Learning Japanese

Kurogane

Chuunibyou
Just curious as to who is learning/considering learning Japanese?

I know it seems to be craved at least at one point for every anime fan. :p

I try and learn every now and again, but it's hard being self-taught and all ;_;

I actually teach myself at least 3 times a week and have a considerable vocabulary.
Its hard at first to get used to the structures etc.
but once you do its not that hard and very enjoyable.
I plan to visit Japan this time next year so it will be very handy.

Outlawstar said:
I actually teach myself at least 3 times a week and have a considerable vocabulary.

Ownage.

I'm still going through the 4kyuu jukugo, as I foolishy only learned one definition for the entire set. >_>

I plan to visit Japan sometime in the future, although it won't be next year though. =[

Hyaku said:
Outlawstar said:

Ownage.

I'm still going through the 4kyuu jukugo, as I foolishy only learned one definition for the entire set. >_>

I plan to visit Japan sometime in the future, although it won't be next year though. =[

Knowing my spending habits it will be hard to save for a trip next year even though I plan to.
But itll be well worth the wait whether its next year or not.

Outlawstar said:
Hyaku said:
Outlawstar said:

Ownage.

Knowing my spending habits it will be hard to save for a trip next year even though I plan to.
But itll be well worth the wait whether its next year or not.

So, how much of your time in Japan will be spent hunting for pussy? :p

I plan to start learning but i haven't the foggiest where to start. I've got 5 years to learn it before i decide on where i'm moving to :lol:

I have craved learning it but I have little patience for things that I find hard to get. My best mate will be studying it next year because he wants to move to Japan.

I'm attempting to get into university to learn japanese at the moment, but have to wait till next year to try again(got refused since grades where off by 1 =/). Asides from that, been teaching myself since last year, i know my fair share but still not that great when it comes to kanji. I still have a lot to learn though.

I just catch the of word/phrase from watching the animes. I do have a "Japanese Phrases for Dummies" book, but it's more a reference than learning it.

Been interested in the Language for ever so. . .long, i occasionally listen to the 'Japanese Podcast's 101' They are fairly simple for the Language side of it, i do know a few phrases in Kanji, but nothing i can writing down fast, more like a Drawing than Word.

But again, i Recommend 'Japanese Podcast 101'

Usefull Japanese Phrases;

Hello
Konnichiwa
こんにちは

Good morning
Ohayō
おはよう

Good evening
Konbanwa
こんばんは

How are you
O-genki desu ka
お元気ですか

Fine, thank you
Genki desu
元気です

What is your name
O-namae wa nan desu ka
お名前は何ですか

My name is...
Watashi no namae wa (name) desu
私の名前は(name)です

Nice to meet you
Hajimemashite
始めまして

Please (request)
Onegai shimasu
お願いします

Please (offer)
Dōzo
どうぞ

Thank you
Arigatō
ありがとう

You're welcome
Dō itashi mashite
どういたしまして

Yes
Hai
はい

No
Iie
いいえ

Excuse me
Sumimasen
すみません

I'm sorry
Gomen-nasai
御免なさい

Goodbye (long term)
Sayōnara
さようなら

Goodbye (informal)
Sore dewa
それでは

Good night
Oyasuminasai
おやすみなさい

I can't speak Japanese well
Nihongo yoku hanasemasen
日本語「よく」話せません

Do you speak English
Eigo o hanasemasuka
英語を話せますか

I understand
Wakarimasu
わかります

I don't understand
Wakarimasen
わかりません

Do you understand
Wakarimasu ka
わかりますか

Help
Tasukete
たすけて

Look out
Abunai
あぶない

Where is the toilet
Toire wa doko desu ka
トイレはどこですか

Congratulations
Omedeto
おめでとう

Happy birthday
O tanjoubi omedeto
お誕生日おめでとう

Happy New Year
Akemashite omedeto
明けましておめでとう

Have a nice day
Yoi ichinichi wo
よいいちにちを

Good luck
Genki de ne
元気でね

I am hungry
Onaka (ga) suita
おなかがすいた

I am thirsty
Nodo (ga) kawaita
のどがかわいた

I am tired/exhausted
Tsukareta
つかれた

How much is it
Ikura desu ka
いくらですか

Which way is it
Dochira desu ka
どちらですか

What time does it start
Nanji kara hajimarimasu ka
何時から始まりますか

A little
Sukoshi
すこし

I know
Shitte imasu
しっています

I don't know
Shirimasen
しりません

What is it
Kore wa nandesu ka
これはなんですか

What does it mean
Do iu imi desu ka
どういういみですか

Could you say that again please
Mo ichido itte kudasai
もう一度言って下さい

I love you
Ai shiteru
愛している

Foreigner
Gaijin
外人

Woah, thanks a lot Nyu. If possible could also say how to do the Pronunciations of the words.

I Hate how this post sounds/reads.

Jayme said:
Been interested in the Language for ever so. . .long, i occasionally listen to the 'Japanese Podcast's 101' They are fairly simple for the Language side of it, i do know a few phrases in Kanji, but nothing i can writing down fast, more like a Drawing than Word.

But again, i Recommend 'Japanese Podcast 101'

That is a really good podcast, 10 - 15mins long each episode but very informative and your able to get all the right pronuciations. I keep meaning to learn more Japanese, I started and got a few phrases remembered but quickly forgot them.

I also plan to goto Japan once Ive got some money together.

Jayme said:
Woah, thanks a lot Nyu. If possible could also say how to do the Pronunciations of the words.

I Hate how this post sounds/reads.

i'll edit them in when i get some spare time later.

I've been slowly teaching myself for around a year now, and I have lessons every fortnight at my school, which help me along.

The great thing about Japanese is how logically structured it is. If you're into why language works, and not just how, like me, then you'll get along swell with Japanese. For the beginner, it's just a case of learning the sentence structure and then slotting the vocab in. Anime is a great place for vocab :) .

I've been slowly teaching myself for around a year now, and I have lessons every fortnight at my school, which help me along.

The great thing about Japanese is how logically structured it is. If you're into why language works, and not just how, like me, then you'll get along swell with Japanese. For the beginner, it's just a case of learning the sentence structure and then slotting the vocab in. Anime is a great place for vocab :) .

Back