Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin Plays in Derby

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
For those AUKN forumites who live in Derby the live-action adaptation of Rurouni Kenshin will be playing at the Derby Quad on Friday, November 15th.

Synopsis

The story takes place in the early Meiji period, a time of transition for Japan where industrialisation allowed Japan modernise itself and consign samurai to the history books. One such samurai is Kenshin Himura who was once an elite swordsman known as “Battosai” before taking an oath not to kill. He now finds himself as a wandering samurai offering aid to those in need as atonement for his past actions. During his travels he meets Kaoru Kamiya, an instructor at her father’s Kendo school. She offers Kenshin a place to stay at her dojo and their relationship begins to blossom but Kenshin’s past will soon catch up with him as he discovers that somebody has been using the name “Battosai” while committing murders.

Rurouni Kenshin is played by Takeru Sato who has appeared in the live-action version of BECK and Kamen Rider Den-O. Kaoru Kamiya is portrayed by Emi Takei, star of Takashi Miike’s recent adaptation Ai to Makoto. Other actors in the film include Teruyuki Kagawa (From Up On Poppy Hill, 20th Century Boys), Yu Aoi (Honey and Clover) and Munetaka Aoki (live-action The Girl Who Leapt Through Time). The film was originally produced and released in Japan by Warner Bros. Japan on August 25th last year. The film was also given a fairly wide release in the UK in October. If you want a fun action film then this should be on your radar!

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Might go see this but it does depend on what the weather is like on the day (it takes me around 35 minutes to walk to the Quad where it is being shown).

I totally recommend it. I don't know much about the source material so I came in fresh and I thought the film was well-shot stylish and a lot of fun and I'm glad I watched it.

Back