Movie recommendations

Sy

Time-Traveller
I have a great selection of anime series to look forward to watching(Master Keaton, Captain Tylr, Niea_7) or finishing(Chrono Crusade, Paranoia Agent, Texhnolyze) but it occured to me that I don't actually have many anime movies. All I have is....

Cowboy Bebop
Ah My Goddess
You're Under arrest
Akira
Perfect Blue
Death and Rebirth/End of Evangelion
Blood: The last vampire
Ghost in the Shell(I have Innocence on pre-order)
Metropolis(blech, among other things I hated the character designs)

Now i'm not really into giant robo mecha type stuff at all, in fact the only mecha series that I can say I really enjoy is Evangelion. I've also seen a few Ghibli films and wasn't impressed, they don't make me want to see any more and i'll probably never watch them again(Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke).

Can somebody recommend me some good movies please. :)

Millennium Actress is a great film - not in the same psychological thriller style as Perfect Blue but it's really artistic. Th other one by Kon is Tokyo Godfathers: I haven't seen it personally but have heard good things about it.

Appleseed is probably the best-looking sci fi film around at the mo, and isn't as much of a 'style over substance' as might be expected. If you enjoyed Akira, head over to play.com and pick up Memories - three shortish (but very good) films. There's bound to be at least one of the three to your taste, and at around £5.99 it's no great loss of you don't like it.

Hope that helps. :D

Concrete badger said:
Appleseed is probably the best-looking sci fi film around at the mo, and isn't as much of a 'style over substance' as might be expected.
I saw that quite recently and couldn't even sit through the whole thing. The cel shaded 3d looked really bad to me and took away any chance of me actually enjoying the movie.

I think I might pick up Memories though if it's that cheap. I've actually had the soundtrack for a while but never thought of actually watching it. ;)

Escaflowne the movie
Voices of a Distant Star (good if you want to get mushy with a girl)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (miles better then the first)
Street Fighter the movie (the first one)
Ninja Scroll (raw action)

Grave of the Fireflies is not your standard Ghibli affair it’s really good.

Voices of a Distant Star is one of the best movies I've ever seen, it's romance/scifi with (IMHO) amazing artwork. Although it's quite expensive for something only about 20 minutes long, so you may want to rent it.

I'd also second Concrete Badgers recommendation for anything Kon. His other movies aren't as tense or violent as Perfect Blue, but they're still noticeably in his own style.

Dragon of Heaven said:

A gril who likes mecha that is :p Beyond the Clouds aka The Place Promised In Our Early Days, also by Makoto Shinkai, is similar and without the mecha and works better with girls

I can only second the Kon and Voices/Place Promised Recommendations, as well as Ghibli's Grave of the Fireflies, which, let me assure you, is far from whimiscal, light Miyazaki.

Escaflowne the movie
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (miles better then the first)
Street Fighter the movie (the first one)
Ninja Scroll (raw action)

These all seem like good options to me - although Escaflowne tries to fit an entire 26 episode series into an hour and a half - and does worse than Evangelion's "Death". You're better off with the series...

Both the Vampire Hunter D movies have a bit of substance - Steamboy is also worth a look - and if you're a fan of Tenchi (I am) then a couple of those can be picked up dirt cheap on the Amazon market place.

Also, if you're looking for some light hearted, no-strings-or-mental-strain-fun, then you can't go wrong with any Pokemon movie - although Mew vs. Mewtwo is the best I've seen. Lol - or, if you're feeling really bold. you could opt for some Yu-Gi-Oh! - friendship and all that jazz :wink:

I ordered Memories off of play.com and I think i'll check out Tokyo Godfathers, Bloodlust, Millennium Actress and Grave of the Fireflies. If I ever see Voices of a Distant Star I might pick it up, it's mecha but I heard the entire thing was made by one person and that alone makes me curious about seeing it.

I've seen a good lot of the Escaflowne series but couldn't finish it(I think I got up to about episode 16). If the movie is just a compressed version of the series then i'll leave it be. As for Ninja Scroll, Ninja/Samurai series tend to bore me to death so I can't see me particually enjoying it. Not a Tenchi fan at all really.

Thanks for the suggestions people.

These all seem like good options to me - although Escaflowne tries to fit an entire 26 episode series into an hour and a half - and does worse than Evangelion's "Death". You're better off with the series...

Actually it doesn’t do worse then Evangelion, “Deathâ€

Well I've had a chance to watch some of the movies you guys recommended to me...

Tokyo Godfathers - Win
Grave of the Fireflies - Win
Escaflowne - Fail

Tokyo Godfathers was easily my favourite and I was quite suprised about Grave of the Fireflies, it was a really great movie! Escaflowne on the other hand... well it just didn't appeal to me.

Waiting for Memories, Voices of a Distant Star and Millennium Actress to arrive now. :)

Escaflowne on the other hand... well it just didn't appeal to me.

I can see how some people wouldn't like that type of anime, it's really aimed at specific audience. The person that recommended to me is really into Final Fantasy so I’d say it really appeals to that crowd.
[/code]

Dragon of Heaven said:

Actually it doesn’t do worse then Evangelion, “Deathâ€

strange i always thought that the Escaflowne movie was a different retelling of the manga

oh wait it is :roll:

Ryo Chan said:

strange i always thought that the Escaflowne movie was a different retelling of the manga

oh wait it is :roll:

It also does an extremely bad job of it for me. Lots of central characters are cut out from the story so that it can conform to basic movie conventions, and the whole epic-quality of the story is sacrificed; that's why I said it tried to cram the T.V. series into an hour and half movie. Perhaps that wasn't the best way to word it, and while it does have changes and new character design, I really thought it did an awful job and didn't do Escaflowne any justice. I also think it's fair enough to say that if you want to get into Escaflowne then you're far better off with the T.V. series, rather than a movie that just doesn't have enough in, but I'm sorry if I wasn't specific enough :wink:

It also does an extremely bad job of it for me. Lots of central characters are cut out from the story so that it can conform to basic movie conventions, and the whole epic-quality of the story is sacrificed; that's why I said it tried to cram the T.V. series into an hour and half movie. Perhaps that wasn't the best way to word it, and while it does have changes and new character design, I really thought it did an awful job and didn't do Escaflowne any justice. I also think it's fair enough to say that if you want to get into Escaflowne then you're far better off with the T.V. series, rather than a movie that misses an awful lot of important characters and plot development out, but I'm sorry if I wasn't specific enough

heh sorry if it sounded like i'm yelling (having bad day at college)

what i'm trying to say is when you compaired it to Death from Evangelion your giving people who haven't seen it yet the wrong idea.

As said earlier, all Death is, is clips from the series thrown together. Where as Escaflowne is a completly new thing.

I agree with you to the point of comparing it to the series the movie has nothing on it, but as a seperate movie i quite enjoyed it

Ryo Chan said:
heh sorry if it sounded like i'm yelling (having bad day at college)

No problem, I'm in the same boat. First day back sucks...

what i'm trying to say is when you compaired it to Death from Evangelion your giving people who haven't seen it yet the wrong idea.

As said earlier, all Death is, is clips from the series thrown together. Where as Escaflowne is a completly new thing.

I agree with you to the point of comparing it to the series the movie has nothing on it, but as a seperate movie i quite enjoyed it

I can understand what you're saying, and you're completely right. Escaflowne is a completely new thing, and should be counted as seperate from the series. In complete contrast to Eva.

My only issue is that overall it only touches on a story that has so much more to offer in the same way Eva did - perhaps it's just my anger at it for not being as good as I had hoped it to be getting the better of me!

The manga, the movie and the anime are all so completely different that I was surprised because most manga to anime are just an exact retellings, I stop getting a lot of manga because they where just too much like the anime. I think it would be great if they were all slightly different retellings, it just feels like you’re getting something new instead of a rehash.

Meanwhile, back on the topic... :D

The Patlabor films are good, decent stories, good animation, have dated well. You may not be a fan of things mecha but Patlabor is more than that, you have a lot more of the crime mystery/police procedural about it than the 'usual mecha stuff'
(ie. "OMG! Aliens from space! Get the giant robos they are our only hope nooooo we've made the cockpits too small and now they're only fit to be piloted by children!!1!!!!!!!!!1!).

In summary : Patlabor.

Back