MangaUK license announcements ...

yes Manga titles were kinda weak. Just blue exorcist for me and the fma movies. I think i'll pas db. Hope to see some good action titles from Kaze eheh Looking forward to Mardock Scramble. :D

Jeez, Princess Resurrection...the show's awful, and I mean awful...I dont drop many shows but given the nature of the show, and how...empty it is, are they really expecting that many sales? :eek:

Still I guess one man's trash is another's treasure so someone will probably appreciate it.

Squid Girl
The World God Only Knows
Chaos;Head

If Zavvi and Amazon UK will sell these for 15 GBP, than I am in, if the price will be above 15 GBP, than going with the US release will be a better idea.

I will be watching the price of Princess Resurrection too.

Tind said:
Squid Girl
The World God Only Knows
Chaos;Head

If Zavvi and Amazon UK will sell these for 15 GBP, than I am in, if the price will be above 15 GBP, than going with the US release will be a better idea.

I will be watching the price of Princess Resurrection too.
I doubt you'll find them at those prices on release, considering as of late - new releases are being priced at £17.99 instead of £14.99 at HMV.

Taken from a Manga Ent Facebook post

...I announced on Saturday that we have the following new releases coming out in 2012: Panty And Stocking (DVD only to start with because Japan has forbidden any other territories from releasing it on Blu-ray!), Dragon Ball Z Remastered and Uncut - all 291 episodes across 9 season box sets, starting in July, The World God Only Knows Season 1, Squid Girl, FMA 2 The Movie (DVD and Blu-ray), Madoka Magica (BD to be confirmed), Blue Exorcist (sub-only DVD to start with), Chaos Head, Princess Resurrection...

So Madoka Magica may be on Blu-ray as well!

Or he might just have done that pending the results of the petition that was being discussed, in the hope that leading everyone on would stop them importing. I'll stick to the increasingly-annoying-to-obtain US version.

I am sort of impressed that Manga and co have managed to create a situation which makes it harder to get a matching set of foreign releases, let alone UK ones. It fits in well with their own habit of being overly optimistic then cancelling releases halfway ^^;

R

Rui said:
Or he might just have done that pending the results of the petition that was being discussed, in the hope that leading everyone on would stop them importing. I'll stick to the increasingly-annoying-to-obtain US version.

I am sort of impressed that Manga and co have managed to create a situation which makes it harder to get a matching set of foreign releases, let alone UK ones. It fits in well with their own habit of being overly optimistic then cancelling releases halfway ^^;

R
At the very least, the MangaUK release won't have the soundtrack, the snazzy art cards, posters and fancy looking box. That's why I am still willing to pay another £140 for AniplexUSA's sets.

It's depressing how few people seem to consider that the bonus features and soundtracks might be important for some people :(

*salutes Josh*

R

Rui said:
It's depressing how few people seem to consider that the bonus features and soundtracks might be important for some people :(

*salutes Josh*

R
I love Madoka Magica's soundtrack - I listen to it all the time. In fact, I am hugely anticipating volume 2's soundtrack because going by the track listing of the Japanese soundtracks, it will contain Kyosuke's rendition of Ave Maria.

Then there's the episode preview cards, which will be framed together once I have the complete set and the posters...I do love my posters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rui said:

*salutes Josh*

R

Maybe its because not many Western releases get bonus soundtracks and posters and the like nowadays therefore people won't feel they are important (you don't miss what you never had or something to that affect).

I'm a sucker for a snazzy box, but I find most of my soundtracks sit around unused. In fact I'veleft all the ones I had pre-London in my dad's attic with the rest of my old unused CDs.

I love the Aniplex sets like Fate/Zero and Oreimo though, so it's annoying news.

More on topic I'm glad I didn't import The World God Only Knows now. Could be tempted by Squid Girl and a few others in UK versions too.

Unsure if I should cancel my Okami-San order from Funi, doesn't look the best series and it would surely be cheaper to buy here but I really like the look of their artbox.

Rui said:

R
Because being a total dick is the way to make sales.

In Bizaro World.

Which, I'm sad to report, we don't live in.

'Ello 'ello 'ello, what's this from their Facebook:
Quick theoretical straw poll! Would you buy our next new release anime series in the UK if it was in NTSC format and not PAL? Would this effect your purchasing decision?

Joshawott said:
'Ello 'ello 'ello, what's this from their Facebook:
Quick theoretical straw poll! Would you buy our next new release anime series in the UK if it was in NTSC format and not PAL? Would this effect your purchasing decision?
They're asking the same via Twitter as well - sadly:
The fact that UK PS3's do not accommodate NTSC format probably makes this a non-starter.

Shiroi Hane said:
..but they do. I can play R2 NTSC DVDs on a UK PS3.

NTSC PS3 don't do PAL, but the reverse is not true.

Are you sure that's true? I find it very unlikely that the playback software would be different.
I can understand most non-HDTVs in the US not supporting PAL, it isn't a useful feature when your country gets almost every possible English release.

According to further comments on their Facebook, moving to NTSC would cut out around 50% of the production costs:
This isn't just an issue of timings between UK and ROW releases. It's about cost. If we have convert HD to PAL it also means we have to author the discs from scratch and create the subs from scratch adding an extra 50% to our costs. If we are able to use a US NTSC rep master for DVD and code it to REGION 2 we are saving a lot of money. This means I can acquire and release more new shows to be honest with you in a very challenging retail environment.

If it helps get titles out quicker, I'm all for more NTSC releases. Sharing masters with the US would save having to wait for Madman to author PAL discs and I won't have to worry about getting annoyed with PAL speedup!

Back