Live Action Akira Put On Hold For Downscaling

devilrules666

Combat Butler
The Hollywood Reporter is claiming that pre-production in Vancouver on the American live action version of Akira has shut down, pending yet another rethink on the the budget.

The project, which has been plagued with problems and setbacks over the past couple of years, now faces yet another budget cut, with Warners apparently hoping that director can shave another $20-30 million off the $90 million budget. Akira has already suffered from a previous drastic downscaling: when Albert Hughes was set to direct, the proposed budget was allegedly a massive $160 million. Looks like Warners have serious doubt about the film’s pulling power – both in terms of audience and attracting star names. So far only Tron: Legacy’s Garrett Hedlund is officially attached, and he’s hardly a big box office draw.

Akira has gone through various rewrites, with Harry Potter’s Steve Kloves the lates person to tackle the script, following versions by Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby and Gary Whitta. Looks like somebody will have to be brought in to perform another streamlining operation.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/01/05/live-ac ... wnscaling/

Hopefully this means the film is in limbo and never sees the light of day! :D

it would never work anyways.

come on someone tell me a live action film that was from a anime and was good, *gantz doesn't count gantz live action was good

no wait let me rephrase that question

name me a live action film that was from a anime that was made by hollywood............. answer none

Truered said:
But how else will I see Dave and Steve's adventures in Neo-New York? :(

I'd rather see we British make an adaptation and set it in Neo York, which had been rebuilt after being nuked by Lancashire. Instead of a biker gang we would have steam locomotive enthusiasts who hang around the National Railway Museum.

It's not a faithful adaptation, but it would be a laugh. ^_^

I'm actually a little bit upset to hear this news......hang on a sec, won't a cut budget mean an increase in shoddy quality, hammy acting and ridiculous scripting?
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YKUOB8MN4Kc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YKUOB8MN4Kc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Ian Wolf said:
Truered said:
But how else will I see Dave and Steve's adventures in Neo-New York? :(

I'd rather see we British make an adaptation and set it in Neo York, which had been rebuilt after being nuked by Lancashire. Instead of a biker gang we would have steam locomotive enthusiasts who hang around the National Railway Museum.

It's not a faithful adaptation, but it would be a laugh. ^_^

....I'ld watch it.

Ian Wolf said:
I'd rather see we British make an adaptation and set it in Neo York, which had been rebuilt after being nuked by Lancashire.
A capital idea! One must advise, however, that Standard English subtitles should be provided for the sake of national and international viewers.

Well, the 1995 Ghost in the Shell film was a big influence on The Matrix.

animefreak17 said:
name a live action film that was from a anime and was good, *gantz doesn't count gantz live action was good
The Japanese live-action Death Note films were pretty good.

name me a live action film that was from a anime that was made by hollywood............. answer none
Speed Racer, Dragonball Evolution. Did I bring up more bad memories?

Back