizon and Muv-Luv Alternative.

windcott said:
I hope MVM put Arakawa set 2 up on DOTW, I got set 1 when it was on DOTW, but they never put set 2 up, one would hope now that they've this complete set up they'd put set 2 up on DOTW as it can't be generating much more in terms of sales.
I hate to ruin your hope, but they won't judging preceding occurrences.

I have kept track and thus I have the list of every single Deal of the Week ever. Quite a few franchises have (had) only a single part of the series on deal.

- Witchblade vol 1-3 (what nowadays would be "part 1") has been on DOTW in 2010 and 2011 while vol 4-6 hasn't been on DOTW.
- Moribito part 2 was on the DOTW in 2011, but part 1 strangely enough has never been on their DOTW. This might however been a deal in their pre-DOTW era.
- Bodacious Space Pirates part 1 was on DOTW in 2013, part 2 has never been on DOTW. I can also confirm at this point it has been skipped this year.
- ef ~ A Tale of Melodies was on DOTW in 2014, A Tale of Memories has not been on DOTW.
- Arakawa Under The Bridge season 1 was on DOTW in 2014, season 2 has never been DOTW.
- Bakemonogatari part 1 was their only Mystery DOTW, in 2014. Part 2 has never entered DOTW.

As much as I don't like to break the news to you, but what they did is actually a sales tactic just like the artboxes with free slots.
The tactic is to force you to buy the other part (or season in your case) at full price after luring you into buying the other part cheap. Even shops like Zavvi and Amazon love to do that.

Essentially what happens/happened after a complete collection gets released they switch out the singles for the complete collection as the deal.
Does this mean it's not worth buying single seasons/parts when they first come around in DOTW? My response is: better safe than sorry.

PS1: I didn't mention Hakuoki, Infinite Stratos and Is This a Zombie? earlier as it is hard to predict what will happen with these. But yeah, my stance: better safe than sorry. (so wait a while)
PS2: Shakugan no Shana II will probably join DOTW when the complete collection is released this year. Ikkitousen S3 and S4 will probably join DOTW later on in 2015.
PS3: Love Hina Again and Rozen Maiden Ouverture have never been on DOTW and could be considered similar to what I said earlier. (MVM does not have the rights to Love Hina Again anymore though, to who doesn't know)

We wouldn't do Ouverture as its just a standalone and wouldn't really be much discount off. DOTW are meant more for collections or half sets at a reasonable and very good price.

Elaniel said:
MVM:

Barring the Monogatari series, your Q1 slate seems all DVD. Were the 2014 Blu-Ray's not that successful? I know you mentioned Samurai Champloo not doing too great. Sorry, just being nosy as I really would like to support you guys more but I very rarely buy DVD's anymore.

In relation to Machiko and Hatchin, is there a possibility of when a complete DVD set is released, a complete Blu-Ray set will come out too? I presume it's based on the success of the parts. Perhaps even of ef ~A Tale of Memories and Melodies~? I recall a tweet that some of the titles from Q1 may add a Blu-Ray option.

I will definitely be buying your Log Horizon and other Blu-Rays when they're released.

BD with anime is still very much hit and miss. As mentioned before we seem to find BD will sell better if it's still fairly new. Things with Sam Cham and Machiko have been available on BD for import for ages, so a lot of people would've already had them. We were hoping Sam Cham might have fared a little better but alas...can't always get it right.

Obviously it's too soon to say what will and what won't be going on BD, but we have quite a few good titles due out over the year that could do well on both formats. Again, too early to say at this moment.

And regards with Mayo Chiko English dub on BD we're looking into it.

MVM said:
Elaniel said:
MVM:

BD with anime is still very much hit and miss. As mentioned before we seem to find BD will sell better if it's still fairly new. Things with Sam Cham and Machiko have been available on BD for import for ages, so a lot of people would've already had them. We were hoping Sam Cham might have fared a little better but alas...can't always get it right.

Obviously it's too soon to say what will and what won't be going on BD, but we have quite a few good titles due out over the year that could do well on both formats. Again, too early to say at this moment.

And regards with Mayo Chiko English dub on BD we're looking into it.

Thanks very much for your responses! Looking forward to what titles are up and coming that could (hopefully) be Blu-Ray too!

I understand titles that are probably more than a year or so old that are available in R1 may not be viable, thanks for clarifying. Helps with deciding when to wait and not for imports/overseas licenses. Longer we wait, more doubtful a Blu-Ray will happen.

I wish you guys great success this year!

Trouble with Sam Cham is that it's too old, it's a good show sure, but it doesn't have the classic status of something like Bebop, so it falls through the gaps. We know it's good, but average joe overlooks it. It's on my list to pick up (once I double check reviews to make sure it's the god quality release that Funi did rather than the initial encode) but it's not super high as I own it on DvD already.

Rosencrantz said:
Trouble with Sam Cham is that it's too old, it's a good show sure, but it doesn't have the classic status of something like Bebop, so it falls through the gaps. We know it's good, but average joe overlooks it. It's on my list to pick up (once I double check reviews to make sure it's the god quality release that Funi did rather than the initial encode) but it's not super high as I own it on DvD already.

MVM's Blu-ray release of Samurai Champloo uses the exact same discs as Funimation's classics collection release.

Titan said:
Rosencrantz said:

MVM's Blu-ray release of Samurai Champloo uses the exact same discs as Funimation's classics collection release.

Oh, exact same as in region A/B like the listings imply? Or exact same as in the FUNimation versions but locked to region B to make them less convenient for me like the box art implies? ^^; Sorry for asking but Manga UK used to imply the former while meaning the latter so I've become paranoid.

I think the box art is really, really unappealing (sorry MVM!) but I'll place an order right now to show support if that's the case.

I don't know how much box art actually affects anything now online retail is so big, but psychologically speaking I find it a lot easier to justify a purchase of something which looks gorgeous on the outside too.

R, preparing to draw a replacement cover

Rui said:
Titan said:
Rosencrantz said:

Oh, exact same as in region A/B like the listings imply? Or exact same as in the FUNimation versions but locked to region B to make them less convenient for me like the box art implies? ^^; Sorry for asking but Manga UK used to imply the former while meaning the latter so I've become paranoid.

I think the box art is really, really unappealing (sorry MVM!) but I'll place an order right now to show support if that's the case.

I don't know how much box art actually affects anything now online retail is so big, but psychologically speaking I find it a lot easier to justify a purchase of something which looks gorgeous on the outside too.

R, preparing to draw a replacement cover

Discs are region A/B (just tested in my region A player to be sure), they boot up with Funimation's logo.

I am assuming that you use the Australian masters of the garden of sinners because singing in the rain was cut =(. Would it have been possible to have gotten the aniplex us dvd masters?

Hey MVM I noticed you modified the Super Sonico trailer to include your name to promote the release (pretty cool by the way). Probably a tough task, but have you considered adding your own trailers to your upcoming releases (or at least request whoever's doing the Region B master to add them on for the Region B side of the disc, similar to when the company logo shows up at the beginning), could help increase your future titles.

NormanicGrav said:
Hey MVM I noticed you modified the Super Sonico trailer to include your name to promote the release (pretty cool by the way). Probably a tough task, but have you considered adding your own trailers to your upcoming releases (or at least request whoever's doing the Region B master to add them on for the Region B side of the disc, similar to when the company logo shows up at the beginning), could help increase your future titles.

I keep seeing the Valvrave trailers on MVM discs and getting excited - and then remembering they haven't licensed it (yet...???)

NormanicGrav said:

Technically they are already doing this (well to an extent at least); as 90% of trailers included in their recent releases are promoting products that have either been released or are about to be released in the coming weeks.

Only difference is that those trailers are the Australian versions (probably easier considering the discs are being authored in Australia).

MangaUK need to stop doing that too. Whenever I load up my High School DxD disc, I see a trailer for Haganai...

Joshawott said:
MangaUK need to stop doing that too. Whenever I load up my High School DxD disc, I see a trailer for Haganai...

That's because MangaUK opted to use the disc masters created by FUNimation. The American, Australian and UK releases are 'exactly' the same; its just the artwork (disc and packaging) that have been altered (slightly) for each region.

The UK Blu-ray releases for Fairy Tail (Collection 1 and 2 & Parts 5 to 8) are exactly the same; same disc masters as created by FUNimation, and the same discs used in Australia.

Its easy to understand why MangaUK would do this; as their is no re-authoring costs involved simply re-package and distribute - although it can lead to confusion when you see trailers for stuff that may never be released legally in this country xD

They need to sort the chapters on their releases out. Watching Psycho Pass and having to fast forward the intro everytime. Not a massive deal but it's very annoying.

Dan said:
They need to sort the chapters on their releases out. Watching Psycho Pass and having to fast forward the intro everytime. Not a massive deal but it's very annoying.

That's what happens when they author their own discs domestically.

Back