Light Novels

Ath

Pokémon Master
Woah, necrobump alert.

I've started reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya via the Kindle app on my phone. Makes commuting much more tolerable in the mornings. In any case it's pretty good. Kinda want to compare it with the anime adaptation side-by-side, reading loads of passages which I remember the anime pretty much quoting verbatim.

Lutga

Mad Scientist
Funnily enough, I'm reading the third Haruhi book at the moment too. They're pretty well done, as far as light novels go, and once a lot of the initial exposition is out of the way, you can just sit back and enjoy the characterisation - although with the full interior monologue, Kyon definitely comes off as more of a perv over Asahina than he does in the anime.

st_owly (witch)

Time-Traveller
I have all the Haruhi novels in hardcover. I've not read the most recent, but I've read the others. I may go back and revisit them at some point as it's been years since I read the early ones/watched the anime.

Ath

Pokémon Master
Phew, finished off The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya last night. Definitely glad I read them. It definitely went through highs and lows, Sigh was a chore and Intrigues went through a lull in the middle. The entire story arc from Dissociation to Surprise was truly excellent though, and right up there with Disappearance as the peak of the series.

Lutga

Mad Scientist
I'm trying to stagger my reading of the Haruhi novels as when I read the 2nd one strait after the first I found it too 'samey' and it kind of dampened a lot of what makes them such enjoyable reads - when I came back to the third one after a long time away, it really reminded me of all the little phrases and general tone that makes them so good. I'm looking forward to the later ones though, for sure.