Legal Streaming for Winter 2021 Anime Simulcasts & Catalog Additions

Not sure if i missed this but the Funimation App seems to be feeling the ripples of the Crunchy buy out as a few series from their catalogue have made there way over. Noticed Gintama s3, Recovery of an MMO Junkie and New Game which had all previously disappeared from the UK.

Edit: going by the list of Crunchyrol departures when they split there's Brave Witches & Nanbaka been added as well.
Very Interesting. I think there may be an accounment soon, since it's unusual to have so many new shows.
Some of these don't have all the episodes in a season (or labelled incorrectly) so I'm guessing these are "temporary" for now.
Good spot!

Very Interesting. I think there may be an accounment soon, since it's unusual to have so many new shows.
Some of these don't have all the episodes in a season (or labelled incorrectly) so I'm guessing these are "temporary" for now.
Good spot!
Yeah I noticed MMO junkie as I'd searched it last week to give a rewatch and wasn't available.
Having looked at it now it only has eps 3 - 10 so I assume they're in the process of adding.

What does everyone predict will happen with funimation& crunchyroll catalogues overall? Will funimation get more crunchyroll titles and vice versa, will either platform lose any titles, will they merge into one massive provider??

I hope they merge and join their apps together so that my partner can actually find the anime they want to watch without getting confused, and the horrendous bugs in both apps can then be addressed. I like Funi's layout more but they have far more bugs, while Crunchyroll's new layout is horrific and randomly stops playing videos every couple of episodes. Having two apps and two subscriptions for effectively the same service is very tiresome.

R

I hope they merge and join their apps together so that my partner can actually find the anime they want to watch without getting confused, and the horrendous bugs in both apps can then be addressed. I like Funi's layout more but they have far more bugs, while Crunchyroll's new layout is horrific and randomly stops playing videos every couple of episodes. Having two apps and two subscriptions for effectively the same service is very tiresome.

R
That’s exactly what I want to happen. One subscription, more anime, and less “duplicates” between shows. Merging the subs and dubs between the shows across both services will be great too.

But my question, Mr Admin, is what do they call it? Crunchymation, Funroll? 🤣
More seriously, isn’t Crunchyroll more well known as a name? Than Funimation?

What does everyone predict will happen with funimation& crunchyroll catalogues overall? Will funimation get more crunchyroll titles and vice versa, will either platform lose any titles, will they merge into one massive provider??
I think they'll try same as last time with Funi - Dub & Crunchy - Sub.
Possibly one price point for one and another as an add on. Like £5 for one, £10 for both.
Or more likely though they'll just bypass the choice, roll them into one, and charge £12 - £15 a month 🤷‍♂️
Either way they can get rid of Funi's absolute bad of s#it app!!!

Last edited:
I hope they merge and join their apps together
I'm guessing this would be the preferred option for most and hopefully what they will do whilst bringing the best from both.

I think they'll try same as last time with Funi - Dub & Crunchy - Sub.
Possibly one price point for one and another as an add on. Like £5 for one, £10 for both.
Or more likely though they'll just bypass the choice, roll them into one, and charge £12 - £15 a month
Ah I didn't know that's what they had before; that would work nicely with those package options and I'm guessing having different price points with the same catalogue depending on subs/dubs/both would likely attract more to sign up. One way or the other, I do hope they unify their catalogue.

Mahoroba ~Heartful Days~ and Stellvia have been added to Crunchyroll today. Both Discotek licenses I believe.

Also TAMA of the 3rd District -Have You Seen My Tama?

Mahoroba ~Heartful Days~ and Stellvia have been added to Crunchyroll today. Both Discotek licenses I believe.

Also TAMA of the 3rd District -Have You Seen My Tama?
Thanks for letting us know, we shall have this updated at the beginning of next month.

Just seen B the Beginning Season 2 is coming to Netflix 18th March- not sure if it’s been mentioned already

was about to start watching it but will hold off now

Um, has anyone else noticed that Crunchyroll has now locked 2 episodes of Quintessential Quintuplets Season 2 behind Premium?
Is this an error or a strategy going forward?

The schedule page shows that S2E4 should be available now, but the episode page itself says not available in date for free users and has a banner ad saying to go premium to watch the rest of the series. Has this ever happened before?

The same appears to be happening to So, I'm a Spider and That Time I got Resurrected as a Slime, I've noticed adverts during episodes have largely disappeared from free episodes; I'm guessing they are going to move to pay only soon :(

The same appears to be happening to So, I'm a Spider and That Time I got Resurrected as a Slime, I've noticed adverts during episodes have largely disappeared from free episodes; I'm guessing they are going to move to pay only soon :(
Yeah I noticed this on Slime but it didn't start until episode 4 or 5

Crunchyroll during their Awards have announced five additions to their Spring 2021 simulcast line-up:

• I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
  • JORAN: THE PRINCESS OF SNOW AND BLOOD
  • ODDTAXI
  • Tokyo Revengers
  • ZOMBIE LAND SAGA REVENGE (also coming to Funimation as a simuldub)

Funimation will also be simuldubbing How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Omega this Spring 2021 season (Crunchyroll has the rights but Funi will keep consistency for dub viewers).

And considering their track record when it comes to licenses via their news articles, I expect both Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro! and EDENS ZERO to be with Funimation as well (NOMAD: Megalo Box 2 was also reported, but Funimation have a partnership with Viz Media so the series is expected to be on Funi's service for the US/CA and the license with Viz).

A few more catalog and simulcast news.

Discotek has provided a number of titles now streaming on Crunchyroll but the UK/IE accessible ones are Sister Princess, Sister Princess Re Pure, Tetsujin 28 and Tetsujin 28: Morning Moon of Midday.

For simulcast, Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House (Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san) is now streaming on Crunchyroll.

Back