Manga UK License Yo-Kai Watch Anime For May Release

J

Joshawott

Based on Level-5’s hit Nintendo 3DS video game franchise, Manga Entertainment is very pleased to announce that the Yo-Kai Watch television anime will be coming to DVD in the United Kingdom on 8th May 2017. The release is currently available to pre-order on Amazon for £19.99.

Manga Entertainment describe the story of Yo-Kai Watch, as follows:

Primary school student Keita Amano’s curiosity is as innocent as any other child’s his age. But when one day he decides to venture deeper into the forest, he encounters a small and mysterious capsule. Out from its depths comes Whisper. After 190 years of imprisonment, this ghost-like creature is glad that someone has been kind enough to set him free. He decides to reward Keita by becoming his guardian against supernatural forces. Whisper is one of many Yo-Kai that exist in the world, and provides Keita with a special Yo-Kai Watch, which enables him to see and interact with all the other Yo-Kai. Yo-Kai Watch follows Keita, Whisper and the cat spirit Jibanyan as they encounter Yo-Kai, befriend them, fix all the trouble that they so often cause, and, with the help of the watch, use the powers of previously encountered Yo-Kai to aid them. Young Keita may have been just an ordinary primary school student when he first encountered the Yo-Kai, but the many adventures that follow his discovery provide him with invaluable experiences and precious life lessons that help him grow.

The first season of Yo-Kai Watch was originally broadcast on Disney XD last year. The second instalments in the video game series, Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls will be released in Europe for the Nintendo 3DS on 7th April 2017.

Continue reading...

At risk of being laughed at for the question, do we know whether this is bilingual and uncut? Seems odd it wasn't in the press release :(

Maybe even... not PAL?

R

At risk of being laughed at for the question, do we know whether this is bilingual and uncut? Seems odd it wasn't in the press release :(

Maybe even... not PAL?

R

They were asked about languages on twitter, typical "No news on that yet we're afraid but we'll keep you up to date!" considering it's out in May I take that as "we don't want to say English only right after announcing, we want a little bit of good will".

They were asked about languages on twitter, typical "No news on that yet we're afraid but we'll keep you up to date!" considering it's out in May I take that as "we don't want to say English only right after announcing, we want a little bit of good will".

Cheers, I can't wait for the distant future when all of these kid shows are revived as ancient relics and released again in Japanese by some future incarnation of Discotek :(

It's hard to get excited about things without knowing whether you can watch them (the home video equivalent of simulcast announcements with 'regions to be confirmed').

R

The Amazon listing describes it as being PAL, but makes no specific reference to language options, aside from format noting that a dubbed version is on disc ("Animated, Box set, Dubbed, PAL"). To be honest though, I fully expect it to be dub-only. The target audience for this set are the 8-12 year olds who have watched the dub on Disney XD and play the English-only games. Also, like with Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, there are a significant amount of visual edits and cuts, so a bilingual release would require multiple video files for each episodes (and maybe even BBFC rating?). So even if Manga UK could get clearance from Viz Media/Level-5, I wouldn't deem a bilingual release financially viable tbh.

Saying that though, I am more than happy with a set of 20-ish dub-only episodes for £20. (And before anyone mentions blu-ray, I don't think even Japan has BDs of the series yet - only the movies).

Cheers, I can't wait for the distant future when all of these kid shows are revived as ancient relics and released again in Japanese by some future incarnation of Discotek :(

It's hard to get excited about things without knowing whether you can watch them (the home video equivalent of simulcast announcements with 'regions to be confirmed').

R

Yeah, Japanese dub with subs Pokemon, Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh would all be things i'd buy in a heart beat.

By the way guys, this is probably a Kaze release, try not to get too excited...

Maybe even... not PAL?

R

I was under the impression Dentsu had re-edited it for the dub, so dual language probably isn't a possibility. As a Japanese speaker, it won't be good for you, but the Yo-Kai Watch dub is quite enjoyable. It's not too disastrous if it's dub-only.

I think I'll wait and see what the US side does, before I commit to PAL. I went PAL for Digimon, and kind of now regret it. Though, Madman authored that, so I think it will have pitch-corrected.

Thanks all. I was going to assume dub only at the start but the lack of information and seiyuu names in the listing gave me hope. I love the JP version of a lot of kid shows!

R

Thanks all. I was going to assume dub only at the start but the lack of information and seiyuu names in the listing gave me hope. I love the JP version of a lot of kid shows!

R
I'd love a bilingual release but tbh, my policy in life now is to just expect the bare minimum, so anything else is a nice surprise. Sometimes, that still disappoints.

Back