Manga Questionnaire

AnimeEnchanter

Dandy Guy, in Space
this questionnaire is for my FMP (final major project) at college and would much appreciate it if you could answer this for me. it will help me out alot for my work. i am doing a manga comic for my final piece and have an idea for an interesting manga theme tell me what you think. THANKYOU!

Male or Female

AGE RANGE: (choose one)
10 - 15 16 - 18 19 - 24 25+

how do you preffere to buy you manga or do you read manga online instead of buying it?

do you like cross over comics?

when you buy a manga what are your reasons for buying it? (E.G interesting storyline)

when you look at the cover on the manga, what do you like to see and does it help you to buy the manga?

what do you think of the idea of putting final fantasy characters into the pokemon world? (i know that pokemon is kiddy stuff but im thinking of giving it more action and adventure).

if you have any ideas for me on this project, i will much appreciate it.

thankyou xx

Male or Female
-Female

-25+

how do you preffere to buy you manga or do you read manga online instead of buying it?
-I buy from UK-based shops (if I'm impatient) or websites like Amazon/Book Depository (if I'm being economical). I never read online scans.

-So long as it's comedy; serious ones rarely work as crossovers for me.

when you buy a manga what are your reasons for buying it? (E.G interesting storyline)
-Concept/storyline, genre, characters, art plays a role but the mangaka's ability to keep the panels flowing well is more important than individual drawings most of the time. I prioritise series from creators I already like, and josei series.

when you look at the cover on the manga, what do you like to see and does it help you to buy the manga?
-Representative art (it sucks when something has a gorgeous cover and is terrible inside or about something totally different), characters or dynamic visuals that draw me in, clearly stated creator(s) and title (sounds obvious but some are confusing, random series name changes for English release often totally lose me here too). I'd rarely blind buy just on a cover though.

what do you think of the idea of putting final fantasy characters into the pokemon world? (i know that pokemon is kiddy stuff but im thinking of giving it more action and adventure).
-They've been just about everywhere else :) and it's no more kiddy than some of the worlds in Kingdom Hearts. Would have to know more about the concept to say for sure but a parody like that could be funny.

R (twisted collector of crossover parody doujinshi)

Male or Female
-Male

-10-15

-I usually go to bookshops but if i want a direct japanese import that's not out over here i use the internet.I have never read scans online

-I suppose it would depend on what it's content was,but i suppose they can be good, as long as they dont always take themselves seriously

-Art, story , genre ans sometimes the author are what usually helps me decide.

-I like covers that kind of sum up what the volume is about or art related to the characters or story.

-It's different,but if no one tried anything different no one would be on this forum so go for it!^_^

Female

AGE RANGE:
25+

how do you prefer to buy you manga or do you read manga online instead of buying it?
I usually buy my manga (online mainly), though did read one series online.

I have never read any

Storyline is the main reason, though it helps if the artwork is in a style I like. The more Japanese it is the better as I like the cultural influences, e.g. Mushishi

I like to see a colourful and interesting cover – such as the ones for Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist. A good title is a must, saw a manga called something Red Pooh and with a title like that not really drawn towards it.

What do you think of the idea of putting final fantasy characters into the pokemon world? (i know that pokemon is kiddy stuff but im thinking of giving it more action and adventure).
Am not a fan of either shows so wouldn’t know what to think! ;)

Male or Female: Male

how do you preffere to buy you manga or do you read manga online instead of buying it?:
I buy all my manga, as they're not bad for price and it's the official and physical product in your hand. I usually get them from UP1 (online), but I also go into Waterstones if there's an offer on.

do you like cross over comics? I'm not sure I've had that experience. The only exception would be (in anime, not manga) Clamp's Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles, which is just a seperate story with cast from numerous Clamp animes.

when you buy a manga what are your reasons for buying it? (E.G interesting storyline):
The story, the detail of art and generally to try it out. Buy the 1st volume, and if I like, I collect it.

when you look at the cover on the manga, what do you like to see and does it help you to buy the manga?:
Well, it just has to be gennerally well presented. As long as it's colourful if adventurous, dark and possibly gothic for present time horrors, etc. then I'm not fussed. In other words, the cover must relect the story.

what do you think of the idea of putting final fantasy characters into the pokemon world? (i know that pokemon is kiddy stuff but im thinking of giving it more action and adventure).:
^_^' Erm, I'd say it would be a very grande long-shot if it was to work. I personally wouldn't mix the 2 together, as the genres/storyline seem too distant for my liking.
I would probably go with Final Fantasy and some Sci-fi anime as influence to it.

Male

AGE RANGE: 16 - 18

how do you preffere to buy you manga or do you read manga online instead of buying it? I buy all my manga from Forbidden planet but if i cant find the one i want i go online.

do you like cross over comics? Hell No!!

The volume length and if ive heard good things about it.

when you look at the cover on the manga, what do you like to see and does it help you to buy the manga? Bright and it has to be eye catching

The worst idea anyone in the world can come up with

-Male

-19 - 24

-Buy it...either online, or from a comic/book store

-Not really

-The chance that it won't be super-dry and serious, and not set in the distant past. I'll buy pretty much anything from Shonen Jump.

-Bright colours and girls

-I love them separately, and I'd prefer them kept that way.

First off why have you got a longer Final Year Project deadline then me? T_T :p but seriously:

- Male

- 19-24

-I either buy it online or from high street places like Forbidden Planet, it mainly depends on how much it is

-not really bothered that much to be honest

-Mainly if the storyline appeals to me, or if i saw the anime adaption and wanted to see more of that particular world

-Normally a scene describing something that happens within the manga itself, it may help presuade me but more often then not i look past the cover

-I would be skeptical of such a cross over like that but i wouldn't be flat out against it untill i saw a implemention of it

Hope it helps :)

Male

25+

I do read online, but I collect what I like. I buy almost everything online.

When they are good. Can't remember when I last saw some good cross over... Does League of extraordianry gentlemen counts as a cross over?

I like it - Sometimes is because of the art, sometimes because it's from an author I love and most of the times because of good storylines / storytelling.

Covers do not mean a lot to me... surely if I never heard of the series / never read it a bad cover would put me down.

Don't like it. Don't like pokemon... still cn't really understand how they made the FF / disney cross over work so fine in Kingdom hearts.. =)

Male or Female
Male

25+

I prefer to buy manga so I can re-read it whenever I want, plus I love to look at the books all stacked up on my shelves.

If its done well, but I hate when its done poorly or for the sake of just selling a few more editions

Usually the artwork and story will sell it to me, although a lot of my series are also from suggestions made by friends like Manga Girls from this site who has put me onto some great series.

I like to see the example of the artwork and maybe a character or two, I'll rarely pick up a manga that has a plain or boring cover.

I'd have to know the reason, if its done for the sake of it I am against it, i hate cross overs that are created with no real reason, I'd probably love it though if it was done in a very comedic way like Cloud having the other FF characters in Pokeballs

im doing it because im a fan of both and im doing this for my final project at college. in my mind i think it will work, if i do it the right, it would make a great comic. im not doing a whole story because ive only got 6 weeks to do it and thats including doing all the boring research. when ive finished with it i will try and put some scans on here to show how it turned out. and if it turns out good i might do it as just a hobby on the side. :D
plus what you said about liking to see them stacked on your shelf, i love to see that too. but i have too many im runing out of space lol.

keep it coming with the feedback. thankyou

Male or Female
Male

I prefer to buy my manga online and if I want it really bad I'll buy it in a shop. I never read comics online.

Doesn't really bother me, once the content is good.

Slick violence ala Hellsing, or comedy romance mixed with action ala Negima

I'm not too bothered by whats on the front, but if there is a kick ass picture on the front that may persuade me to purchase it on a whim. Also the quality of the material, for instance Dark Horse manga is quite tough and feels like value for money.

Don't watch pokémon and don't really have much interest in Final Fantasy

Male or Female
Male

25+

how do you prefer to buy you manga or do you read manga online instead of buying it?
I prefer to buy my Manga, using a mix of on line stores (Amazon & United publications) and local book stores.

Doesn't bother me so long as its a good story.

The story and the artwork - I like a mix of si-fi/fantasy, action, comedy & mecha.

The cover doesn't really influence me, it's never a true representation of the contents. I try to have a quick flick trough to see if the artists style is appealing and have a read of the synopsis on the back.

what do you think of the idea of putting final fantasy characters into the Pokémon world? (i know that Pokémon is kiddy stuff but I'm thinking of giving it more action and adventure).
Don't mind so long as it's in keeping with the feel of the series.

Male or Female
Male

19-24

I like a physical copy to read. I have read manga on the net before though it's not quite the same, it's considerably more strain on the eyes. That, and I quite like the collectability element.

Only if they're well done, and I can't recall any decent ones to be honest (with the exception of AvP which is American).

Usually I'll see the anime first or hear praise of it somewhere. I can't recall ever making an impulse purchase on cover alone without knowing something about it first. If I had to single out the deciding element for a purchase it's probably the characters, though a half decent story doesn't hurt either.

Hard to say. I like see a distinctive cover rather than looking and thinking
something like 'Bleach clone' or whatever.

what do you think of the idea of putting final fantasy characters into the Pokémon world? (i know that Pokémon is kiddy stuff but I'm thinking of giving it more action and adventure).
It's quite reasonable given the context. Both of them started life as turn based battling games, so why not?

Male or Female
Female
16 - 18

how do you prefer to buy your manga or do you read manga online instead of buying it?
Mix, but mostly buy it.

Do you like cross over comics?
Can be awesome to see characters meet others.

Cos' i'd buy one that sounded boring. o_O Aesthetically pleasing and yeah, good storyline ;P

Character design, generally won't buy a manga if the cover has a panty shot

Is this what you're thinking of doing? Guess it'll be interesting to see your take on it.
if you have any ideas for me on this project, i will much appreciate it.

thankyou xx[/quote]

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:38 am Post subject: Manga Questionnaire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this questionnaire is for my FMP (final major project) at college and would much appreciate it if you could answer this for me. it will help me out alot for my work. i am doing a manga comic for my final piece and have an idea for an interesting manga theme tell me what you think. THANKYOU!

Male or Female

10 - 15

Normally buy it online, but I do buy from Waterstones quiet alot too. I kinda start the series from buy the first 2-3 vols in the shop, then i finish it by buying online.

not really sure

I like good artwork and an interesting storyline.

I guess. If the artwork is pretty bad I guess it does put me off but, I mainly buy stuff if I hear its good off the guys on here so... I just generally flick through in store and then see.

No idea. Aint seen pokemon for ages, and im not a FF fan

Back