UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Paradox295 said:
So, are you losing the license to Ergo Proxy?

Sadly the license is expiring on us BUT we are actively trying to renew it - it's just taking a long time so we can't promise anything.

Lawrence said:
MVM are really cool, like my favourite company you know.

But what would be really awesome is if you could license Kaiji, sounds like a good idea, no?

Not sure on that one but I'll have a look at it and make some notes for the boss to browse through.

robot monkey said:
MVM said:
robot monkey said:
No doubt this question will not particularly win me any friends on here as I know it's not a particularly well liked show about these parts. But I will ask anyway, after Dragon Destiny do you have any plans to release the next season of Ikki Tousen - Great Guardians?

Considering how well the first season did for us, we're going to wait and see how Dragon Destiny sells before making any decisions - if it does then chances are if we can get it, we'll get it.

That's good to hear. Will you be looking to get any of Media Blasters other titles, I would have thought some of them would be quite commercial in the UK market?

We're always actively looking and considering we've licensed some of Media Blasters titles before there's always a possibility.

MVM said:
We're always actively looking and considering we've licensed some of Media Blasters titles before there's always a possibility.

That is interesting, so for example you would look into recent titles like Bakuman and Squid Girl? That would be cool!

Although I consider this to be an impossible task for you guys, the Media Blaster's license for Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei has been delayed in the USA and show no signs of a recent future release.

Would you consider licensing it if it was somehow dubbed and don't mind the US delay? I know you guys don't release just subbed boxsets but I would love to see this series released one day?

Reevothemusefan said:
MVM said:

That is interesting, so for example you would look into recent titles like Bakuman and Squid Girl? That would be cool!

Although I consider this to be an impossible task for you guys, the Media Blaster's license for Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei has been delayed in the USA and show no signs of a recent future release.

Would you consider licensing it if it was somehow dubbed and don't mind the US delay? I know you guys don't release just subbed boxsets but I would love to see this series released one day?

Would any of those titles be that commercial in the UK market, there are other titles they have that would be more obvious commercial targets?

devilrules666 said:
and don't flood the market with crap like Vampire Dance Bud, Sekrei, Samurai Girls and Strike Witches.

Can't speak particularly for the others, but DitVB's actually not a bad show. Reasonably enjoyable and a semi-decent ending even if it does leave a plot thread for a second season. It's not what I'd call an A-Star show, but its certainly not a show I can say I'm offended to have out in the UK. More choice to cater to all audiences and all.

Also Strike Witches, never seen it, but have heard enough to know it seems to be popular.

MVM - please feed back my thanks to Tony, who dealt with my issue with an Anime-On-Line order (RE:Shana)

I was very impressed with what he did for me, his attitude, and the effort he put into his response rather than some of the 'stock format' message you often get elsewhere, and will be certainly shopping with yourselves again.

I have posted how good the CS was on a few other forums, and mentioned it to a couple of friends, so hopefully one good turn will lead to others :)

Re: UK Anime Distributor Representative: MVM Q&A Thread

MVM did you ever look in to the cult anime called . Higarashi no koro ni aka When They Cry? Its never been released in the uk but its been released by geneon and funimation in the USA , also it is available be siren visiual in austrailia. It seems to have a big following like elfin lied. The Last thing I want to do is buy one from the usa/aus.

I believe Funimation have said they're never going anywhere near the series ever again and anything like it so I doubt MVM want to take the risk.

Shame, I wouldn't mind getting it myself.

reborn said:
I believe Funimation have said they're never going anywhere near the series ever again and anything like it so I doubt MVM want to take the risk.

They did indeed, infact I think they ruled anything similar out aswell due to it just not selling.

Which is odd, because it's well liked and I recall the 2nd half being one of the top 5 desired licences.

Do what I did and grab the Aus release

Rosencrantz said:
reborn said:

They did indeed, infact I think they ruled anything similar out aswell due to it just not selling.

Which is odd, because it's well liked and I recall the 2nd half being one of the top 5 desired licences.

Do what I did and grab the Aus release

It is a title we've been asked previously and I even had the first disc to watch and give my personal opinion. It's certainly an interesting series and I think the Boss did look into it but never went further than that. If it didn't sell well in America or Australia it doesn't bode well for the UK, but never say never.

Boxsets of Higurashi sell for about £60 - £80 on ebay, I know that prices on ebay should be taken with a pinch of salt, but if I remember correctly Elfen Lied was selling for a similar price when that became out of print. And as of now, it's at #35 in the Best Sellers in the Anime section on Amazon.

Obviously, you understand your market better than us in terms of sales, but I do think that it should be re-considered, especially if you can sub-licence it from Siren.

I very much doubt Siren have the UK license for them to sub-license it.

Here's what FUNimation's Sophie McNutt actually said about Higurashi:

Sophie said:
Hey, guys. I'm on the Acquisitions Team, so here's your answer straight up. I hope this doesn't come off as too blunt. Please understand that this is just how it is.

artist_for_hire said:
At the very least Sentai Flimworks could license Kai for a subtitle only release, you know like how they did for Hell Girl seasons 2 & 3 (What the hell happened Funi? Why no Hell Girl seasons 2 & 3 dub?).
Because not enough people bought Hell Girl season 1. Hell Girl had a lot of marketing support behind it. We actually did a bit more for that show since that was in the early days when we didn't have as many shows. Not enough people buy dramas.

Whey They Cry has expired and is past the sell-off period. It was the only WTC series that was a part of the original distro deal with Geneon. We renewed the titles that were part of that deal that did sell well. We let expire the ones that didn't. That inludes my beloved The Familar of Zero.

The WTC sequels and Umineko were not part of that agreement. We do not have the license to any of those series. Unfortunately, because WTC series 1 sold poorly, we will never buy the license to the sequels or any other title that bears even a minor resemblance.

You're better off asking Sentai or Nozomi to do at least a sub-only of the other WTC's. Heck, you could probably get the money together to license and distribute them yourselves. It's probably not expensive anymore. If Umineko sold as poorly in Japan as you say it did, then go after that one. It's not as big an undertaking as you might think especially if you pool your money.

Aside from that, the best thing you can do as fans is to buy series 1 from Amazon (so we can track it) and continue to post in the forum about how much you enjoy the show.

You can ask at cons or email Feedback, but do you know what will happen? Rojas will forward everything to me or my coworker. You've gotten through to exactly who you needed to, so mission accomplished. I'm aware of the series, and I love me some Sea Cats. Hell, I've cosplayed as Beato, and I'm playing the game. Unfortunately, I have to look at sales data, and signs point to not buying the sequels or Umineko and instead putting our money toward less riskier titles.

Back