Light Novels

Shakey

Dandy Guy, in Space
I recently read the first Haruhi Suzumiya novel and really enjoyed it. Now im looking for more anime/manga related light novels. So if anyone has any recommendations that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Well, first off, the second Haruhi Light novel was released this month, so its worth picking up if you liked the first. Second of all Full Metal Panic had its first 3 main story novels released in english, but nothing ever since, which is annoying. You can still find the first two novels easily enough, however the third is generally out of print everywhere you look, but i'd recommend reading it if you want to what FMPs original content was like.

Spice and Wolf volume 1 is due out near the end of the year and despite its rather changed cover, i'd recommend giving it a go. Outwith the trade jargin its got good characters and character relationships, or rather, the one between Horo and Lawrence. Its like haruhi and FMP though in that its still ongoing.

They are the main ones that come to mind straight off, but i think there was a twelve kingdoms light novel series too. I would also say look into Moribito, but its not exactly a light novel, though its still worth a look into as its one i thoroughly enjoy.

I would also recommend the Full Metal Panic light novels as well, great reads :) I guess the two Devil May Cry light novels are okay although the first one no longer sits in contunity since DMC 3 came out.

If you want to blow your brain, I recommend xxxHolic: Another Holic. Other than them, as others have said try the FMP novels and Spice and Wolf, which will be out later in the year. I'm pretty sure the Shakugan no Shana novels are out too, but not read them so I can't comment too much.

Read the first Haruhi novel (got the second on preorder).

Also read the Welcome to the N.H.K. and XXXholic: Another Holic, Kino's Journey book 1 and the 3 Crest of the Stars novels - very good.

I have also got some of the .Hack books (AI Buster & Another Birth) which are good.

Also got but not yet read Death Note Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill check them all out an pick a couple that i fancy the most.

@chaos
I have considered 12 Kingdoms before, how many novels are there? and are they easy to come by?

12 kingdoms is currently being released once a year, I actualy find this pacing good enough so far.

There are three novels released in english already.
amazon has 1 and 2 in stock; 3 and 4 for pre-order. Looks like the first edition of V3 sold out, as they are making a second one...

mangaman74 said:

Also read the Welcome to the N.H.K. and XXXholic: Another Holic, Kino's Journey book 1 and the 3 Crest of the Stars novels - very good.

I have also got some of the .Hack books (AI Buster & Another Birth) which are good.

Also got but not yet read Death Note Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases.

Haruhi on pre-order? Hardback or paperback? as i have the hardback version sitting on my chest of drawers the now, so you should have had it sent by now.

Arbalest said:
mangaman74 said:

Haruhi on pre-order? Hardback or paperback? as i have the hardback version sitting on my chest of drawers the now, so you should have had it sent by now.

I meant the hardback version of The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya. I just checked WH Smith's website and it says 1 to 2 weeks so I may consider changing my order.

I love light novels. The best one I have ever read has to be 'Kino no Tabi' or Book One of The Beautiful World if you go by the other title. It's the book the anime, Kino's Journey, was based on. It deals with some bleak subjects, but it's the thinking person's Gulliver's Travels. I can't rate it highely enough - it's simply that good!

Blimey! The Welcome to the NHK novel is seriously hard to find for less than 60 quid, how can some people sleep at night charging that kind of price!?

@ Manga Girls

I never knew Kino's Journey was based on a book. I loved the anime so ill defo look into this one. Thanks.

Shakey said:
Blimey! The Welcome to the NHK novel is seriously hard to find for less than 60 quid, how can some people sleep at night charging that kind of price!?
What!? :D

Go on then, you can have mine for the bargain price of £59.99.

Shakey said:

@ Manga Girls

I never knew Kino's Journey was based on a book. I loved the anime so ill defo look into this one. Thanks.

According to United Publications it is due for a reprint in December.

Back