MCM October 2013 Licenses & Discussion Thread

Joshawott said:
MVM replied to me that they are currently not aware of their release format for Familiar of Zero (dub or sub). It is a series that I have seen around a lot despite its age, so I'll try out the first season when it's released.

I do wish that the BBFC would get rid of the requirement for certificates to be burned onto the disc, so MVM can have an easier time with getting blu-ray releases done.
Sentai and Hanabee are almost certainly on board here and, while I doubt they would go BD for this series anyway, there would be scope in this instance to do one AB region print run with all the logos on.

So, they can't license the third movie unless they license all three? From that reaction, seems like MangaUK don't want to bother. *sigh*. Couldn't they even try and just wiggle out a special theatrical screening? Because once again, the UK is one of the only major countries not getting a screening.

Considering that even the AniplexUSA release of the movies is currently sub-only, blu-ray only and is an import of the Japanese release, that does pretty much spell "disaster" for a release here. I'm actually quite interested in how their release of the series performed, considering that it was the cheapest way to get the series worldwide due to being a complete set, but also had to compete with AniplexUSA's region free Limited Editions.

Guess I'll just have to wait a year for the Japanese release of the third movie.

I'd normally join the Manga UK panel but I was still managing guest signings so alas not!

Fear not - I have at least 5 more licenses to announce for all rights before Christmas ;).

Andrew,
Anime Limited

Ah nice! I would imagine you'll probably announce Patema Inverted(and hope that you do) after it was teased at the edinburgh screening, but i can't wait to see what else you nab. I would imagine Space Dandy would be on your list as well if you where able to manage it.

Okay I can see that AniPlex US had stitched up the BD release, surely someone like FUNi could have got the DVD licence and dubbed all three Madoka Magica movies? My money waits for something like that.

Mohawk52 said:
Okay I can see that AniPlex US had stitched up the BD release, surely someone like FUNi could have got the DVD licence and dubbed all three Madoka Magica movies? My money waits for something like that.
I imagine that AniplexUSA's license covers Home Video as a whole, not just Blu-ray. MangaUK still managed to get the TV anime, so I'd say a lack of a license for a release of them over here falls with MangaUK, not AniplexUSA.

Personally, I was at least hoping that we would have had a screening of the third movie announced. America is getting loads, Canada is getting loads, France is getting one...and we got shunned with the first two. I do remember Jerome saying last year that the hope was to have a UK showing of all three, so I wonder what happened to that idea.

(Psst Andrew, any chance you could sign some contracts and become a Magical er...Man? Tiger & Bunny's screening was amazing).

anime_andrew said:
I'd normally join the Manga UK panel but I was still managing guest signings so alas not!

Fear not - I have at least 5 more licenses to announce for all rights before Christmas ;).

Andrew,
Anime Limited

I'm so close to ordering the Blue Exorcist Movie blu-ray as a xmas present for myself, i'd love you guys to announce it so I don't have to!

My writeup of Manga's Saturday panel for TZ- http://www.toonzone.net/2013/10/toonzon ... ent-panel/

The Madoka answer does suggest they're keen to just license the new content if they could, but the fact they ended the panel by asking how many of us like Madoka equally suggests they're still open minded on the matter. I don't think they'd ask such a question if they'd fully decided 'Nope, 3 movie license is too much for our budget'. I do hope it works out. Madoka was an absolute joy to watch and review.

Back