Monday 7th March UK anime chart

aniki said:
Maybe Northern Ireland's fanbase is a little more backwards than the rest of the UK, but the majority of anime fans here are very, very casual fans - they'll pick something up if they see it in HMV

Actually, some of the "dedicated" fans I know buy lots of HKDVD's and generally don't buy the UK ones. Although a surge of interest recently has changed some of the buying habbits of some people over here I know.

I cannot say I am not guilty of buying HKDVD's in the past, but recently I have been trying to encourage everyone to buy official.

I must admit I was pretty annoyed I didn't find out about Get Backers sooner! I started buying R1 and so I continued but if I had known it was getting such a quick UK release I would definitely have preferred the R2 copies! I think the US version was only at vol 3 when the UK vol 1 was released!!
I'm still in awe at the marvellous UK releases, so much has changed here in less than 2 years it's astounding :D
I'm horribly guilty of importing DVDs but the UK just doesn't have enough of what I want - not yet anyway, I live in hopes :p

I import quite a bit too, although if the R2 release has been announced then I try to wait, which I managed with Kiddy Grade and FMA (so far), but failed miserably with Wolf's Rain. And unless a UK release date for Tenchi Muyo! OVA 3 is forthcoming, I'll be importing that too. Mind you, it's not like I don't spend enough on UK releases as well.

Miaka we all live in hope of better DVD releasing in the UK. I feel that the market is expanding in the UK. It seems that there are a lot more fans of anime in the UK at the moment. Maybe this is thanks to the likes of pokimon,digimon, cardcaptors, yugioh and sailormoon introducing the younger generations to anime via TV.

I hope the gap between the US and UK market continues to shrink.

I have no true complaints about the current UK anime market, it's just the lack of shoujo titles :(
95% of the releases are shounen or ecchi or both :lol:
I'm not saying I don't like shounen anime, I do! Bleach is one of my favourites at the moment but as I said I live in hopes that there will come the day when I will actually get excited about a R2 release :D

Just wondering, i know this probably sounds like a stupid question to most people but if you buy R1 dvds how do you play them over here? Can you play them with your computer or do you have R1 compatable dvd players?

My DVD player is multi-region (I don't know if the model was meant to be, but nothing about region encoding was mentioned in the manual and it worked fine without me doing anything to it); you can also 'hack' region 2 players to let them play R1 discs (usually involves finding and changing a hidden setting in the onscreen menu). PC DVD drives will only switch region 4 times before becoming permanently locked to one region (so you could get stuck on Region 1 and never be able to watch R2 discs again) although again there are ways around this. Mind you, a multi-region player from amazon.co.uk is only about £30. But you also have to make sure your TV is NTSC compatible (it should say whether it is in the manual) and you have a decent SCART connector or the picture will be black and white.

Hopefully some of that mouthful made vague sense...

Red XIII said:
And unless a UK release date for Tenchi Muyo! OVA 3 is forthcoming,
Well MVM have the UK distro rights to it. So hopefully not too long after the US release :p

Charter_Mage said:
Just wondering, i know this probably sounds like a stupid question to most people but if you buy R1 dvds how do you play them over here? Can you play them with your computer or do you have R1 compatable dvd players?

Have one dvdplayer that needed a firmware hac to make it multi region. had to download it and burn it to cd to do that.

The other 2 players where easier, one just needed a code, while the newest one (a Sony model from amazon.co.uk) was multi out of the box :)

I import on occasion , it really depends whether a UK release is announced speedily after a US one.
I like a good mix of shows , pretty much any genre can entertain me so I do find plenty in the UK market , more and more so , but there are still , perhaps more niche shows I enjoy that dont get a UK release ( Requiem From The Darkness a recent example) so in that situation im forced to import.

Ramen89 said:
I import probably more than I get region 2 anime :oops:
For me it depends. Last month TRSI kept putting items i want on daliy/weekly deals, so i got more R1s last month (and this month too)

Normally though i get more uk dvds :)

Charter_Mage said:

I got a code for mine. Basically it's the engineers code and in reality there is no reason that all DVD players shouldn't be multi region :( It's just a way for the manufacturers to make more money.
At least in the UK we can pick up multi region DVD players and NTSC video recorders & TVs fairly cheaply, allowing us to watch other countries stuff, in USA to get the same thing costs 10 or 20 x the price for the normal ones! A friend of mine in USA said to buy a video recorder to allow her to play PAL tapes would cost her $1400 :shock:

I've never imported before so i guess i don't really need a R1 dvd player....but of course the reason i've never imported is probably because i don't have a R1 dvd player.
But then i really don't know if it's multi-player or not, it was bought a little while ago so probably not but i wouldn't really know how to find out.
I really wanted a R1 dvd player a while back because i wanted to get Escaflowne (that being before it was released here) but i still would like the entire boxed set and the movie

Back