Mai Mai Miracle is done (February 4th 2014 - December 1st 2016)

I have to admit, while I expect I'll like the film I can't say it's the highest on the list of things I'm looking forward to. I kind of feel bad to say, since I feel like I may have been responsible for any trouble in the thread (I'd stand by my comments, although I wonder if I could have phrased things more carefully).

I do agree with qaiz, I can see where there might have been tension but I suspect it was mostly an issue of different perspectives rather than any malice.

Anyway, I guess I'll see what the film is like. I've found other favourites by picking things up on a whim, so you never know.

You're not responsible for anything other than creating some interesting and engaging discussions, which is fitting since you're one of the most well-spoken, well-mannered and articulate posters on the forum, not to say that other posters here don't exude any of those traits either but you're a beacon to us all.

I haven't really looked into the film itself in regards to plot as a means to go in as cold as possible but the art-style alone has me interested and the release itself is timely since my interest in In This Corner of The World has me very interested in seeing this as a result. As you can tell, I am very interested. I'm glad that it's getting a western release regardless of the circumstances and I'm glad to have contributed and spread the word for the campaign.

Despite the lengthy delays, I think this is the right time to be more experimental with anime films though - the mass market is still trying to find their Miyazaki replacement (until Boro the Caterpillar gets green-lit at least), which has seen increased interest in the likes of Hosoda, Hara, Shinkai and hopefully soon, Katabuchi. As much as I love Miyazaki's films, the post-The Wind Rises race to find the next big anime director has been really fun.

@Smeelia - I think ultimately, our disagreement over the matter comes down to our personal perceptions of why individuals may have been motivated to back the project. Some would have wanted to spread wider awareness, others would have been more focused on personally obtaining it themselves and other reasons. None of these motivations are wrong, but their differences may lead to opposition regarding the issue of hold-backs.

I have noticed in the gaming scene however,, that backers can get noticeably vocal if some perceive that non-backers are being given priority. For example, earlier on I alluded to an instance relating to the now-infamous Mighty No.9, where a simultaneous release was in effect and the distributor prioritised supplying the game to reviewers before backers. I didn't back Mighty No. 9 (thank goodness!), so you can imagine how I heard of it...

BUMP! The long journey is finally over! My copy of the Mai Mai Miracle Collector's Edition was delivered this morning and it looks stunning! Can't wait to watch it tonight.

CzjU5BiXgAA3V7Z.jpg

Got mine through today, 2 years in the making. Would like to watch it tonight but currently deep in the Black Jack OVAs and the Arsenal are on later too.

Back