Love it or Hate it. Haruhi is officially as popular as......

Ryo Chan

Symphogear
Dragonball :D

Apparently so far Kadokawa has shifted 60,000 copies of the Limited editions (with an estimated 15,000 normal volumes too). The same amount that Vols 4 and 5 of Death Note Combined and with the soon to come price cut on the way, it's expectedto shift atleast another 15,000 copies yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJpuUJgW ... re=related (those who don't speak Japanese need not apply :D)

incase your wondering what the current world wide recognition list is

1) Yattaman
2) 3000 Leagues in search of mother
3) Akira
4) Lupin the 3rd
5) Heidi of the Alps
6) Pokemon
7) Doreamon
8) Kyojin no Hoshi
9) Dragonball
10) Haruhi
11) The dog of flanders
12) Astro Boy
13) Touch
14) Speed Racer
15) Spirited Away
16) Crayon Shin-chan
17) Fist of the Northstar
18) Attack No. 1
19) Rose of Versailles
20) Ninja Hattori

However........

I'm sure the anti moe brigade will like this news

Bandai then decided to go LE trigger happy, and have over produced the Lucky Star LE's by about 60,000 themselves :D

Lets face it here, Haruhi and it's LE were bargins, but the Lucky Star ones, As much as i enjoy the series, it's no where near as popular, and the choice of extras................ Well in short, i think Bandai may of dug themselve a rather expensive hole

Just because people find the avalanche of pandering trying-too-hard-to-fit-in moe shows at the moment annoying doesn't mean they want Lucky Star/Bandai to get into trouble :S

Might watch LS one day but it will be in a collection by then if so - got better shows to pick up first.

R

Are you talking about the North American sales, or Japanese sales? Or North America + UK sales ? Or even worldwide sales?

60,000 + 15,000 = 75,000 That's quite an achievement.

Re: Love it or Hate it. Haruhi is officially as popular as..

Ryo Chan said:

Haruhi is great; it makes fun of moe and parodies it. The moment something like Kannon or Clannad or Moon Phase gets that popular is when I'll be angry at the anime industry. Haruhi, however, is fantastic! :p

Re: Love it or Hate it. Haruhi is officially as popular as..

Espy said:
Wait, so it's a cliche to dislike moe now?
Yes. Blame the internets.

CitizenGeek said:
Haruhi is great; it makes fun of moe and parodies it.
I dunno, I'd say it's more of a pastiche. It seems like if it was going for a parody it quickly becomes a case where the mummy hunter becomes the mummy.

CitizenGeek said:
The moment something like Kannon or Clannad or Moon Phase gets that popular is when I'll be angry at the anime industry.
Hmm? Why get angry with the industry in that case? If series like that become popular it just means plenty of people want them, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the industry.

I'm also a little confused about the first post. How exactly are they getting these world-wide recognition stats?
I do think that Bandai are being a little too optimistic with Lucky Star though.

melonpan said:
Are you talking about the North American sales, or Japanese sales? Or North America + UK sales ? Or even worldwide sales?

60,000 + 15,000 = 75,000 That's quite an achievement.

that's US sales only

i remember this nightmare i had once and i was shocked to find out that it finnaly got made into an anime series called 'The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzimiya'.

I can honestly say I've never heard of "3000 Leagues in search of mother". =/

...or most of that list actually!

OH MAI GAWD, CONGRATULATIONS HARUHI SUZUMIYA NO YUUTSU. ^_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________^

Good thing that popularity =/= quality.
Ryo Chan said:

*snip*
Of course. We never think of other reasons to dislike something. Yup. Definitely moe. :roll:

Aaron said:
I can honestly say I've never heard of "3000 Leagues in search of mother". =/
Looking down the list I recognise all but two - the thing is, lots of them weren't translated into english and are a bit too old and long for companies to pick them up nowadays. And, thinking about that, this really is quite surprising news to see Haruhi amongst those shows - it's totally out of place.

Think about it - there's some of the world masterpiece theatre stuff (3000 leagues, Heidi, etc), a couple famous films (Akira, Spirited Away), and a whole load of the old long-running series that got translated into a bunch of languages (not usually english :/ ) and spread around europe and south america back in the eighties or so. The newest thing on there apart from Haruhi is Pokemon, which isn't especially recent. So, if this is correct, looks like Haruhi is the biggest thing in anime since Pokemon.

Oh, I think Yatterman's a bit of an exception since iirc it's only released in Japan, but then I think a very large proportion of Japanese people watch it... or I could be getting it mixed up with something else.

Edit: -
Maxon said:
This isn't a list of the most popular or the best quality shows - it's about recognition of them.

Maxon said:
Ryo Chan said:

*snip*
Of course. We never think of other reasons to dislike something. Yup. Definitely moe. :roll:

i doubt u could get any more bitter if i stuffed u with lemons

Wait... so are you saying that Lupin the 3rd is the forth best selling anime series in the world? Then why the hell don't we get decent releases over here or in the states??

Sy said:
Wait... so are you saying that Lupin the 3rd is the forth best selling anime series in the world? Then why the hell don't we get decent releases over here or in the states??

as said before

it has nothing to do with sales that list

it's how well know it is (it's probually based on some "most searched" list by Yahoo)

Eh? I was under the assumption that Haruhi under performed in the US market? That's what I've been reading on ANN, anyway. It certainly hasn't done as well as expected, hence the wall of silence from the US publishers; they didn't mind crowing when Cowboy Bebop sold over one million DVDs.

Paul said:
Eh? I was under the assumption that Haruhi under performed in the US market? That's what I've been reading on ANN, anyway. It certainly hasn't done as well as expected, hence the wall of silence from the US publishers; they didn't mind crowing when Cowboy Bebop sold over one million DVDs.

hmmm strange to see animeondvd and ANN at complete opposites then

When will all these lies and deceit end! These rumours go on forever!!

I bet it's an underground cult fandom, that's why the US publishers are denying it all. Imagine: a who group of robed people doing the Hare Hare Yukai with the SOS Brigade symbol on each? That is an uprising! ;)

Not saying it was a bad seller, this quote sums it up quite nicely:

A good seller. By R1 standards, probably a near blockbuster. But not quite as high as they had hoped.

http://www.animeondvd.com/aodvb/showpos ... ostcount=7

It has done well for an otaku-centric series, but will be interesting if we ever find out if it made a profit or not. It's the classic "seen on fansub" anime, so its early popularity might have led expectations to be a little too high.

Paul said:
Not saying it was a bad seller, this quote sums it up quite nicely:

A good seller. By R1 standards, probably a near blockbuster. But not quite as high as they had hoped.

http://www.animeondvd.com/aodvb/showpos ... ostcount=7

It has done well for an otaku-centric series, but will be interesting if we ever find out if it made a profit or not. It's the classic "seen on fansub" anime, so its early popularity might have led expectations to be a little too high.

aye that quote goes along with the one i mentioned before bout them making too many LE's than they needed to

guess they ment for haruhi aswell as lucky star

Back