Monday 7th March UK anime chart

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
It's Monday and by now you should know that means another fascinating look into the cut-throat world of Play.com's best selling UK anime DVDs.<ul><span class=menu><li>1. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex #2 (Manga Ent.)<li>2. Trigun #1 (MVM)<li>3. Cowboy Bebop #2 (Beez)<li>4. Cowboy Bebop #1 (Beez)<li>5. Last Exile #2 (ADV UK)<li>6. RahXephon - The Motion Picture (ADV UK)<li>7. Love Hina #6 (MVM)

Please note, we try to include as many 'recent' releases in the chart as possible and therefore intentionally ignore the familiar old classics (like Akira and Spirited Away) that perennially out sell everything else.</span></ul>Stand Alone Complex #2 makes it a fantastic three weeks at number one, while MVM's Trigun #1 jumps impressively from 5th to 2nd. Also, with its second instalment now three weeks old, ADV's flagship fantasy-adventure show Last Exile seems to be proving popular with UK fans.

Our hot tip for the highest climber next week is the (currently seventh placed) final volume of Love Hina, a show whose last few releases have displayed the potential to become a true UK best seller.

did anyone else notice five out of the top ten were featured on channel 4's top 100 the other week? talk about the power of television...anyway, my copy of last exile #1 should arrive in the next few days. i just know it's going to be a worthwhile purchase.

I still havn't got around to getting Trigun yet(because of lack of funds), and i've also got to get last exile #1 amoungst many....but hopefully soon, i'm feel a bit of anime deprivation

Cowboy Bebop must be a massive seller currently in anime terms, considering it was released about six weeks ago. Due to the lack of week titles, I think the chart is going to change little next week, but I could see CB, Trigun and Last Exile dropping.

Animated FatCat said:
*Bias mode on*

Get Trigun before you get Last Exile.

*Switches off Bias mode*

Oooh, tough choice. I've seen all of Trigun, and most of Last Exile, but I'd be hard pressed to choose which one I prefer.

Meh, I'm buying Stand Alone Complex anyway. :mrgreen:

At least, I hope to. I decided to get the RahXephon movie instead. May as well complete my collection, box or no box *grumbles about American releases and their boxsets*

Love hina cant be doing that good because when i emailed MVM about if they had any plans to bring Love hina again to the uk they said they had considered it bit it was is a expensive and Love hina did not sell as well as they though it would. tho they did say it was not written off entirely and that ithey could be its just not on there priority list.

valha said:
Love hina cant be doing that good because when i emailed MVM about if they had any plans to bring Love hina again to the uk they said they had considered it bit it was is a expensive and Love hina did not sell as well as they though it would. tho they did say it was not written off entirely and that ithey could be its just not on there priority list.

Shame to hear that about Love Hina, but then again it is a show that appears to be the marmite of anime either love it or hate it. Just need to take a look at any of the many threads about this title that crop up on fan sites everywhere.

Cannot of been too good for the show to recieve a certain amount of ambivilant reviews from around the place. I know when I was reviewing it for animeboredom that For the first few volume I wasnt that taken with the show but it has grown on me. Paul here has given a variety of opinions on each volume and the impression that I've taken away from his reviews was a dislike for the 'filler' episodes (please correct me if I';m wrong). I know Chris over at UK anime was so annoyed by the show he actually had to start passing onto the reviews to the other staff review on that site.

Like a said a barrage of ambivilant reviews can not have done wonders for the sale of this title especially as some months it was then going up against releases such as Kino & Last Exile. It is a shame about the current sales of Hina, but hopefully this will be a title that gets slow-burner status rather than gets overlooked in the great release schedule that the UK has lined up this year :D

And don't forget that many uk anime fans have already likely seen Love Hina when it was generating huge interest on the fansub circuit a couple of years ago. I remember the friend who got me into anime, probably the first fansub he ever watched was in fact love hina, and thats how I first heard of it.

I know its still bound to be a (reasonably) big seller, but I'm predicting the same thing may happen for FMA's uk release. A LOT of uk anime fans have already seen it...and its 13 volumes...

Love hina was the frist fansub i ever saw and it was the one that got me into fansubs but i do hope that it gets more salls so they do Love Hina Again, I really hate haveing a uncompelete serie.

Yet more reasons why i hate fansubs then....

Anyway, LHA hasnt came out in Aus yet, once its out there it will probably be cheaper to get the rights to it.

Animated FatCat said:
I know its still bound to be a (reasonably) big seller, but I'm predicting the same thing may happen for FMA's uk release. A LOT of uk anime fans have already seen it...and its 13 volumes...

Good point. Unless Naruto finds a whole new audience I think the same will happen to that show.

I think that's where the "are fansubs good or bad" debates come from. Theoretically (sp?) what one is supposed to do is watch the fansubs and then buy the official releases!!

Miaka-chan said:
I think that's where the "are fansubs good or bad" debates come from. Theoretically (sp?) what one is supposed to do is watch the fansubs and then buy the official releases!!
*nods*

I dont mind if people watch fansubs, as long as they buy the offical dvds.

IanC said:
Miaka-chan said:
*nods*

I dont mind if people watch fansubs, as long as they buy the offical dvds.

Same here. Its aright by me as long as they buy the real things later when they can.

See, I can understand if you downloaded 1/2 dozen episodes and hated something but if you've downloaded, watched and really enjoyed said series, you should really buy the official copy. That's why I can't understand about Love Hina! There is of course the possibilty most people couldn't wait for the UK release and imported it :?:

Miaka-chan said:
See, I can understand if you downloaded 1/2 dozen episodes and hated something but if you've downloaded, watched and really enjoyed said series, you should really buy the official copy. That's why I can't understand about Love Hina! There is of course the possibilty most people couldn't wait for the UK release and imported it :?:

That is the reason i think it did not do so well. Love hina has been out in the US for a long time now and if a UK fan really wanted this seire they would most likey have inported them by now.

FMA is a different case, FMA is coming out alot faster in the UK then Love hina did so alot more UK fans will wait for the R2 dvds where with Love Hine UK fans where not even sure if Love Hina would ever come out in the UK at the time it came out in the US.

valha said:
Miaka-chan said:

That is the reason i think it did not do so well. Love hina has been out in the US for a long time now and if a UK fan really wanted this seire they would most likey have inported them by now.
The impact of import anime on UK sales is almost definitely negligible, or at least very small.

Most of the anime fans I know wouldn't know how to import, or don't trust the internet enough to risk it. Maybe Northern Ireland's fanbase is a little more backwards than the rest of the UK, but the majority of anime fans here are very, very casual fans - they'll pick something up if they see it in HMV, but they won't go out of their way to find it online. Even on forums I've seen more people bemoaning the lack of anime in the UK than talking about importing it in significant quantities.

Of course, in recent months things have gotten much better for the UK; with big-name series like FullMetal Alchemist getting licensed for the UK before the American release date, more people are prepared to wait a couple of months, knowing it's on the way.

I'm somewhat surprised to hear that Love Hina hasn't done well, though; I'd have thought it had broad enough appeal for the mainstream market (especially given the prevalence of teen comedies on TV and cinemas in recent times) to do well - it's not that philosophical or complex either, so it's a pity to hear people didn't pick it up.

LH is not a particularly niche show, either - something like Haibane Renmei or Technolyze I'd expect to have been imported more. Series' like those tend to appeal more to the established anime fan than newcomers, and established fans are more likely to import a series with a slim chance of making it to the UK - which, until a couple of months ago, I'd have thought about those two.

Back