Manga Ent. UK strike deal with Funimation for 5 anime series

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to a news report published by <a href="http://eyeonanime.co.uk/panda.php">Eyeonanime.co.uk</a>, UK distributor <em><strong>Manga Ent.</strong></em> have struck a deal with US anime publisher <em><strong>Funimation </strong></em>to release the following anime series in the UK on DVD:
<ul>
<li>Black Blood Brothers Series 1 Part 1 (November 10th 2008)</li>
<li>Ghost Hunt Series 1 Part 1</li>
<li>Itsudatte My Santa!</li>
<li>Jy-Oh-Sei: Planet of the Beast King</li>
<li>xxxHOLiC Series 1 Part 1 (October 27th 2008)</li>
</ul>
No more information than the above has been revealed, and indeed, UK anime fans are bound to have many questions about this, not least of all whether or not <em>Funimation </em>have again switched their UK DVD distribution. This time from <em>Revelation Films</em> to <em>Manga Ent.</em>, keeping in mind that the former <a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/news/1193/revelation-films-takeover-funimation-dvd-releases-in-the-uk">originally replaced</a><em> MVM Films</em> as <em>Funimation</em>'s UK distributor in 2006. More news has been promised for October's <a href="http://www.londonexpo.com/">London Expo</a>.

Oh my word this could be massive..........If Funimation were to realease all them cancelled ADV and Geneon titles under Manga entertainment over here it would be huge.

Apparently a lot of the websites listing Revelation's future anime releases have either moved those release dates to TBA or removed the listings entirely. I guess there's definitely something big going on here, but what do you all think? Have Revelation done anything particularly wrong? I mean, they don't really have much of a presence in the community compared with the other UK publishers, which probably isn't helping them with their regular customers, but at the same time, the actual releases themselves haven't been that bad.

Wait, wait, so Beck and Mushishi what I've bought so far are going to be finished off being released by Manga? Well... damn. I don't want One Piece to be released by Manga Entertainment, but if they get their subs straight like the Death Note release I'd be all for it.

I wonder if we can kiss 'Starter Sets' goodbye then?
Though hopefully Manga will still release them in the current format.

Paul said:
Apparently a lot of the websites listing Revelation's future anime releases have either moved those release dates to TBA or removed the listings entirely. I guess there's definitely something big going on here, but what do you all think? Have Revelation done anything particularly wrong? I mean, they don't really have much of a presence in the community compared with the other UK publishers, which probably isn't helping them with their regular customers, but at the same time, the actual releases themselves haven't been that bad.

I dont think Revelation have done anything wrong...........I think Funimation want to get there anime out over here under a well recognized name..........even people who dont watch anime recognize the manga name and logo.

Maltos said:

If you look at the situation in the US, barring Funimation's projected big hits (Claymore, Darker Than Black, (Tsubasa 2nd season)), everything is being released in sets now.

There aren't really any more starter sets that the UK has missed out on since the ones that have been released. Maybe the Shuffle ender box, but Shuffle hasn't even been released here.

I'd only be concerned that if Manga Ent release the series that were half finished, if they just release sets, but in this situation I'd think they'd continue with the singles personally. Though, Funimation has the disgusting habit of cost-cutting too far and losing continuity with most things they release (School Rumble 2nd season, Tsubasa 2nd season, Aquarion 2nd set) and now the massive cost cutting of their cheap ass sets.

melonpan said:
Maltos said:

If you look at the situation in the US, barring Funimation's projected big hits (Claymore, Darker Than Black, (Tsubasa 2nd season)), everything is being released in sets now.

There aren't really any more starter sets that the UK has missed out on since the ones that have been released. Maybe the Shuffle ender box, but Shuffle hasn't even been released here.

I'd only be concerned that if Manga Ent release the series that were half finished, if they just release sets, but in this situation I'd think they'd continue with the singles personally. Though, Funimation has the disgusting habit of cost-cutting too far and losing continuity with most things they release (School Rumble 2nd season, Tsubasa 2nd season, Aquarion 2nd set) and now the massive cost cutting of their cheap ass sets.
Well Manga seems to be the choice company for releasing sets. Seems to be a buisness move via Funimation looking at Manga's track record with sets. We could be looking at more Death Note type situations even for 26 episode series.

And yes, i'd be concerned at Manga releases sets of current series too. I'd like to complete my Mushishi box please.

Mmmm, interesting as to the possible change from Revelation to Manga. Could be good as I expect Manga have more money behind them.

Only thing in this list I'm interested in is xxxHOLiC (I've been tempted to import it), and I'm hoping the Part 1 means that it will be coming out in a few small box sets rather than single DVDs.

for the love of Jesus WHY DONT THEY RELEASE DRAGONBALL Z!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I know the funimation boxsets work on R2 dvd players but not everyone knows that.

I also hope they release One Piece

I'd somewhat agree on the Dragonball Z front! They'd have a market for casual fans/kids too so i can see a large target market already. Though i can't imagine them being as good value as importing the US boxes, they'd have my money as i havnt got round to buying them yet.

I suppose this was the reason for the months without announcements. I don't really hold any doubt that the four or so titles they are releasing won't finish. They should just hurry up and stick all the discs out, though. The release schedule is way too slow. The same problem MVM had.

I'm with everyone else, If FUNi work with Manga the same way VIZ do. I'd love to see One Piece out here. I'll have to re-buy what I already own (even more-so if the boxes match the R1 that I own).

Paul said:
According to what was said at AmeCon sales of Fullmetal Alchemist dropped considerably after Revelation took over distribution from MVM. That may be a consideration. The slow rate of release over here may have been one attempt to pull sales figures up and when that didn't work they probably shifted focus to a different distributor with experience in the anime market. Looking purely at the market then Manga would certainly appear to be the most successful in that area (a lot of which is to do with the titles they have released as well as their experience in the market it has to be said.)

sanji no 1 said:
for the love of Jesus WHY DONT THEY RELEASE DRAGONBALL Z!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I know the funimation boxsets work on R2 dvd players but not everyone knows that.

I also hope they release One Piece

Maltos said:
I'd somewhat agree on the Dragonball Z front! They'd have a market for casual fans/kids too so i can see a large target market already. Though i can't imagine them being as good value as importing the US boxes, they'd have my money as i havnt got round to buying them yet.

Dragonball isn't an option. A French company owns the european rights to the series, and they have no intention of bringing it to the UK.

EpicLulz said:
I dont think Revelation have done anything wrong...........I think Funimation want to get there anime out over here under a well recognized name..........even people who dont watch anime recognize the manga name and logo.
Nothing wrong, other than thinking people want anime to be released quarterly, especially when they start three months after a monthly American release has started. Sales were down, so Navarre took the option of changing their distribution route.

Lupus Inu said:
if they get their subs straight like the Death Note release I'd be all for it.
Manga's sub problems are something of the past, and something that their parent company forced on them. They are better these days, even though people always mention them still. Old problems are often used as excuses for complaining.

EpicLulz said:
Oh my word this could be massive..........If Funimation were to realease all them cancelled ADV and Geneon titles under Manga entertainment over here it would be huge.
The Geneon titles aren't licenced by Funimation, they are licenced by Geneon. As for the Sojitz titles, we don't know what Sojitz intends to do yet, because the ball is in their court not Funimation's in that instance.

What ever this means one thing is for sure. Just more delays and uncertainty with anime in the UK. My only gripe with Manga is they won't translate the opening and ending songs , nor any script, or signs.

Back