Manga UK License Yo-Kai Watch Anime For May Release

I absolutely love Yo-Kai Watch. So much fun.

A PAL DVD (presumably with the UK opening) doesn't really excite me very much though...I'd rather just hold out for a US release.

I absolutely love Yo-Kai Watch. So much fun.

A PAL DVD (presumably with the UK opening) doesn't really excite me very much though...I'd rather just hold out for a US release.
Iirc, wasn't the opening used for our airing, quickly adopted by the US one?

Iirc, wasn't the opening used for our airing, quickly adopted by the US one?
The last I heard, the US theme seemed to be just picked out at random from episode to episode (by a coin flip or something).

From what I read a few months ago, it was Gera Gera Po most of the time, then the Swampy Marsh theme would just come and go without any kind of consistency. Reruns would switch themes just for the hell of it too.

I suppose a US DVD could end up being 100% Marsh (or 100% Gera Gera Po or a mix of the two...who knows?)

Funnily enough, I was thinking about the lack of a UK release of this when the "How do we get people into anime" thread popped up xD I think a number of us would have got into anime with the CITV/Fox Kids adoption of Pokemon, Sailor Moon, DBZ, Digimon, Cardcaptors in the late 90s. This I imagine is what will be getting the next generation on board.

Its been going on for 25+ years at this point, I don't see it stopping. Reducing, sure, but outright going away? Don't see it.

As long as there is a culture difference between Japanese kids and Western kids while Japan is still making relatively cheap yet popular animation, rice cakes will keep becoming donuts or some stupid **** xD

A Japanese company dubbed this. This isn't the West hiding it's Japanese-ness, this is Dentsu (and Hasbro) doing what they deem necessary for commercial success. I don't think the racial angle here is as relevant as it might otherwise be.

Fair enough, I was wrong. I would've expected a 4Kids-esque situation. Though if they hadn't made the changes would they have got broadcast?
I haven't seen the original, but had it just been a pure dub with alternate credits, I suspect maybe some European broadcasters would have tried. However, the UK broadcasters would still probably have edited things.

Ultimately whether or not it would have been broadcast without changes is irrelevant. Dentsu (and Hasbro) chose to edit the show. It wasn't forced on them. It's not censorship, it's editing.

I haven't seen the dub at all but I was at least pleasantly surprised to see that (I think?) most of the youkai names stayed intact, as when things are completely westernised it spoils a lot of the flavour the show originally had. Kids are way better with foreign names and cultural references than adults anyway since everything is new to them and Japanese companies tend to be even more paranoid that their culture is hard to understand than local distributors.

Even if this set is a non-starter for me personally I'm happy the show is getting a release. I would be much happier if an unedited version was coming but I'm still waiting on Pokémon there too.

R

A Japanese company dubbed this. This isn't the West hiding it's Japanese-ness, this is Dentsu (and Hasbro) doing what they deem necessary for commercial success. I don't think the racial angle here is as relevant as it might otherwise be.
I was refering to CN's airing which removed whole chunks of bits (this was back when they drew some real ire for nixing parts of Steven Universe for daring to suggest Rose x Pearl) and have made a habbit of making Y7 overdubs of some of their PG shows like Regualr Show and Adventure Time.

I was refering to CN's airing which removed whole chunks of bits (this was back when they drew some real ire for nixing parts of Steven Universe for daring to suggest Rose x Pearl) and have made a habbit of making Y7 overdubs of some of their PG shows like Regualr Show and Adventure Time.

I know, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to KingJimmeh's post directly above mine.

But you can blame Ofcom for that. Everything that airs on CN has to be U rated.

I haven't seen the dub at all but I was at least pleasantly surprised to see that (I think?) most of the youkai names stayed intact, as when things are completely westernised it spoils a lot of the flavour the show originally had. Kids are way better with foreign names and cultural references than adults anyway since everything is new to them and Japanese companies tend to be even more paranoid that their culture is hard to understand than local distributors.

Even if this set is a non-starter for me personally I'm happy the show is getting a release. I would be much happier if an unedited version was coming but I'm still waiting on Pokémon there too.

R
In a similar vein to Pokémon, the more marketable mascots retain their original names (e.g. Pikachu for Pokémon, Jibanyan for Yo-Kai Watch), while the vast majority have localised names (e.g. "Jinmenken" becomes "Manjimutt", "Fubuki-hime" became "Blizzaria" etc).

And yeah, I'd love an unedited Pokémon but I sadly just can't see The Pokémon Company agreeing to it. Even a Sun & Moon simulcast on Crunchyroll would have been great.

Hold on didn't this show get utterly kicked in the teeth for its' UK airing? Like entire scenes lost their context and all?
Yeah. It will be interesting if Manga UK use the US broadcast materials, or UK. I just asked them on Twitter and their reply was basically "No news yet!". For reference, here's an excerpt from my episodes 1-6 review, noting some of the UK-exclusive changes:
Not everything made it to the United Kingdom intact though. On top of changes observed with the North American broadcast last year, Cartoon Network's airing of the series here has led to more alterations, with the most notable so far being 40-seconds of footage being cut from the second episode. This largely relates to a scenario where Katie catches Nate just as he's walking out of the boy's toilets and is manipulated by a Yo-Kai into telling the entire class, resulting in Nate's friends ribbing him about being caught by his crush of all people. Considering that the closest these scenes get to rude words are the use of “big stinky poop” and “defecating”, I honestly find their removal confusing considering how inoffensive they are. Another notable omission was a six-second shot in episode 3 showing Manjimutt, a Yo-Kai with a person's face and a toy poodle's body, urinating on a lamppost – which changes the implication of his arrest seconds later. These changes do little to affect the overall story and will no doubt pass under the radar of the series' target audience, but are disappointing for older fans like myself – despite my personal dislike of toilet humour.

Last edited:
Not that I doubt you but is there anywhere that Ofcom actauly says that?

Not specifically, but Ofcom's guidelines are quite clear that everything that airs on the channel has to be completely suitable for children. CN UK interprets that as a requirement that it be U level. You could blame CN UK for taking it too far, I guess, but it's not really their fault.

Back