UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Maquia is good visualy, but the storytelling is kinda... meh.
The director Mari Okada is know for not being really good a directing, too much drama, she not bad but she need to be under a supervisor who can manage her ideas.

Okada not good at directing? Where does that come from? Maquia is her feature debut as a director, her only other experience being some shorts she directed in the past.

Im still finding th e mixed reception to HF funny its by far the best anime film seen this far superior to Maqua, and I know I will prefer to Mirai.
I think its because I read the VNs and I know FSN inside out, its far superior to Zero and HF demonstrates that to me.

My understanding from the Fate fans I know is that it's basically a massive circle jerk, which I suppose makes sense considering it's the third alternative route to a story you need to be familiar with already, but marketing it as a piece of broad entertainment won't do it any favours for the curious or uninitiated who won't have the requisite knowledge of previous events, or the memetic qualities of the visual novel. Characters more or less pause for applause, while in-community jokes like the mapo-tofu scene are played up to ridiculous effect. It's a movie that kinda demands you already understand the culture and deserves to be watched with a group of similarly ingrained & passionate fans for the maximum experience.

I saw several of the battle scenes, but other than appreciating Ufotable's incredible digital processing, I have no real love in my heart for Fate so I wouldn't be in a position to judge it properly. And while I also didn't really enjoy Maquia, those two films are so different that even to try & compare or rank them together feel kinda redundant.

Watching Maquia immediately after reading Mari Okada's autobiography was a fascinating and genuinely insightful experience, so I'll always admire the work on an intellectual level. Suddenly all the strange curiosities I've had with her earlier works all the way back to Ano Hana and Hanasaku Iroha, such as the odd juxtaposition of fantastical/bittersweet stories with spiteful and acidic characters, the surprisingly rigid gender essentialism or just the complicated depictions of parental figures, suddenly made a lot more sense now that I had confirmation that her somewhat jaded and scornful attitudes on people (particular youths) wasn't something I had been imagining. The book or the film did nothing to alleviate of my issues with her writing, but I still find her fascinating as a creator to be interested in checking out all her original works. I'm a day one ticket buyer, if not necessarily a fan. :)

I hate Maquia because it kind condones rape pregnancy the other girl gets raped but because she has kid she has to stay. Then at the end she meets her daughter finally and then just pisses off what.. I didn’t get it. And I love Maquia also pissed off then why would she pop up at her sons death it was some grim meeting. And most I know who are mothers enjoy moving on to being a grandmother nah not this film let’s just piss off because we have to. Why did they have to live in different world they never explained it.

And Fate rewards you for being a fan what a surprise. I knew what I would get from Fate so that why I like franchises film far more than stand alone arty ones that always look nice but seem bit shallow when I think about them Your Name, Maquia.

Last edited:
Okada not good at directing? Where does that come from? Maquia is her feature debut as a director, her only other experience being some shorts she directed in the past.

Maquia is her debut at directing indeed, but I maintain that is not a perfect debut, the others works where she was on the script side (for Exemple AnoHana, Kiznaiver, Anthem, etc.) where a little better in term of storytelling (maybe not Kiznaiver) because there was directors above her, and those directors managed to keep in check her ideas.
I should have used an other term than "no good at directing" but instead "she need a supervisor who can manage her scipt/ideas".

Can we just all agree that Lull in the Sea is Okada's best work? 😛

I also loved Heaven's Feel btw and I'm far from being the most knowledgeable Fate fan.

AnoHana is for me but it may be because I've dealt with grief so it resonated a lot. Lull in the sea is second for me yeah.
That and Anthem of the Heart for me. As with you the latter dealt with an issue I had a personal experience with.
Also IBO was very good. All with the same director which backs up what @Iluvatar said about needing someone to be controlling her ideas.
I had problems with Maquia, but would still be interested if she directed again.

Back