More Viz manga boxsets

Yay pictures! :] Thanks Dave (nice name, btw!)

All of those sets look brilliant - especially the Death Note one, which is the one I'm most likely to pick up!

I'd be very hesitant to buy one of these after the Naruto one, I bought it for the case and that and it came broken and I got another one and it came broken...

I hope i can get Dragonball and Z.
Then just to flog my 1-6 of Dragonball.
Though i'm also interested in the vizbig Dragonball and Z.
DAMN YOU VIZ!

The sets look really nice - not so sure about the Naruto one, compared to the original box it looks a bit tacky.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it rather amusing that on the Death Note pictures, volume 12 is randomly shoved in the middle of the set rather than at the end. Kinda confused me at first because I thought it just went 11 then 13

CitizenGeek said:
You obviously don't know anime/manga fans; even tiny, irrelevant edits are the end of the world as we know it to them. They're probably disgusted that they have to read manga in dirty, dirty English (!) instead of in Japanese ;]

So are you condoning the fact that Viz, on religious ground, edited a double page spread of a stone cross into a rectangle stone block?

To generalise "anime/manga fans" in such a way is utterly pointless and without thought, and coming from someone like you who makes all these threads on all kinds of issues, it baffles me as to why you'd come out with such a daft idea.

melonpan said:
So are you condoning the fact that Viz, on religious ground, edited a double page spread of a stone cross into a rectangle stone block?

Certainly, I would have preferred it to be unedited, but it's not the end of the world as we know it and I really wish that anime/manga fans would stop with these egregious, frequent overreactions.

To generalise "anime/manga fans" in such a way is utterly pointless and without thought, and coming from someone like you who makes all these threads on all kinds of issues, it baffles me as to why you'd come out with such a daft idea.

It's not that much of a generalisation. Most anime/manga fans have made themselves allergic to anything even approximating 'Americanisation'.

CitizenGeek said:

It's not that much of a generalisation. Most anime/manga fans have made themselves allergic to anything even approximating 'Americanisation'.

And you have a problem with that? For what reason is it wrong to be annoyed when something is localised to a point that you lose the original point of what's being said? For example changing Japanese puns until American ones because it costs 'too much' money to produce some liner notes with the original meaning. Would you agree that all sub-only fans are "egregious" because they don't like listening to anime in English, because it's been 'Americanised' too far for them, or maybe they just prefer listening to the show in Japanese?

What's your view on censorship? Your comment was just whimsical right?
Or maybe you really don't care about censorship on the grounds of religion.

CitizenGeek said:
melonpan said:

Certainly, I would have preferred it to be unedited, but it's not the end of the world as we know it and I really wish that anime/manga fans would stop with these egregious, frequent overreactions.

Yeah you're right, it's not the end of the world as we know it, but all the same if it goes on for long enough who knows how far it could go to a larger extent on other Viz properties. 4Kids is bad enough changing the skin colour of a pirate from black to white, and though not directly related to Viz at all, it just shows what a company can get away with.

Also, to call it an 'egregious' overreaction is overboard. Why should a fan not care for things like this? That really ticks me off.

There are plenty of real 'egregious' overractions that actually matter in the grand scheme of things in the world - caring about manga censorship is certainly not one of them.

It doesn't matter if he cares about it not...they'll do it anyway. Get over it. =|

...and as if anyone honestly prefers watching something in a language they don't understand! Watching subs-only is just another form of "hardcore" online fan elitism (but I'm sure some people honestly do enjoy watching Engrish subbed Hong Kong VHS anime because it gives a really authentic experience!), like people bashing popular stuff even though they loved it before it was popular. ;)

melonpan said:
And you have a problem with that? For what reason is it wrong to be annoyed when something is localised to a point that you lose the original point of what's being said?

When has FUNimation, ADV, Bandai or Viz every 'localised' something to the extent that it's original meaning is fully, or even partially, lost? That just doesn't happen, and I know you have nothing to back up that statement with. 4Kids is different to those companies entirely, and I've never defended their actions, so any point concerning them is moot entirely.

For example changing Japanese puns until American ones because it costs 'too much' money to produce some liner notes with the original meaning.

A joke is not funny if it has to be explained for you. This is the reason altering puns (which, by the way, never have any impact on the storyline) is not such a bad idea.

Would you agree that all sub-only fans are "egregious" because they don't like listening to anime in English, because it's been 'Americanised' too far for them, or maybe they just prefer listening to the show in Japanese?

Having a personal preference for Japanese voice acting is perfectly ok, but deriding English dubbing as automatically inferior is utterly ridiculous and it's that attitude with which I have a problem.

Or maybe you really don't care about censorship on the grounds of religion.

Like I've already pointed out: I would prefer anime and manga not to be edited, yes. But it honestly doesn't bother me to any kind of significant extent because it rarely ever impacts even slightly on the original work.

As for the religious point, changing a cross to a different, less provocative shape in Fullmetal Alchemist is really a trivial matter. First of all, FMA is not about religion and it certainly has nothing to do with Christianity; so what difference does this edit make to the manga? It doesn't, at all. So, yes, it is an egregious overreaction to chastise Viz for doing this.

Yeah you're right, it's not the end of the world as we know it, but all the same if it goes on for long enough who knows how far it could go to a larger extent on other Viz properties.

There's nothing to suggest that Viz altering one single panel in the FMA manga will eventually snowball the industry to the point whereby localised versions of anime are indistinguishable from their Japanese originals. Where are you getting such a nonsensical idea from?

Some people use this ridiculous censorship issue as an excuse not to buy manga or anime and to just pirate it instead and that's really quite idiotic.

CitizenGeek said:
First of all, FMA is not about religion and it certainly has nothing to do with Christianity; so what difference does this edit make to the manga? It doesn't, at all.

I haven't read the manga, but I'm quite sure you're completely wrong. What, with the 'bad guys' being named after the very Christian 7 Sins, and hence the cross.

As for the rest, you could make a counter argument to anything anyone thinks up, so I'm drawling the line there. Feel free to disect any amount of this post to create yet more counter-arguments.

FMA manga has religious beliefs clashing in it, like Scar and his own path of revenge for the massacre of people because their beliefs were different + different culture, way of life, etc. Though it's partially true the reality is soon revealed.

The edit of the manga itself is so Christians don't rage, it doesn't change the story or anything, Greed was held on a cross and because it really WAS a cross Viz edited it to being a giant slabbed boulder, if someone didn't tell you about it you REALLY wouldn't know the difference.

Yeah its not like the slab of boulder comes back to take revenge and effect the story in some way. I definitely don't don't stop and thing "hmmm if only that slab of rock was more in the shape of a cross I would be more immersed"

To be fair though, i dont think this point is being directly made about the slab. Mainly because of its major unimportance. But the point stands, why did they edit it? Probably because if christians got a hold of it, they'd kick up a small fuss which could potentially bother viz. Its silly though. Criminals were cruicified all the time by the Romans [if i'm correct], yet they dont edit these from the bible because only jesus may don their holy symbol.

melonpan said:
I haven't read the manga, but I'm quite sure you're completely wrong. What, with the 'bad guys' being named after the very Christian 7 Sins, and hence the cross.

The naming of the villains after the 7 deadly sins is entirely superficial and this is very obvious. Scar comes from a religious background but Christianity is in no way involved. The only reason the artist placed a cross there was because it's much more visually striking than a simple slab. That's it. There's nothing important about it. This tiny, isolated incident of Viz editing a potentially offensive and completely trivial single panel is not the end of the world, it's not an excuse to just pirate the manga instead and it's certainly not worthy of complaint.

As for the rest, you could make a counter argument to anything anyone thinks up, so I'm drawling the line there. Feel free to disect any amount of this post to create yet more counter-arguments.

If you don't want to continue the discussion, just say so, but don't bother trying to save face and get the last word. It looks desperate.

Back