Live Action/CG Pluto film?

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
According to Deadline:

Universal Pictures and Chris Meledandri's Illumination Entertainment are teaming with Tezuka Productions to turn the Japanese Manga Pluto into a live action/CG hybrid film. Pluto, which married a beloved Japanese cultural figure with the writer Naoki Urasawa and artist Takashi Nagasaki, has sold 8 million copies in Japan. The series updates characters from the Osamu Tezuka-created Astro Boy and sets the action in a world populated by giant robots and cybernetic citizens. Illumination, formed by former Fox Animation head Meledandri, came out of the gate this summer with a hit in Despicable Me. Meledandri follows with Hop, a live action/CG mix that bows April 2, 2011, with Russell Brand voicing the Easter Bunny. Right behind that is Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, the Ricky Gervais-created Flanimals, a new stop-motion version of The Addams Family with Tim Burton directing, and a sequel to Despicable Me, which has so far grossed north of $360 million worldwide.

"With Pluto, Naoki Urasawa has defined an imaginative world full of inventive action and adventure but it was his characters and heartfelt story that compelled me towards acquiring these rights," Meladandri said in a statement.

Source.

I don't hate the idea, but this is probably the most cautious I've ever felt towards an adaptation. I wonder if it could reignite the flames about that Monster film that went no where.

I hate the idea a fair bit, but primarily because I'm guessing it won't have the budget behind it to make the CG not look **** in conjunction with live action.

On the other hand, Despicable Me looks pretty good, and they are going to be working with Tim Burton, so presumably the studio do have access to people with some money and talent somewhere along the line. It's just a case of how much of it they direct towards Pluto.

In fact, let's be more realistic - when was the last time a property like this got licensed by a Western studio, and then they actually went ahead and made the movie?

I'm looking forward to Pluto because the manga is excellent (from what I've read) but here's more Hollywood adaptation news:

Fruits Basket

A popular Shōjo manga titled Fruits Basket is currently under the planning stages of becoming a live-action Hollywood movie. The movie would be produced by Joshua Long from 1212 Entertainment, he’s known for his work on the Cowboy Bebop movie with Keanu Reeves.

source: http://www.tokyohive.com/2010/10/fruits ... ion-movie/

Back