MANGA license Musashi and Eureka Seven movies

Neferpitou

Stand User
MANGA have announced on their twitter page that they are going to releases Musashi Movie from Mamoru Oshii and Eureka Seven Movie. They have also mentioned both will be released not just only on DVD but on Blu-Ray as well.

Manga Twitter Link

20090330eurekapeli.jpg

musashi.jpg

The Eureka Seven Film. The fanbase has reacted to that in mixed ways, despite a positive review from Theron Martin (with which many series fans disagree).
Of course, I have yet to try the economically-priced series myself. As always, I resolve to keep this franchise in mind for a later date.

Will most likely buy both, now only if I could get some confirmation that the E7 Anime Legends boxsets are fixed with the dub sync issue.

I had no idea there was a Eureka 7 movie, and I know nothing of Musashi. Oh, wait - it's Mamoru Oshii? Easy skip for me, then.

Is the Eureka 7 movie all new, a compilation movie or a re-telling of the series? Or directed by Oshii? :wink:

The Eureka Seven Movie is an alternate universe type thing i believe. Ryo i think has seen it so he can give a better idea of it, but if memory serves, i think there isn't any mecha in it. Don't hold me to that though, as i have still to see it(and the rest of the series, in fact)

HdE said:
I had no idea there was a Eureka 7 movie, and I know nothing of Musashi. Oh, wait - it's Mamoru Oshii? Easy skip for me, then.
Oshii is not the director ofr this, I believe he was remotely involved in the story, but I'm unsure.

Musashi is known in Japan as the greatest Samurai who ever lived and there are several personifications of him. He fought dozens and dozens of duels to the death and at least three high profile samurais as well. From wiki:

"Musashi challenged Yoshioka Seijūrō, master of the Yoshioka School, to a duel. Seijūrō accepted, and they agreed to a duel outside Rendaiji in Rakuhoku, in the northern part of Kyoto on 8 March 1604. Musashi arrived late, greatly irritating Seijūrō. They faced off, and Musashi struck a single blow, per their agreement. This blow struck Seijūrō on the left shoulder, knocking him out, and crippling his left arm. He apparently passed on the headship of the school to his equally accomplished brother, Yoshioka Denshichirō, who promptly challenged Musashi for revenge. The duel variously took place in Kyoto outside a temple, Sanjūsangen-dō. Denshichirō wielded a staff reinforced with steel rings (or possibly with a ball-and-chain attached), while Musashi arrived late a second time. Musashi disarmed Denshichirō and defeated him. This second victory outraged the Yoshioka clan, whose head was now the 12-year old Yoshioka Matashichiro. They assembled a force of archers, musketeers and swordsmen, and challenged Musashi to a duel outside Kyoto, near Ichijoji Temple. Musashi broke his previous habit of arriving late, and came to the temple hours early. Hidden, Musashi assaulted the force, killing Matashichiro, and escaping while being attacked by dozens of his victim's supporters. With the death of Matashichiro, this branch of the Yoshioka School was destroyed."

Yep, I'm sort of a Musashi fanboy =)

Thanks for the info guys!

And especially to Chaos for such a thorough explanation of Musashi. I've been threatening to dip a toe into the Samurai anime pool for a while.

If Oshii's involvement is more at the planning stage as opposed to direction, then I'll be tempted to give it a look.

HdE said:
Thanks for the info guys!

And especially to Chaos for such a thorough explanation of Musashi. I've been threatening to dip a toe into the Samurai anime pool for a while.

If Oshii's involvement is more at the planning stage as opposed to direction, then I'll be tempted to give it a look.
If you're interested in Samurai Anime, you could give Sword of the stranger a try or the Samurai X OVA's (not the movie or the TV series).

It is common in animes and mangas to have a character fight Yagius or Musashi as they were considered great saurais of the past, therefore fighting them (and surviving or beating them) automatically tells the japanese that the character has awesome fighting skills. This happens in Samurai Champloo, which is another samurai anime that is worth of your time. Samurai 7 is an ok anime, but hardly on pair with the ones I've mentioned before.

Thanks for the recommendations, Chaos!

Champloo is quite high on my shopping list at the moment, as a friend in the States has been telling me lots of good things about it. Sword of the Stranger certainly looks like a visual treat, too.

Sumarai Gun also seemed kinda interesting, just because I detect a certain noirish grittiness to the show from the trailers. Of course, I could be hopelessly wrong on that count.

Still need to check out the Eureka 7 series so I guess I'll hold off on the movies, certainly interested in seeing the Musashi movie though- As Oshii has some involvement it could go either way, I always have mixed feelings about his films, but on occasion he can be brilliant.

indeed the eureka 7 is completly non cannon, you can pick it up and watch it without even touching the series

then again, it felt more like pokemon than eureka 7 to me.

infact, i'd only recommend it cause 1 certain annyoing char in the series gets splatted and the 3 mins of fan service at the end of the movie ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mamoru Oshii has done the screenplay for Musashi for people interested. Here a sneak peak of it:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7Fz1DhJXKo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7Fz1DhJXKo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back