Manga's 1st podcast is up...

Joshawott said:
The awkward moment when even they laugh at how expensive Samurai Girls is....
I walked past CEX today so popped in - they had a few copies on BD for £32 second hand.

Oh, and five copies of Casshern Sins on BD ^^;

ayase said:
I don't understand for the life of me this NDA stuff. Once a deal is agreed, it's agreed isn't it? "Sign here Mr. Manga, and you sign here Toei-san... Right, excellent. Manga now have the rights to release DBZ in the UK. But remember! You can't talk about this for six months ON PAIN OF DEATH!" I mean, what possible reason could there EVER be for that?
Does Toei need a reason to be Toei? They have been especially paranoid after FUNimation leaked an episode early online. Besides, I've had to sign an FUNimation NDA and all I do is moderate the forums ^^;

Shiroi Hane said:
ayase said:
I don't understand for the life of me this NDA stuff. Once a deal is agreed, it's agreed isn't it? "Sign here Mr. Manga, and you sign here Toei-san... Right, excellent. Manga now have the rights to release DBZ in the UK. But remember! You can't talk about this for six months ON PAIN OF DEATH!" I mean, what possible reason could there EVER be for that?
Does Toei need a reason to be Toei? They have been especially paranoid after FUNimation leaked an episode early online. Besides, I've had to sign an FUNimation NDA and all I do is moderate the forums ^^;
Well yes, they do. People don't do things for no reason in business unless they are certifiably insane. Generally if I'm signing a contract and don't understand the reason for a clause in said contract, I query it. That's what I'd really like to know, the reason Toei feel the need to impose these seemingly pointless restrictions, which appear to have absolutely no bearing on anything, other than giving Toei a reason to berate and threaten other international distributors.

ayase said:
Well yes, they do. People don't do things for no reason in business unless they are certifiably insane. Generally if I'm signing a contract and don't understand the reason for a clause in said contract, I query it. That's what I'd really like to know, the reason Toei feel the need to impose these seemingly pointless restrictions, which appear to have absolutely no bearing on anything, other than giving Toei a reason to berate and threaten other international distributors.

In the case of Dragon Ball Z, I believe that Toei's aim was to synchronise their own PR with Manga Entertainment's by announcing the deal on the same date and time - a pretty standard marketing practice that often relies on an NDA or embargo of some kind in the (often vain) hope of stopping anyone from jumping the gun.

Of course, at the time of the initial Dragon Ball Z leak to make things worse the deal wasn't even completed to my knowledge, which was the real cause of the panic.

I assume there was some unexpected hiccup which led to the infamously disastrous outcome, since following the logic that businesses always do things for a reason, there was little reason for Manga UK to book an advertising page and create an entire promotional page for something they didn't have, and I don't buy that Toei just act randomly even if their decisions sometimes give that impression. Maybe Jerome offended an important executive at some point by saying he liked Vegeta more than Trunks and it set negotiations back by four months - who can say?

R

As far as the ads go the most likely scenario is there was a delay and the ad was pulled, but the older version with the ad still on got published online (IIRC the versions in print at the con itself didn't have the ad). I don't think the ad leaking that close to the con where it was due to be announced anyway would have cause this much of a delay so that seems less likely to me.

Back