Manga Ent. UK nab adaptation rights to US comic Wayward

P

Paul

Manga Ent. have a history of producing their own releases. Long before Hiroyuki Imaishi became famous for creating Gurren Lagann, he made the crazy Dead Leaves for Manga Ent.. Today, the company have announced that they have “optioned for TV” a US comic series called Wayward, which, if the promo-art is anything to go by, looks to have a strong Japan-influenced aesthetic. Manga Ent. UK hope to make it into either “a Japanese animated or live action series”.

wayward-705x1024.jpg

WAYWARD Comic Series Optioned for TV by Manga Entertainment UK Ltd.

Writer Jim Zub and illustrator Steven Cummings’ WAYWARD, an ongoing comic series published by Image Comics, has been optioned by UK-based Manga Entertainment for development in television as a Japanese animated or live action series. Zub and Cummings will act as creative consultants on the project, including development of the initial story treatment along with character and creature designs.

WAYWARD is an action-drama set in modern Tokyo where Yokai, Japanese creatures and spirits of legend, battle against teenagers imbued with newfound supernatural power. The series launched to critical acclaim in August 2014 and is currently available in monthly comic format and four collected trade paperbacks, with a new deluxe hardcover collection arriving in July. WAYWARD’s first volume, ‘String Theory’, made the Young Adult Library Services Association’s 2016 List of ‘Great Graphic Novels for Teens’ and has been favorably reviewed by many outlets, including Kirkus.

Zub is a Harvey and Shuster Award-nominated comic writer (AVENGERS, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, SAMURAI JACK, FIGMENT). His other creator-owned titles, GLITTERBOMB and SKULLKICKERS, are also published by Image Comics, the third largest comic publisher in North America and publisher of The Walking Dead.

Cummings is an American comic book artist based in Japan (DEADSHOT, LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT, STREET FIGHTER, FORAGER).

Jerome Mazandarani, COO of Manga Entertainment, said, “We are very excited to be working with Jim and Steven to bring the characters and world of WAYWARD to life for the screen. Jim and Steven have managed to create a truly unique high stakes action-drama that feels fresh and authentic in its mixture of Japanese and Celtic mythology. We are very confident this story will connect with audiences across Asia and the rest of the world.”

Zub said, “As soon as Jerome and I started talking about a collaboration, I had a good feeling Manga Entertainment would be the right place to develop Wayward. The crew at Manga intimately understand the anime market and have helped popularize some of the biggest brands in that space. As Japanese art and animation continues to go global, co-producing Wayward at a Japanese studio with Manga taking the lead is a natural choice.”

Continue reading...

How bizarre. Best of luck to Jim Zub and Steve Cummings.

I've read the first volume of Wayward and thought it was pretty fun. Though I haven't gotten around to reading any further yet. Its a bizarre series, as it could be a really appealing teen series, but in its taking of manga influences, it also included some pretty gory moments (so I remember, it has been a few years since I read it and I don't have my copy to hand). Either way, if it gets adapted by a Japanese company, it'll probably feel more in taste though it may lose a bit of its uniqueness with the western style.

Either way, I hope it turns out well.

Just watch. They'll make it, have a huge Song and Dance about it and then force People to watch it on the most remote tv channel they can.

Then they will blame streaming when it face plants.

Jim Zub is known in the circles I walk in - although I don't recall ever having had any interaction with him personally. He's a class act, though, and I'm sincerely pleased to see this developing from one of his projects.

Back