Manga publishers team up to stop piracy

It isn't going to actually do anything, but I imagine its to keep their legal stance of working actively to protect their copyrights.

I'm kind of with @Lambadelta on this one, thanks to demand and digital formats, piracy is a hydra, tackling the pirates directly will just have them replaced by someone else who wants to provide the service, and often drive them deeper "underground" using something much more imaginative and untraceable, one thing that is always said though, and I'm not condoning illegal activity, is that availability isn't there either, it took me ages to find the excel saga manga, would have been much easier if it was put online. I would say something like crunchyroll, but handled better and what MAL did with manga when the site worked do much better to stomp out piracy than the long arm of the law, look at what streaming did for movies and tv shows.
Piracy these days in many cases is much more about availability and service rather than penny pinching, there is much more money to be made for someone who will provide a customer friendly legitimate service

I would say something like crunchyroll, but handled better and what MAL did with manga when the site worked
Comixology is pretty good. I brought all of Battle Angel Alita when they had a sale, and they have sales pretty often as well. You can download them as well unlike MAL. I read the first volume on my phone as they have a nifty tool that zooms in on the page so you can read panel by panel. I checked it on the Amazon kindle and it looks great, so you need the zoom.

Comixology is pretty good. I brought all of Battle Angel Alita when they had a sale, and they have sales pretty often as well. You can download them as well unlike MAL. I read the first volume on my phone as they have a nifty tool that zooms in on the page so you can read panel by panel. I checked it on the Amazon kindle and it looks great, so you need the zoom.
I use Bookwalker for most of my manga, they often have sales as well but they also have a coins back program, and they often have coin boosts on, today they've got 25% coins back. I purchased vol 2 - 6 of Until Your Bones Rot and then I used the coins that I got back to buy volume 7. I use there Android app, they haven't got the panel zoom like Comixology, but you can download the digital books to an SD card which I find very helpful as my tablet doesn't have much space on it, and I also use BookWalkers app for reading any Humble Bundle manga downloads.

Well, at least it's a start that those services sound very good, I still think Bookwalker could use the zoom, I'll have to check them out, I'll have to say though they are western services? The STOP! Piracy thing seems to be looking at a more domestic problem, the only "services" I can think of that are in Japan are manga cafes and the mags that publish new chapters

There are loads of domestic Japanese digital manga shops. They mostly sell stuff in Japanese.

I like buying manga on Kindle, the transition to Comixology has been a bit confusing - the last time I checked it some of my titles were on one and not the other - but being able to indulge in the latest chapters of Black Butler on the go is great. It would be nice if publishers just stuck every title on every site they could find to make it easier to curate a digital library.

I also use Bookwalker, though mainly for magazine subscriptions (the most amazing advantage of the digital era; day and date Japanese magazines at reasonable prices without any delivery or storage problems!) Crunchyroll Manga and occasionally Renta also get a look in.

The campaign would do nothing over here as people tend to be quite stubborn about keeping their comforts without paying but I think educating younger generations will have a small effect in Japan, where the culture tends to be quite different. It is mostly a problem of education, after all; seeing creators speaking out against it won't stop everyone but it may make those with functioning moral compasses stop and think about keeping the industry going.

R

The campaign would do nothing over here as people tend to be quite stubborn about keeping their comforts without paying but I think educating younger generations will have a small effect in Japan, where the culture tends to be quite different. It is mostly a problem of education, after all; seeing creators speaking out against it won't stop everyone but it may make those with functioning moral compasses stop and think about keeping the industry going.
well I've already said about the kind of service and availability thing, which I guess availability for manga isn't much of a problem in japan, people who are already pirating that sort of stuff will still do it, to some extent and well look at the emulation scene, some people keep copies for longer than the official distributor, so that will still happen for as long as people don't want things to be forgotten.
obviously many reasons why people are still pirating content, but I do agree that perhaps allowing people to see what the content creators do and what their part in everything is may have the effect of those creators getting more support

Back