Manga apologise for DVD fiasco; Bleach DVD proper subtitles

CitizenGeek said:
Bleach isn't out until November now :[ Silly Play.com teasing me with a September date .....

Yeah as long as play knows that a product is coming they'll just make stuff up. Whoever fills out the content for the site probably thinks it looks better then TBA.

Meh, whatever the reason, I'm still really looking forward to this. The official site for the UK DVDs says there's 20 eps, on 3 discs, with volume 1!

CitizenGeek said:
Meh, whatever the reason, I'm still really looking forward to this. The official site for the UK DVDs says there's 20 eps, on 3 discs, with volume 1!

That's pretty fantastic if you ask me. I thought it was 8 eps a volume, but vol1 came with 4 extra.

Lmao @ the ****** sound effects on the Bleach trailer, still, they did a good job on advertising it like that... I MAY consider buying it. [May = I'll buy it anyway]

King Jimmeh said:
CitizenGeek said:

That's pretty fantastic if you ask me. I thought it was 8 eps a volume, but vol1 came with 4 extra.
From what I have heard Manga are planning on splitting the series out into series chunks (ie the first two sets should comprise the 20 episodes pf the Substitute arc; the second; the second two the Soul Society Entry arc and so on). It will be nice if they can keep up on that since nice logical chinks like that would make it all the better.

While I'm happy Bleach is getting subtitles instead of dubtitles, I'm still concerned over the (lack of) quality subtitles Mangle Ent. offer. If Bleach is going to have the same level subs as Naruto...not good. Getting 20 episodes on the cheap with subs on the level of bootlegs would not be value for money.

*still can't get over Mangle making it look like Kakashi was talking about Naruto's dad*

So I was reading Neo in borders today and it had a review of Naruto 2:2, oh they tore Manga a new ace-hole for thier manglin' of the subs. a two star rating.

Lupus Inu said:
Lol @ two star rating for sub errors, you do know there's an English language option, right Neo mag?

You do know that the majority of the people who buy Naruto will have watched it in JP first...right? It's not as if Jetix has made Naruto popular over here.

And, also, it isn't simply a case of subs errors on 2:1 and 2:2 - They didn't add sub for the JP voice acting at all. Bootleg quality subtitles is bad enough, but not adding subs at all...

Aion said:
You do know that the majority of the people who buy Naruto will have watched it in JP first...right? It's not as if Jetix has made Naruto popular over here.

If we didn't have fansubs the dub probably would've spawned fans, I know it did countless ones in America. >_>

Aion said:

I wouldn't think that at all. Unless you are suggesting more people in the UK use fansubs than children watch Jetix?

Zentron said:
Another display on how there is very little quality control at Manga these days!

These days? You do remember the low quality of releases in te late 90's and early 00's right? Believe it or not Manga has been getting alot better of late.

^ I'd put money on the vast majority of sales coming from fansub watchers (how do you think any of the more "mature" anime sells over here??) and people who like the idea of getting random anime on the cheap. I know I didn't get my mom to buy any of the crappy TV shows I watched when I was a kid.

Lupus Inu said:
Aion said:

If we didn't have fansubs the dub probably would've spawned fans, I know it did countless ones in America. >_>

Look on Youtube for 'Jetix Naruto' videos. There are some pretty shocking examples of how they butchered it, doing stuff such as zooming in for close-ups during the action not to show what happened, leaving the viewer clueless, or editing out the moment of contact on punches and the like.

Germany got it worse - They actualy cut out Zabuza's sword, making it look like he was holding a dildo.

Aion said:
Look on Youtube for 'Jetix Naruto' videos. There are some pretty shocking examples of how they butchered it, doing stuff such as zooming in for close-ups during the action not to show what happened, leaving the viewer clueless, or editing out the moment of contact on punches and the like.
I dunno 'bout you but that doesn't stop people from watching it, and I know about all that already.

Aion said:
Germany got it worse - They actualy cut out Zabuza's sword, making it look like he was holding a dildo.
I know dawg, I've seen the image where he's standing on thin air in the German version. >_>

CitizenGeek said:
Aion said:
I wouldn't think that at all. Unless you are suggesting more people in the UK use fansubs than children watch Jetix?
All that is irrelevant when the children who watch Jetix aren't old enough to buy the (15-rated) DVDs – and neither could many of them afford to buy anime (they wouldn't be watching butchered shows on TV if they could) or even know where to look for it.

My immediate reaction to all this was to ask for a boycott of all Manga products, but that might only push them further along the path which they seem to have chosen – that of disregarding, and sometimes even tricking, the art house house and otaku markets, instead catering almost exclusively to illiterate teenage boys. They need to know that this is, morally if not financially, an unforgivable decision, as it is they who have laid claim to several of the prime properties for both of these demographics. I want people to buy the small number of their DVDs which do have proper subtitles, thus encouraging them to raise their standards overall – and this does seem to be the best option, for the reasons mentioned above – but the idea that they have swindled well-meaning fans into buying DVDs without any subtitles makes me wish nothing else but to put them out of business. :|

Paul said:
At least they've admitted their obvious failings. The dub-title issue is a massive one for me, I won't buy their releases if they aren't translated properly. At least with Bleach, they are giving themselves the best opportunity of success.

Oh well, it's a shame they've gone and ruined all the good will they built up over the last few years.
Ya, pretty much what I think of it.

It's great that they're making some quality series available, now if only they were actually given quality releases...

Back