More Viz manga boxsets

Belphegor said:
...I did have both my orders with Amazon - they'd both been pre-ordered since May - but after they started messing me around with the Bleach set I swapped over to TBD and saved myself a good £30 in the process.

Good man.

Melonpan, From my experience with TBD they are the best place to buy new manga. (that's a period ;D )
I've got my boogiepop novels, twelve kingdoms and most of the manga I've got new from them.

chaos said:
Melonpan, From my experience with TBD they are the best place to buy new manga. (that's a period ;D )
I've got my boogiepop novels, twelve kingdoms and most of the manga I've got new from them.

That's seconded here. I get all my books from there. Never had duff service from them and the only book that ever arrived damaged was once again, bloody posties fault.

Maltos said:
chaos said:

That's seconded here. I get all my books from there. Never had duff service from them and the only book that ever arrived damaged was once again, bloody posties fault.

I will third this. Frickin' love TBD

Spyro201 said:
Maltos said:
chaos said:

Fourthed :p Wish i started using them sooner mind :/ for a long while i was using Forbidden Planet to statisfy my manga needs. TBD have never delievered later then estimated and have had no damaged deliveries plus any place that stocks the tsukihime manga is tops in my book :p

BlackWolf said:
Spyro201 said:
Maltos said:
chaos said:

Fourthed :p Wish i started using them sooner mind :/ for a long while i was using Forbidden Planet to statisfy my manga needs. TBD have never delievered later then estimated and have had no damaged deliveries plus any place that stocks the tsukihime manga is tops in my book :p

Fifthed (?) :p. I'm thinking about getting a boxset, y'know, with my birthday coming up n'all! :d

Just, I don't want death note because I've already seen the anime - I don't want naruto because I have the anime and haven't had time to watch past episode 9 - And I don't want bleach because, like Aion said, it isn't that great price compared to any of the others >_<

Death Note is your favourite anime, yet you don't want to see the source materials used by Madhouse to create your favourite anime? You're a strange one, Mr. Waddup.

It isn't the worst choice you'll ever make in all honesty: The Death Note anime is one of the few examples of an anime surpassing the manga it was based on. It deserves to get 10/10 in the audio department, it's high budget (with lots of brilliantly used dramatic 'camera angles') and Madhouse actually made the last half of the story exciting by speeding through it. Still, a real fan would want to see what wasn't shown in the anime, and a huge amount of the second half of the manga was skipped.

With regards to Naruto, you should read the manga and then watch the anime; the best of both worlds. There isn't really much point when the Naruto anime was faithful to the manga, but lots of people like reading the manga first and then moving on to the anime.

And, on a Naruto related note, TBD raised their Naruto price by £3 or £4 a few weeks back. It makes me even happier that, thanks to the nasty knock one of the back corners of my set has, I ended up getting it for £42. It's just too bad I wasn't able to get a mint set for £60 -- No perfectionist wants damaged goods, not even if near enough 1/3 of the price gets refunded.

Aion said:
It isn't the worst choice you'll ever make in all honesty: The Death Note anime is one of the few examples of an anime surpassing the manga it was based on. It deserves to get 10/10 in the audio department, it's high budget (with lots of brilliantly used dramatic 'camera angles') and Madhouse actually made the last half of the story exciting by speeding through it. Still, a real fan would want to see what wasn't shown in the anime, and a huge amount of the second half of the manga was skipped.

A huge amount? I dont recall it being much. But it was a while ago since I read it, maybe thats why.

It's been awhile for me also - I read the second half of the manga when I was following the anime weekly, and it's been a long time since the anime ended.

If you want an example of how fast Madhouse went through the last half of the story, they went through 8 chapters in one episode. There was lots of dull/pointless chatter and Madhouse skipped most of it, also removing a fair amount of unimportant stories (such as Mello leading Mogi to Near).

Aion said:
Heh, I have the same problem. With eBay bargain hunting, Secondspin and now manga box sets I have nowhere left to store my stuff. Both my £80 350-400 DVD Argos units are completely full with DVDs, games and manga (including the tops) and everything else is full. I'm just glad the DN set is smaller than I expected it to be.
You could always do what I did and convert a double wardrobe. It takes up roughly the same amount of wall space as a display unit but gives you about seven shelves to eight shelves, can store them about three rows deep and all with the added bonus of having doors to stop them get full of dust and crap. True it can be a bit difficult finding everything at times, but I'm not the most organized of people so maybe thats the problem. Yet somehow with all that space I still managed to fill it... that can't be a good thing!

Aion said:
I don't want the Bleach set for two reasons: The first is that I already have mint copies of Vol. 1-6 and the second is that, at £55 for 21 volumes in comparison to £60 for 27 Naruto volumes, it isn't what I consider to be bargaintastic. There's also the small matter of me not liking Bleach as much as I like Naruto.
See this has been the good thing about these box sets, I owned absolutely no volumes of any of the series and my collection has had a serious lack of shounen titles like these, so its been a great, and cost effective, means of rectifying it. It was a toss up between getting the Bleach or Naruto for me. I had been looking into Naruto for a while and had even pre-ordered the Shadow Box last December but long story short the order ended up being cancelled. But after watching more of the Bleach series and catching an episode of Naruto on Sky I thought i'd rather spend my money on Bleach. I know Bleach isn't as much of a bargain as Naruto but at these prices its a bargain none the less and enough of a reason to justify the purchases.

Belphegor said:
See this has been the good thing about these box sets, I owned absolutely no volumes of any of the series and my collection has had a serious lack of shounen titles like these, so its been a great, and cost effective, means of rectifying it. It was a toss up between getting the Bleach or Naruto for me. I had been looking into Naruto for a while and had even pre-ordered the Shadow Box last December but long story short the order ended up being cancelled. But after watching more of the Bleach series and catching an episode of Naruto on Sky I thought i'd rather spend my money on Bleach. I know Bleach isn't as much of a bargain as Naruto but at these prices its a bargain none the less and enough of a reason to justify the purchases.

I owned Naruto 1-3 before buying the set, Bleach 1-6 and Dragon Ball 1-5. The good part is that I paid very little per book (£1-£2 each), the bad part is I'll have to sell them all at some stage if I want to own all the box sets. I'll probably keep my Bleach volumes as I have only a tiny amount of interest in reading the manga. With Dragon Ball I'm not sure what I'll do, I'm undecided about getting the 1-16 set or simply buying the remaining 11 volumes individually.

About Bleach, reading vol. 1-6 made finally realize that it was quite average before the SS arc got going, which is something I'd seen lots of people say when referring to the anime in the past. It took longer than Naruto to get going and didn't stay high quality for anywhere near as long. Bleach will always be 2nd best in my mind.

Not seen anyone else commenting on this, so the box art for the Dragonball and Dragonball Z sets are up on The Book Depository.

Dragonball:

9781421526140.jpg

Dragonball Z:

9781421526157.jpg

have to say I find both of the boxes rather uninspired. I'd be inclined to buy the set, remove the volumes and toss the box.

Neither looks awe inspiring. The DBZ set looks crap in all honesty.

I'm not best pleased Viz have split the series up instead of releasing a huge complete collection. It might work out better for me since I already own Vol. 1-5 of DB, but it's going to work out more expensive and more troublesome to have to order two sets.

If I do go with one of the two, I'm hoping my Naruto luck won't be repeated and idiocy won't make me do what I've done with my Death Note set. After 1 case of bad luck and a few moments of stupidity, maybe the third time will be perfect? :|

In case you guys are unaware, both Dragon Ball box sets are in-stock at TBD and Amazon.co.uk.

The bad news? They're both over-priced in comparison to how the Death Note and Naruto sets were priced by TBD back when they were first released. TBD aren't giving away the sets this time around.

TBD

Amazon

The first DB box set is a little tempting since it only works out at £9 over £3 per volume. However, I already own Vol. 1-5. The DBZ set is also tempting but the 27 volume Naruto set was only priced at around £60 when it first came out, where as TBD are pricing the DBZ set at £91. :/

If I could see some images of how the sets look in the flesh I MIGHT go for them just because they'd make great collection pieces due to neither having been released officially in the UK up to yet. Then again, I'd probably get another damaged set if I went for the heavy DBZ set...

The Naruto set worked out at £2.20 per volume back when it first came out, and the Death Note set worked out at £3 per volume with a free box. Those prices make the DB set prices look bad. You can't blame TBD for trying to get as much as they can and/or raising their prices because of the increased cost of importing things, though.

The first DB set has vanished from the TBD website since I posted the links yesterday, btw. Whoever ordered, take pictures of your set when it arrives. :D

King Jimmeh said:
Those are very tempting. May find a copy of the first vol of each to read before buying though :lol:
DB is amazing...I don't think the first volume does it justice.

...but DBZ stays pretty much the same right though (fight, fight, stare, fight), so you could just read volume one and not really need to read any more.;)

(I personally think it goes into total meltdown near the end anyway)

Back