Legal Streaming for Spring 2021 Anime Simulcasts & Catalog Additions

I'm all for 600hrs of tennis but if we're raiding the back catalogue can we please have the substantially sorter Monster & Blood+?!?!?!

Looking at this list and hate how the shows I really want to watch are all on Netflix.
Guess they won't be accessible for 3-6 months now. Every other anime streaming site (unless I'm wrong here) air them weekly. Why on earth do they need to wait such lengths when they know all it'll do is drive people to pirate the series? People will do that if they have to wait a week for episodes, let alone the time they add to it. It's not like they control the only source where the show can be aired when it gets aired weekly in Japan. Or they sort of do (I think they are doing the airing in Japan) but why do it so differently when it's almost standard that a lot of anime fans watching current shows will check out episodes as they come out.

I prefer that Netflix put up their shows will all episodes available. I’m not into weekly viewing.
Correct me if I’m wrong but if Netflix have it u cant watch it any other way until it’s all up. No excuse if that’s the case. I’ve just signed up for a month on FunimationNow to watch what I want and I’ll cancel after. Same can be done with Netflix. People need to have some patience.
Looking at this list and hate how the shows I really want to watch are all on Netflix.
Guess they won't be accessible for 3-6 months now. Every other anime streaming site (unless I'm wrong here) air them weekly. Why on earth do they need to wait such lengths when they know all it'll do is drive people to pirate the series? People will do that if they have to wait a week for episodes, let alone the time they add to it. It's not like they control the only source where the show can be aired when it gets aired weekly in Japan. Or they sort of do (I think they are doing the airing in Japan) but why do it so differently when it's almost standard that a lot of anime fans watching current shows will check out episodes as they come out.

When Violet Evergarden was airing they put them out weekly. Same with Better Call Saul and maybe some other shows too, I'm not sure.

IMO they should put out the sub only episodes for the people who like to watch along weekly and then release the dub episodes ASAP once it's finished airing. They only lose views/hype by delaying them.

I prefer that Netflix put up their shows will all episodes available. I’m not into weekly viewing.
Correct me if I’m wrong but if Netflix have it u cant watch it any other way until it’s all up. No excuse if that’s the case. I’ve just signed up for a month on FunimationNow to watch what I want and I’ll cancel after. Same can be done with Netflix. People need to have some patience.
Why do you think it's so frustrating? Because there is no other way right now but to wait, all the while you hear everything about the show yet can't watch it as spoilers leak across the internet (because they will, it's hard enough to go dark for a few days, let alone 12 weeks or potentially far more since they may hold it till the entire show is done worst case and that could be an entire year).
Nothing kills a show's hype more than delaying it so long that people forget it's a thing.

When Violet Evergarden was airing they put them out weekly. Same with Better Call Saul and maybe some other shows too, I'm not sure.

IMO they should put out the sub only episodes for the people who like to watch along weekly and then release the dub episodes ASAP once it's finished airing. They only lose views/hype by delaying them.
I'd wish they'd do that. They are airing it weekly in Japan so all they need is subtitles put over, and we know that can be done weekly since it has been done weekly.

I used to be pretty against Netflix's model of waiting for the show to be dubbed but at this point my frustration has subsided and I'm just tired of being mad at something so trivial. If people are impatient enough to go pirate a show and spoil it for everyone else then that's their fault, not Netflix. Netflix offers good accessibility where multiple dubs can be released alongside the original version. Sure it would be nice to also follow the industry standard of weekly episodes but I don't think that's so necessary when people can literally wait. In an industry that throws up 50 shows a season I doubt one or two shows getting delayed a few months is that big an issue.

The over saturation of anime each season is the problem and is why I’m not a fan of the culture of weekly is it hot or not in the moment. I can see SK8 lit up for a lot of people will it be talked about in 6 months no, I know I will be as I doubt it will be topped. I’ve learnt to enjoy anime a lot more now I only watch 4 shows a season. And just rewatch/watch stuff I’ve paid for in the background.
However shonen and Netflix seems a bit odd especially as these seem long running compared to SDS which always was 24 eps chunks.

Aye I've started just taking my time with a seasonals. Most of the season I can just focus on my backlog while judging the general reaction to seasonal shows on Twitter. With that many shows to sift through you may as wait and see what's worth watching unless it's sequels where you're already familiar with the show.

I used to be pretty against Netflix's model of waiting for the show to be dubbed but at this point my frustration has subsided and I'm just tired of being mad at something so trivial. If people are impatient enough to go pirate a show and spoil it for everyone else then that's their fault, not Netflix. Netflix offers good accessibility where multiple dubs can be released alongside the original version. Sure it would be nice to also follow the industry standard of weekly episodes but I don't think that's so necessary when people can literally wait. In an industry that throws up 50 shows a season I doubt one or two shows getting delayed a few months is that big an issue.

It's more annoying when it happens to be one of the big names of the current season, and a potential long one at that, while also having another potential big name at the same time doing the same thing.
Using an example, I know Netflix has the Great Pretender or something along those lines and have heard good things on it, to the point I'll give it a watch at some point. But I don't remember seeing a lot of hype building around the Great Pretender until it had a few episodes out (likely from the bulk release). But Shaman King and Eden's Zero? One is the rumoured remake of an old shounen classic that has been slowing building up hype for a year, the other is the new work of the author of Fairy Tail.

I know nothing can be done, at this point I'm ranting for the sake of it, so sorry if I sound too argumentative. I just wish they had some way to allow episodes to be watched sooner than an unspecified length of time, since they could very well not do anything for an entire year if they decide to hold every episode back till it's complete.

I'm gonna chip in for a change just to point out that not all shows work marathoned - remember that they're created with the expectation that they'll be watched weekly and in some shows the writing forces it to be so. I remember people commenting at the time but Girls Last Tour was one where multiple episodes didn't work.

I'm gonna chip in for a change just to point out that not all shows work marathoned - remember that they're created with the expectation that they'll be watched weekly and in some shows the writing forces it to be so. I remember people commenting at the time but Girls Last Tour was one where multiple episodes didn't work.
Each to their own really. I saw GLT in one sitting and thought it was a masterpiece. And for a while now I've pretty much only binge watched stuff.

But then recently I've been delighted that the Disney + Marvel shows have been weekly episodes. The social interaction amongst the fans has been so much fun and has has added to the enjoyment.

I definitely don't have the patience for binge watching anime unless its to review, I prefer the weekly format a lot more. I suppose the social aspect does factor into that as well because a lot of the people I follow on Twitter and my friends watch this stuff weekly so I want to be able to join in the conversations.

Ultimately I think there should always be a choice though and that's what bothers me the most about Netflix where people like me have no choice but to wait for the show to end and then sometime in the future be released in its entirety on the service.

Crunchyroll has revealed their final batch of new anime for their Spring 2021 line-up.

New additions are as follows:
  • 86: Eighty Six [Aniplex series]
  • Cestvs: The Roman Fighter [+ULTRA series, first one from that block to be available outside Netflix]
  • SD Gundam World Heroes
  • Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun! Season 2

Yet again due to focusing on the physical backlog my watchlist is down to a decent five series. Some other shows I may keep an eye on and binge them once the season's over.
  • Let's Make a Mug Too
  • I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
  • Zombie Land Saga Revenge
  • Super Cub
  • SSSS.DYNAZENON

Two updates for Crunchyroll:​

Gloomy the Naughty Grizzly (Itazura Guma no Gloomy) joins the Spring 2021 simulcast list.

English Simuldubs confirmed for I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years, To Your Eternity, Tokyo Revengers, and Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun Season 2 with the second half of So I'm a Spider, So What? also.

One update for Funimation:​

Blue Exorcist and its second season Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga joins the Funimation streaming catalog.

Naruto the Movies 1-3 as well as Naruto Shippuden the Movie also joins the Funimation streaming catalog.

One update for HIDIVE:​

Gargoyle of Yoshinaga House (Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle) will stream as a catalog addition.

Another update for Crunchyroll:

86: Eighty Six also confirmed to be joining the English Simuldub line-up for Spring 2021.

Another update for Funimation:​

As part of their on-going partnership with NIS America, more titles have been made available on the service with these few accessible for the UK/IE region starting 15th April:
  • Chronicles of the Going Home Club (Kitakubu Katsudō Kiroku) [Also on Crunchyroll]
  • Daily Lives of High School Boys (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
  • Genshiken Second Generation (Genshiken Nidaime) [Also on Crunchyroll]
  • If Her Flag Breaks (Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara) [Also on Crunchyroll]

Crunchyroll announced on Thursday that the following anime will leave the service on April 21:

Mekaku City Actors
La Corda D'Oro - primo passo
La Corda D'Oro ~secondo passo~
Miracle Train - Ōedo-sen e Yōkoso
Sound of the Sky
Mitsudomoe Seasons 1-2
Hourou Musuko Wandering Son
The Idol Master
Dog Days Seasons 1-2
Ghost Slayers Ayashi

I wish they would give at least 2 weeks notice

Crunchyroll announced on Thursday that the following anime will leave the service on April 21:

Mekaku City Actors
La Corda D'Oro - primo passo
La Corda D'Oro ~secondo passo~
Miracle Train - Ōedo-sen e Yōkoso
Sound of the Sky
Mitsudomoe Seasons 1-2
Hourou Musuko Wandering Son
The Idol Master
Dog Days Seasons 1-2
Ghost Slayers Ayashi

I wish they would give at least 2 weeks notice
It may have been a restriction from the license holder. Bit of a weird restriction but it's pretty common for series leaving CR to only get a week's notice.

Back