Miscellaneous mecha discussion thread

The next-door neighbor couple are coming over tonight to start a new anime up on the big screen in my theater. I decided I wanted to show them Knights of Sidonia this time around. Earlier in the week I sent them the link to this YouTube AMV with the extended version of the OP song, to tweak their interest a little...

Last edited:
I'm rewatching Godannar at the moment. Recap episodes are usually the bane of an anime fan's existence, but I'd forgotten that this show came up with a genius solution to stop people complaining. The recap episode has clips from old episodes, as you'd expect, but with one difference: a naked woman has been added into the original scenes. 😍 🤣
That is ingenious indeed! Speaking of that, re:creators has the best & most hilarious recap episode I have ever seen, so much so that it is probably one of the best episodes in that series. It would even singularly make it worthwhile to watch the first cour just for the sake of watching that episode.

We've new original mecha coming from Sunrise in October with the airing of Kyoukai Senki, helmed by Nobuyoshi Habara who helmed Fafner, which is a great mecha franchise so I've got high hopes for this. Link to ANN's article below.

Kyoukai Senki ANN article

I have to say the mecha design does look pretty good. The legs and arms do look pretty unique with how the joints look.

Robert Woodhead of AnimEigo just opened a new Kickstarter last night for Metal Skin Panic: MADOX-01 Unobtanium Edition, which evidently was AnimEigo's very first title to release, over 30 years ago. $30 for a basic Blu-ray and $60 for the premium box set. Looks like it will easily surpass $100,000 within the first 24 hours!

050ba17f893448fb1643c2aa8d5c58ea_original.jpg

Last edited:
Seeking advice!! Love mecha, loved Gundam Unicorn but never ventured past that, because the war/social aspect of gundam seems to be quite substantial. 00 and Iron Blooded Orphans seem quite appealing, but I have no idea how the story plays out.

I'll admit I loved Unicorn mostly because well, first, it's mecha, and then the audiovisual presentation is jawdropping throughout. Would I enjoy any of those two series if I'm not really into war stuff in my mecha series?

Neil, FranXX incoming!!! 🔥

Seeking advice!! Love mecha, loved Gundam Unicorn but never ventured past that, because the war/social aspect of gundam seems to be quite substantial. 00 and Iron Blooded Orphans seem quite appealing, but I have no idea how the story plays out.

I'll admit I loved Unicorn mostly because well, first, it's mecha, and then the audiovisual presentation is jawdropping throughout. Would I enjoy any of those two series if I'm not really into war stuff in my mecha series?
If you want a Gundam series that isn't mainly focused on war and politics, pretty much your only option is G. Gundam and war are joined at the hip.

BRING IT!!! Bring it to João!! 🔥🤘🤘🔥

Nooo! Don’t do it João, I won’t be able to help but get dragged in if you start FranXXposting, and then that’s another full length series I’ll be committed to!
Yaaaaaassssss.

Oh crap, that's right there's a simulwatch in the cards!! I was ready to binge the thing, actually, but yeah I'll just take a peek at the first episode then... Get your capture card ready, ayase! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Edit: thanks @Dai, I always had that idea but that confirms it. I'll stick to movie quality animation Gundam... Hathaway seems cool 🤷‍♂️

Oh crap, that's right there's a simulwatch in the cards!! I was ready to binge the thing, actually, but yeah I'll just take a peek at the first episode then...
Nooo! Don’t do it João, I won’t be able to help but get dragged in if you start FranXXposting, and then that’s another full length series I’ll be committed to!
Just to play devil's advocate here, there's been the suggestion to save the FranXX simulwatch for Mecha March 2022.

Perhaps you guys might prefer to take part in that as a rewatch...

Just to play devil's advocate here, there's been the suggestion to save the FranXX simulwatch for Mecha March 2022.

Perhaps you guys might prefer to take part in that as a rewatch...

ayase, you're safe from franxxposting then... At most you'll get a summary post in the "rate the series thread" !

As soon as I'm done with Clannad and Amagi, FranXX is next then!

Rewatched RahXephon recently and I was disappointed... I remember liking it more back then. We need Giant Robo and Big O on blu ray!!

View attachment 18780

The decision is made. It's Friday night, pizza is ordered, let's get this show on the road.
I have no idea what I'm looking at and yet I love it!

Goddamnit, you got me drooling for pizza. That is absolutely not what I'm eating tonight ugh.

So uh, where are we to franxxpost ™? I don't want to franxx up the viewing thread 😢 I'll probably get myself banned for being annoying, so I'll... Watch a few eps at a time and post once in a while!

So uh, where are we to franxxpost ™? I don't want to franxx up the viewing thread 😢 I'll probably get myself banned for being annoying, so I'll... Watch a few eps at a time and post once in a while!
Perhaps there’s a thread we can resurrect, or just here, maybe? I’ve got so into the groove of doing a running commentary with GL I’m not sure I can stop now...

Since this isn’t actually an official simulwatch, I’m tempted to just post here with my full posts inside a spoiler tag so I don’t spoil the show for anyone (or for you, if I get ahead).

There is an old Franxx thread but you're likely to see spoilers so maybe avoid it until you've watched the whole thing. It's a great show in my view.

Back