London expo

We did get there until 1pm, since I set out from 6am, replacement bus services was a joke hah.

I think I'd have to agreed it's even more crowded than last year, don't think I'll bother, unless I can get in early next time.

Very busy as always, at least it was in a bigger hall this time!

Interesting things to note was the qty of anime/manga related stalls. The sci-fi side of things has shrunk significantly over the last couple of expos. There used to be stands with PILES of sci-fi books (almost as lethal for me as cheap anime) but they were not there.

Also a big lack of R1 importers. This time it was pretty much just UP1 selling R1s. The dollar rate has really messed things up for them. Anyway, a good haul of random DVDs I would not normally have looked twice at.

Be sure to link to your photo galleries if possible guys, I may want to save a few of them if I've missed any awesome cosplayers you guys may have come across.

So ummm yeah, i managed to only attend the expo for like just over an Hour cos i had to go and watch 'High Kick Girl!' over at Prince Charles Cinema.
but yeah, anywho i found the expo this time so life-less and boring for some reason. could be that i attended the the sunday instead of the saturday....or could be the fact that i have grown tired of attending these expo's year after year.
meh
i did somewhat force myself to purchase some random items such as:
- FMA series one part two
- Mushishi complete series (WTF 6 Discs crammed into one case!? i'm scared of opening it )
- Magical shopping arcade Abenobashi (an old classic i loved)
- Hunter X Hunter T-shirt

although the only part i enjoyed was the 5 to 10 minutes of gametime i got with Batman Arkham Asylum.....i have been keeping my eye on this game for some time and it has impressed me alot.

Ninja Boy! said:
but yeah, anywho i found the expo this time so life-less and boring for some reason. could be that i attended the the sunday instead of the saturday....or could be the fact that i have grown tired of attending these expo's year after year.
meh
I must say that Sunday's expo seemed to be a completely different event than Saturday's
Saturday was a lot busier.

chaos said:
good pics. Left a comment there.

Glad you like'em, though I don't see your comment for some reason. :?

EDIT

Ah ****, so you're Chaos. One of my community members is called Chaos, so I thought it was him who posted that comment. I replied to it by the way, but here's a quote of what I said in case you don't want to back-track again.

If you click the image with your Mouse3 button (usually the scroll wheel) it will open the image in a new tab. Alternatively if you do not have a mouse which has a clickable mouse wheel, simple right click a gallery thumbnail and select "open link in new tab", assuming you're using Firefox. I'm sure there's a similar method on Internet Explorer if anyone is fail enough to still be using that.

Best of both worlds, no? The gallery is set up like that for the opposite reason you're having problems with. Some people prefer viewing images in a slide show rather than opening 64 photos in new tabs, but you can do either way as long as you know how. :)

I was a first timer at the Expo but absolutely loved it. It was so cool to see so many people in costume. There's obviously a lot of passion which goes into it.

I took some pictures from the day, including some shots of the artwork which you can see on the scifi Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/SciFicouk/75546966707?ref=mf

You'll also find my review of the event there.

Would be great to meet some of you at the next one.

Pete

Hello Sirs and Not-Sirs!

I need a lot of advice! I said I'd take the sibs to the Expo in October. Unfortunately, I haven't got a CLUE as to what to expect. I'm only just getting into Anime, and the extent of my cosplay experience is dressing up as the Riddler at Halloween, and being forced at gunpoint by sis into watching Demyx Time. I like my movies and I'm kinda up on my modern videogames though.

I'd like a fan's account on the matter: What can I expect? What exactly happens? How much in total is a super-mega-ultra all-access ticket (and when do you reckon they'll be on sale)? Treat me like a completely blank slate on the subject. :D

Thanks. :)

Captain N said:
I'd like a fan's account on the matter: What can I expect? What exactly happens?
Last month's con was my first. I'll describe it for you.

There were the advertised features:
-Plenty of DVD and manga merchants, often featuring special offers,
-All sorts of merchandise,
-gaming exhibits,
-flyers,
-DDR and Street Fighter IV battles,
-Discussion panels (of varying topics),
-Special guest signings,
-The ADV raffle.

There were also a few things I did not expect to be common at conventions:
-Free hugs offered by certain cosplayers;
-The longest and most exciting queue I can remember standing in,
-People slaving away with pencils in the drawing alley,
-Talking to industry salespeople.

And a few additional quirks:
-a lack of personal space,
-sweat,
-cosplayers gleefully signing release forms for photo compilations,
-a higher density of nerds using the public transport in and around the Docklands,
-fanboys/girls abound,
-A little intimate contact being offered by a few brave attendees in the form of 'glomping'.

Basically, there's one huge hall for queueing, another even larger one full of stalls and booths. Each features either material to buy, or new things to promote and demonstrate. One wanders around at one's leisure. Food is available in the central corridor inbetween the two halls, where a convivial atmosphere seems to gather.
£10 on the door was the price this summer. I'd recommend it, simply as a means of affirming one's fandom, and also that of the UK fanbase in general.

There was a Riddler cosplayer when I went, so provided you're happy with getting your costume down to the ExCel centre, you'll fit in well. Expect photo requests if it's a good one.

Keep up with the news here. I'm tempted to go again provided essays don't get in the way.

an early entry ticket is about 13 quid. what to expect? well, literally anything - I've been to a few now and I'm always surprised at what I see. Closer to the show we will start talking about an AUKN meetup, make sure to drop by =)

well me and my girlfriend are coming down for this one. Looking foward to it cause it be me first time there woo

I'll be down for the October one as well!Will be there for both days and the evening party in cosplay!Looking forward to it lots and it would be cool if there was a meetup!^_^

Zeouterlimits said:
Some fantastic photos, think I'll head next year.

Thanks, although I was a bit gutted that I spent too much time buying junk on Saturday instead of taking photos when there were so many attending. I also deleted a lot of photos as I was experimenting with a few things on my DSLR so a few of the snapshots didn't come out very nice. I'll be attending once again this October and taking lots of photos is definitely higher up on my to do list this time. :]

October Expo 2009

October Expo 2009

I will be attending and with any luck in cosplay as Haruka from FLCL :D I has inflatable guitar :lol:

I'm going to Expo again for October :)
Didn't cosplay in May due to a general feeling of 'meh' but im deffo doing it this time :)

Kouya from Loveless, Gokudera Hayato from Hitman Reborn and Alakazam Gijinka :)

Though if i can finish her in time, i'll be going as Klan Klan from Macross ^^

Back