More Viz manga boxsets

I got the Naruto one cheap from Book Depository (after selling all the seperate books I bought) and what arrived was really dissapointing, maybe it was just they're batch but the case arrived broken and was really dangerous with sharp bits of wood sticking out. I complained and got offered to either keep it and get cash back or get another one, I chose another one and got one in the same condition (sold the first one for a profit though, without the case).

I'll defenatly get the Dragonball/Z ones eventually if I get told somewhere that will sell them below £50 in good condition. Would get Death Note but I have 1-10 and 13, but I had 25 of Naruto and I got that...

I know they're only doing SJ right now, but if they made a Ranma box, or maybe an FMA one, I'd buy it. (FMA aside) there's a lot of potential for box sets of massive, older 80s-90s series.

On that note, I still wish they'd redo Urusei Yatsura (and do it properly). I'm hoping that maybe, now that they're running out of Rumiko Takahashi's series, they might delve into it.

Espy said:
I know they're only doing SJ right now, but if they made a Ranma box, or maybe an FMA one, I'd buy it. (FMA aside) there's a lot of potential for box sets of massive, older 80s-90s series.

On that note, I still wish they'd redo Urusei Yatsura (and do it properly). I'm hoping that maybe, now that they're running out of Rumiko Takahashi's series, they might delve into it.

Nope, death note isn't a shonen.

And yes, I do agree that if they were to do more Viz titles, such as full metal alchemist, they would have a larger success. The older series would appeal to adults, but I can't really imagine a adult sitting down and reading a manga volume :X.

Yagami said:
Uh... What? Death Note was serialized in Shonen JUMP along with the likes of Naruto and Bleach. Its demographic is also Shonen. VIZ Media also release it in under their SJ advanced label.

So..Yeah, Its shonen, I could give a list of more reasons why its shonen, but I'll leave that for now.

Jayme said:
Yagami said:
Uh... What? Death Note was serialized in Shonen JUMP along with the likes of Naruto and Bleach. Its demographic is also Shonen. VIZ Media also release it in under their SJ advanced label.

So..Yeah, Its shonen, I could give a list of more reasons why its shonen, but I'll leave that for now.

Oops :X

Sorry, I looked in wikipedia and I must of not been thinking, at all. I'm sure it said tokyopop lol >_<.

Yagami said:
Espy said:

And yes, I do agree that if they were to do more Viz titles, such as full metal alchemist, they would have a larger success. The older series would appeal to adults, but I can't really imagine a adult sitting down and reading a manga volume :X.

I am 34 so when do I become an adult. I sit down nearly every luchtime at work and pick a manga out of my draw and read as much as I can.

melonpan said:
chaos said:
this looks really good....

They look even better in real life : p

I'll know soon enough, or ... wait, I can't, I'm broke after the expo as I spent even my rent's money ;D

Yagami said:
....And yes, I do agree that if they were to do more Viz titles, such as full metal alchemist, they would have a larger success. The older series would appeal to adults, but I can't really imagine a adult sitting down and reading a manga volume :X.

I'm 29 and the guys I've met at the expo were young, but not kids as well....

I'm into anime since 90, when Akira screened on a movie theater close to where I lived... In Japan, they even have anime magazines for people my age. =P

I do read manga at the train

Depending on what the case/box/thing is like, I may get Death Note aswell, then sell the manga on eBay or something.

I never realised that VIZ are planning on releasing Dragon ball (ugh.. and Z) in Aizoban, Damn, I wanted VIZ' Wideban release, cos they have the colour pages and such but... Mayn, I'm collecting it all in Aizoban.

Dragon Ball will look fit like that.

I don't see the point of buying these DB sets with the normal volumes when much more sexy ones are coming out. I still disapprove of owning something so nice, with VIZ Media edits. ;/

Espy said:
The Naruto one's out already... if not sold out.
Naww, It hasn't. Your thinking of the Shadow Box that came out at Christmas, This is a newer version of that.

Yagami said:

I'll join Dracos and chaos in the unimaginable adult corner...with all our piles of manga :)

These are good deals but the only ones I'm interested in, I already have - argh!

R

There's no way that Viz would lose the FMA license. It's too well a seller for them.

What's the issue with Viz releasing FMA anyway? The only thing I know is the editing of a cross to a stone, but apart from that, I've not heard any problems.

Cago1020 said:
The only thing I know is the editing of a cross to a stone, but apart from that, I've not heard any problems.

You obviously don't know anime/manga fans; even tiny, irrelevant edits are the end of the world as we know it to them. They're probably disgusted that they have to read manga in dirty, dirty English (!) instead of in Japanese ;]

Well, Yeah.. Obviously edits are a issue, and they have that spelling of the name wrong, but that's besides the point, I want high quality paper, and prints with colour pages and all the nice extras that other companies aside from VIZ do. Although, VIZ do have some somewhat nice releases.

I don't see the point of defending edits, either. They are in the wrong if they are displaying what the author didn't intend. They bother me, But I still tend to buy it when its petty things. VIZ just generally aren't very good at the whole manga business. They are better with anime.

I probably won't reply to this subject much anymore, I have the mentality of "VIZ = Evil animu company" absorbed into my head, after defending them too much.

Jayme said:
I never realised that VIZ are planning on releasing Dragon ball (ugh.. and Z) in Aizoban, Damn, I wanted VIZ' Wideban release, cos they have the colour pages and such but... Mayn, I'm collecting it all in Aizoban.

You are using Japanese terminology. You're A-OK in my book
j39.gif

Rui said:
Yagami said:
I'll join Dracos and chaos in the unimaginable adult corner...with all our piles of manga :)
These are good deals but the only ones I'm interested in, I already have - argh!
R
It's a lie!!! I don't have piles of manga!! I have two bookshelves only!!! I do read manga on the train home... If the weather is fine, I read them under a tree in a park in close to my house.

I did get weird looks when I was carrying manga sutra with me though ;)

Back