Mass Effect 2

Out tomorrow, though I probably won't have my copy until Saturday (at the earliest) due to ordering from Amazon and selecting free shipping.

The first Mass Effect was one of my favourite games of 2007, and so I'm looking forward to becoming reacquainted with my hot redhead (dye job) female Commander Shepard. I blessed her with the most awesome cheekbones. Remember practically sod all about the plot, though, so I'm hoping for a recap of some sort.

Can't wait!

Got mine today, have been playing it all day.

It's a beautiful game, honestly. Graphically amazing. Gameplay is fantastic (even though, from what i've read Infiltrators are hard to play well... and i've picked one). Only thing i'm indifferent to is that, you don't get Exp for killing enemies, just a big bunch of it for completing the mission.

It's still total badass though. 8)

Started it today straight after i got home from uni/town. Didn't realise i had clocked in 4 hours already, hah. So far asides from the Miranda and Jacob, i have two other members of the team. The Professor and Zaeed who is the DLC team member. I expect there is another character though, the team select bit has space for another character to be included, as to who, we'll just have to wait and see.

Gameplay and story are brilliant. It resembles the old gameplay a lot, but at the same time, its so different. The addition of Ammo and the whole reworking of the abilities just makes it feel more new and better to be honest.

Needless to say i'm adoring it, will no doubt be on it all night tonight.

Got it today along with inFamous and Batman Arkham Asylum. Even on the PC it looks really good. It's shiny! I'll be playing it loads over the weekend. However, there seemed to be server problems regarding the DLC, which was not a good first impression.

Server problems with the DLC? PC i take it. Since i was able to get all the DLC very easily via the XBox. I do remember hearing problems about the DLC which has Zaeed in it, that it was delayed, but i had thought that was only for the US and was sorted by now?

Arbalest said:
Server problems with the DLC? PC i take it. Since i was able to get all the DLC very easily via the XBox. I do remember hearing problems about the DLC which has Zaeed in it, that it was delayed, but i had thought that was only for the US and was sorted by now?

I got the DLC fine...

@Maxon: It could have been that you tried to activate the codes before the official release date. Otherwise, just overloaded servers probably. You did register a BioWare account yes? You can log into BioWare via your EA Account like. If not, ring EA. They have the best customer service i've ever spoke to. (With Dragon Age, they just gave me the DLC for nothing cause I was getting problems with getting it in-game. They just gave me a new code, no questions asked).

Only 1 character left to get now! Just about to get the Asari and then there is only one space left.

This game is so ******* epic.

Jack is the best. Jack and Drell.

Just finished the collector ship mission. Damn that was a cool mission. Now i'm off to make as many people loyal as I can before travelling into some Black Holes... 8) 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Spyro201 said:
even though, from what i've read Infiltrators are hard to play well... and i've picked one
I'm glad I continued as one. You get all the guns you'll ever need... then the maxed-out cloak ability is like a shield and damage boost in one, and the hack ability creates a whole lot of mess when Mechs or Geth are on the battlefield.

Bit disappointed at the unity-damaging arguments a couple of characters get into. If you're not going to allow me to sit on the fence, putting a maximum charm / intimidate requirement on undoing the damage you forced me to do is just ********.
Lupus said:
Not getting this until I get all ME achievements, so that will be in several months time, see you then.
Why on earth would anyone bother?

kupocake said:
Spyro201 said:
even though, from what i've read Infiltrators are hard to play well... and i've picked one
I'm glad I continued as one. You get all the guns you'll ever need... then the maxed-out cloak ability is like a shield and damage boost in one, and the hack ability creates a whole lot of mess when Mechs or Geth are on the battlefield.

Yeah, I have assassins cloak. It's badass. Since headshots actually do extra damage in ME2 (I swear they didnt in ME1... And apparently limb shots mean something to. You can cripple enemies :)) I get insane kills now. Assassins Cloak and a Headshot is basically one-hit kill even if they have full armour.

kupocake said:
Bit disappointed at the unity-damaging arguments a couple of characters get into. If you're not going to allow me to sit on the fence, putting a maximum charm / intimidate requirement on undoing the damage you forced me to do is just ********.

lol. Thankfully I have max renegade. But yeah, Jack and Miranda went nuts. Jack ******* owns Miranda though anyway.

I went with what I thought was the safe option and chose Vanguard. But after realizing that Charge is not terribly helpful if you don't kill the targetted enemy (and even when you do, there's usually no shortage of others waiting to shred you to pieces), I wish I'd gone for an Infiltrator instead. Vanguard was the class I used in the first Mass Effect, I think, and they were awesome in that game. Perhaps too awesome, hence the gimping this time around.

Good game. Maybe overly familiar in places, and I'm not thrilled with the upgrade system, but I'm hooked nonetheless.

I've got mine yesterday. Wish I got it on Friday, but fate has put me in bad luck, yet others got theirs on friday on god damn Super Saver delivery.

First Impressions:

The opening waste no time dilly-dallying, as you're plunged into the action in about seconds. Oh and somehow, you died. But that's okay, Cerberus revives you. Since the Illusive Man got billions of credits to spare, I want them to revive a Prothean. Or clone one. The text is bloody small, but I guess that's what I get for being cheap and not buying an HDTV unless it's given to me. Aside from that, when I plunged into combat for the first time, I instantly thought 'Gears of War RPG Lite', but the cover system is a good idea to copy. Ammo have been added and so far, I haven't really ran out of them... except for the Sniper Rifle.

Oh and I'm an infiltrator. There's more reason to be one, because Sniper Rifle is actually more useful than just picking enemies from a distance. Limbs and Headshots count for something. Combine that with a cloaking device and you have the best stealth fighter. Really, the Infiltrator is a tremendous improvement which won me over, where as in ME1, I preferred being an Engineer. Also, The Grenades have been ditched in favour of Heavy Weaponry. For me, I wholeheart it. Grenades in ME1 not only have a lack of accuracy, they also didn't have oomph and the person in charge of the Grenades at Bioware should be shot. I don't want to be pressing 'select' to detonate the grenade in a lag response of 3 - 5 seconds.

Now you have Grenade Launcher, which actually detonate. But not only Grenade Launchers, but Rocket Launchers too. Success.

Music so far have been on par with ME1, but the club music sound like they are... club music and not something that has been created in Garage Band with a few beats.

More Species have been introduced... whilst the current ones have more variety for once. In ME1, it feels like that Asari are calm mediators [unless been indoctrinated by Saren] and Turians are honorable race. In the second one, you have more species that don't fit a specific stereotype anymore. For once, I've met horrible, dishonourable turians, like on that Prison Station. The choices also seem to have more variety from what I've seen. But I love the Interrupt System. I actually punched that lass who tried to smear me in the first one. I think I reloaded it constantly, so I can see Shepard punch her over and over again. It's hugely satisfying. Now... Shepard, can you punch Liara over and over again.

tl;dr: Love it!

Would mention other things, such as researching your own weapons and mining planets, which are good additions. My only niggle is that I miss having Wrex in my party, since he was my favourite party member out of the first game.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'm not thrilled with the upgrade system
Neither am I, but the fact of the matter was that the Inventory was an epic mess in Mass Effect 1, and the RPG elements that were lost are far outweighed by the advances made in every single other aspect of the game. It's one of those 'good sequels' that is actually pretty bad as a way of continuing on from the original. The first game just looks horrendously incompetent now.

kupocake said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
I'm not thrilled with the upgrade system
Neither am I, but the fact of the matter was that the Inventory was an epic mess in Mass Effect 1
I can't argue with you there. Personally I would've preferred ME2 to have had an inventory, though obviously a far more streamlined and user-friendly one. Treasure hunting doesn't seem terribly interesting when credits are pretty much all that's on offer. And where's mah stats!?

The worst thing about the upgrade system is having to play that ****** planet scanning minigame in order to collect the necessary materials. Do not want. But these are minor issues in an otherwise much improved sequel.

Snubbed the Illusive Man and... done.

I take it the after-game exists so you don't have to restart the game to put your character through any future DLC? My level 50 import didn't even get to level 30, and I turned the game upside down...

Finished it myself over the weekend. The final mission was epic, though the last boss went down a lot easier than I expected.

The main plot wasn't terribly interesting, to be honest, but I loved the individual character stories. Mordin's loyalty mission was particularly good, and presented a moral dilemma over which I was seriously conflicted. Also, he's the best character by far.

But it might be a tad early to pin the GOTY tag onto it. With Yakuza 3, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, and probably loads more I'm forgetting coming out this year, ME2 will have some serious competition.

Finished it last night and to be honest, it was a brilliant game throughout. Perhaps its story wasn't as brilliant as ME1, but it certainly was good to go through. I agree though, final mission was epic. And i got everyone out alive, so a pat on the back for me.

I've personally always been a fan of garrus and tali. But i guess in some respects, as they where characters from ME1, they wouldn't get as fleshed out as the others because they have had more chance to develop and you've had more chance to learn of them. Saying that, Tali's Loyalty mission was a lot more interesting than expected, learning a bit more about the Quarians and their way of life, even just a little.

MEMAX.png

You know what this means !

Late to the party, but no big deal. I'm like eight hours in so far, best character so far is Mordin, worst might be Grunt, though he did redeem himself a bit when I went to recruit Subject Zero. Game is far better than I expected, a lot of people said at the start it's boring but I LOVED it, most RPGs lack an epic start like this, oh the cinematic quality has also vastly improved.

Still can't get over Pressly dying he was a nobody really, but it was certainly a bit too random.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back