late 80's/90's anime

Dan

Stand User
Hi all,

Was looking for some good mid to late 80's/90's anime. This was the time when it all started for me and I still can't get enough. I tend to like action stuff but not all of it has to be, if its good its good.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some I like/have (apologies if I get the time frames wrong)
Akira
Devilman
Angel Cop
Cyber City Oedo 808
Riding Bean
Ghost in the Shell
Street Fighter II
Red Hawk
Ninja Scroll
Legend of the Dragon Kings
Black Jack (OVA)
AD Police
Megazone 23
Goku Midnight Eye
Battle Angel Alita
Perfect Blue
8 Man After
Vampire Princess Miyu

Oh and I know a lot of people wouldn't consider some/most of this list good but some are guilty pleasures :p

Some Ghibli wouldn't hurt.

And Vampire Hunter D!

Would definitely recommend getting Tenchi Muyo (Ryo-ohki/OVA), and if you're able to find them, the older US Geneon boxes, though Funi has the rights now, they could do a cheap re-release. Project A-Ko might be getting a re-release too I think...

Dragon Ball Kai is just a rehash of a show from 1989-1995, I'd definitely recommend that since it's much shorter, and especially for the dub since it's actually good this time.

Legend of the Dragon Kings?! Man, nostalgia does funny things to people.

My recommendations:

Giant Robo
Bubblegum Crisis
Iria: Zeiram the Animation
Armitage III OVA

GO GO GO!

The Time Traveller said:

And Vampire Hunter D!
.[/i]

Have loads of Ghibli, how could I forget, Castle in the Sky is one of my all time favourites and also have VHD

Cheers

Dan said:
The Time Traveller said:

And Vampire Hunter D!
.[/i]

Have loads of Ghibli, how could I forget, Castle in the Sky is one of my all time favourites and also have VHD

Cheers

Since Play has all the Ghibli and Ghibli related films for like £5 each I ended up getting the 12 titles I was missing from my collection last year, they're all too enjoyable, but the more recent films are just lacking...

So if you're missing any they're real easy to get. Little Norse Prince is from the '60s but there's something amazing about it.

Only Yesterday is definitely one of their best but it's pretty underrated.

And I totally forgot about Magic Knight Rayearth, I only own season one though so I don't really know much about the second but it's pretty cool, it's like a J-RPG only... it's an anime... :X

Some Gundam shows are worth watching buy most of the '80s and '90s titles aren't out in English.

I'm not really sure when Zeta Gundam came out, or Macross, but definitely look 'em up.

Gundam 0080 and 0083 are worthy of the list. The entente would be further improved by the addition of Patlabor and GunBuster.

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Dominion Tank Police
Armored Trooper Votoms
Black Magic M66
Appleseed (OAV)
City Hunter
Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy
California Crisis
Prefectural Earth Defence Force
Demon City Shinjuku
Space Adventure Cobra
Golgo 13: The Professional & Queen Bee
Legend of Galactic Heroes

But seriously, if you have even a passing inclination towards mecha, watch Votoms. The sheer amount of action in it is staggering.

Here are a couple

nadia the secret of Blue water (tv)
tenchi muyo (ova)
evangelion (tv)
bubblegum crisis (ova)
yu yu hakusho (tv)
rourin kenshin (tv)
noir (tv)
fist of the north star (movie)

Nadia is pretty cool but holy crap, the second half of the series... especially the desert island episodes, I think I heard that they were a later addition but Jesus, they're so boring and just plain idiotic.

Turn A Gundam sort of reminds me of it, that Victorian/Industrial looking setting, only with mecha and space ships.

It's getting a US release too, I understand. Hopefully Beez will do the right thing for non-importers and release it as quick as possible.

Some real nice titles on that list (although I'd hesitate at Red Hawk and Legend of the Four Kings ;-) ) 8 Man After... man I've not heard anyone mention that in ages! XD

I will add:

Project A-KO
Roujin Z
Wicked City
Love City/Ai City
Wind of Amnesia

Alien Defender Geo-Armor: Kishin Corps
Blue Sub No. 6
Blue Seed
Doomed Megalopolis
Devil Hunter Yohko
His and Her Circumstances