UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Re: UK Anime Distributor Representative: MVM Q&A Thread

reborn said:
Hey MVM rep

Is there any specific reason why your releases need to include a 'disc count' art on the front cover and/or spine? Also going based on memory here, but is there a reason why you use different art to represent a count sometimes?

Yes I'm curious about this too, it really adds a lot of logo bloat to your covers and seems unneeded given this info could be on the back cover in the technical info box.

reborn said:
Hey MVM rep

Is there any specific reason why your releases need to include a 'disc count' art on the front cover and/or spine? Also going based on memory here, but is there a reason why you use different art to represent a count sometimes?

It's something the designer does, sort of automatic and the Boss usually checks its on the front, side and back. Personally I think it can just be on the back but c'est la vie...and I don't really have any proper answer to the different art for disc count - again I think it's just what the designer goes with.

MVM said:
reborn said:
Hey MVM rep

It's something the designer does, sort of automatic and the Boss usually checks its on the front, side and back. Personally I think it can just be on the back but c'est la vie...and I don't really have any proper answer to the different art for disc count - again I think it's just what the designer goes with.
The disc count art probably comes down to whether the designer is editing Madman's or Hanabee's covers.
Speaking of cover art, no offence to your designer but who thinks it's a good idea to have so many logo's on your covers? Call me petty, but that's one of the biggest reasons why I rarely buy your releases over an import, they just look messy and ugly in comparison. Neo Quote and bland spine/logo placement on spine aside, Broken Blade is one of your better designs. I want to support you guys more given how much effort you've put it over the last year to license more titles, both niche and high profile, but when I compare a pretty US release priced around the same it's an easy choice to make. [/moan]

Anyway, moaning aside, do you know whether the BBFC logo HAS to be on the spine? I seem to remember reading that you only need it if the spine exceeds a certain width.
If you go into HMV for example you'll see a whole bunch of releases which don't have it - even Nisemonogatari for example. My copy of Sword of the Stranger from Beez doesn't have one either.

Would MVM consider doing artbox's..

Limited Edition Set 1: Artbox + DVD/BR
Standard Set 1: DVD/BR

Standard Set 2 DVD/BR (What can slide into the LTD Edition artbox)

MVM said:
reborn said:
Hey MVM rep

If the Boss checks for it, it sounds like the designer auto adds it because they know the Boss is checking to see it's there. Which makes it tricky to question, but I'm sure it could be flagged up that fans think MvM suffers from logo bloat, point them to this thread perhaps?

Mangaranga said:
Anyway, moaning aside, do you know whether the BBFC logo HAS to be on the spine? I seem to remember reading that you only need it if the spine exceeds a certain width.
If you go into HMV for example you'll see a whole bunch of releases which don't have it - even Nisemonogatari for example. My copy of Sword of the Stranger from Beez doesn't have one either.
I mentioned it a few time on here before. The BBFC logo is NOT needed on spines that aren't wider than 2cm! (CTRL+F "2cm" on the BBFC regulations page.)

MVM representative, do me a favor and show that post I linked to your boss.
I'm pretty sure most of MVM's volumes could be better and will perform better if the spines didn't include the BBFC and disc count logos.

And I agree with others, it DOES influence MY decisions on whether to get a title to a certain extent. A good example of a title I don't want to get JUST because of the BBFC logo being in the "middle" of the SPINE: IRIA. The problem in this case is more where the BBFC logo was put rather than it being there overall, but this is most definitely a release that doesn't need it on the spine.

Complete collections will always need a BBFC logo on the spine if you continue using your current amaray packaging, sadly enough.
But it can be avoided for volumes (eg. Accel World, From the New World, Needless,..) and 1-cour shows (Familiar of Zero, Campione, Inu x Boku SS,...).

The disc count number label should just be on the back. Looking at Manga's releases next to MVM's releases it just hurts my eyes to see those disc counts there on the front and spine.

Also, in general I would love it if UK Anime distributors would communicate about clean reversible covers...

Hey, please take no offense to what I write, as someone who uses social media to advertise, I just wanted to put some thoughts/ideas to you.

Was just having a think after seeing someone comment on your facebook that they had no idea Usagi Drop was licensed, have you considered doing a facebook post at the start of each month with images of the shows you've got coming out in said month? and/or on every Monday, posting a photo w/ links (Your own shop & Amazon) with that days new releases? It may help get the titles more out there & make people aware of them having a release.

Even during a month or so before release, you could do what Manga do and do a post with an image (could just be a photo from the show) and say when it's coming out?

With all these, I would suggest directly upoading to facebook, most of the posts on the page are sent via Twitter, not everyone has Twitter and can see all of what you post.

I recall before, after an expo, you posted a big image of all the titles licensed, that would be another good idea to continue to do, and do the same as that one time ..ask what people are buying from your announcements.

As the smaller of the three in terms of Anime fans awareness, getting out there more on social media in the above way is a good step forward IMO.

I agree with Dannielle, I always used to forget when your titles were coming due to lack of promotion, so now I have to write them in my diary.

Obviously you don't need to go over board, as I think Manga does sometimes, but perhaps a post w/ an image when the title is licensed, again once it's up for pre order, again when it's in stock (your store) and at the month of release - like Dannielle said, 'Out this month' *insert images here*

Manga definitely goes overboard on Facebook, posting too many times about releases way in the future. I'd rather see fewer posts covering more releases at once. However I realize that Facebook is made in such a way that you need to post a lot to be seen.

GolGotha said:
I agree with Dannielle, I always used to forget when your titles were coming due to lack of promotion, so now I have to write them in my diary.

Obviously you don't need to go over board, as I think Manga does sometimes, but perhaps a post w/ an image when the title is licensed, again once it's up for pre order, again when it's in stock (your store) and at the month of release - like Dannielle said, 'Out this month' *insert images here*

We do actually do majority of this anyway, just without images - new licenses are [obviously] posted, and when new titles are ready to pre order, another post is up with the links, and when stock actually arrives, we post [all on fb which integrates into twitter] with the link to our shop.

But I'll see what I can do if I have a quiet moment.
Matt

black1blade said:
Why was garden of sinners pushed back to 15th December?

Because of the artbox - everything else is ready - the artbox is just taking forever to get printed and made up etc. We're hoping it won't be pushed again as we'd like it to be available before Christmas.

License question - any news on Shana season3 yet? It'd be a shame if we can't get the final series.

Thanks

Random said:
License question - any news on Shana season3 yet? It'd be a shame if we can't get the final series.

Thanks

Nothing yet, but we are actively chasing it.

MVM said:
black1blade said:
Why was garden of sinners pushed back to 15th December?

Because of the artbox - everything else is ready - the artbox is just taking forever to get printed and made up etc. We're hoping it won't be pushed again as we'd like it to be available before Christmas.
Okay thanks.

bakum4tsu said:
MVM said:
Random said:

Thanks

Nothing yet, but we are actively chasing it.

Ok I guess I'll go and ask for this license since it suit you so well :p

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9989/Ano_H ... a_Shiranai

We've already got this on the list of ones to look at but thanks anyway.

Back