Manga sniffing out fan opinion on Patlabor...

Lawrence said:
I haven't seen Patlabor but for the impression I get from Ayase and the good Prof, it seems like something i should watch. So if Manga were to pick it up, it would certainly be nice.

I remember being really annoyed a fair few years back that we never got any of it here in the UK (bar the movies ofc), looks liek good things come to he who waits

I don't see the TV series being released here because it's relatively long and not exactly a hot property, but I'd be surprised if nobody picked up the Oshii OVA now that Sentai have it.

While there's some great comedy and character drama in the TV series, it has too much predictable "monster of the week" tedium padding out its run and a truly loathsome antagonist who gets off scot-free at the end. I'd argue that the original OVA, Movie 1, and Movie 2 (which form their own continuity, with WXIII officially taking place between the first two movies) are the best of Patlabor and all anyone really needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't like the TV show. The movies were serious drama and excellent but the TV was more about comedy. On ANN it states comedy under the OVA, so not sure I'll be that keen.

I did just get confused to what I had though as Manga's original releases state:
Patlabor 1: Mobile Police
Patlabor 2: The Movie
But after checking they are definitely movies 1 & 2 :lol:

I think they missed a trick in not releasing the original OAV with the movies but I agree that the 47 episode TV series might be a tough sell. I still love it though.

The third movie isn't as good as the earlier movies or the OAV, but it's nice to check in with old friends every once in a while...

Will probably pre-order the Aussie versions if it doesn't get announced for the UK soon...

Back