late 80's/90's anime

Wow theirs a lot for me to research. Not a big mecha fan but do like the odd one of 2

As it turns out i've missed a few more off my list as have some of those or have seen them

Demon City Shinjuku
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop (is their anyone who doesn't like this, if so hand your head in shame :p )
Wind of Amnesia
Doomed Megalopolis
Outlaw Star
Patlabor (Movies/TV/OVA) - Didn't like TV, sorry
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Spriggan The Movie - One of my fav's
Gunsmith Cats
Macross Plus - Still to watch

Cheers for all responses, keep em coming if you can :D

This thread is the king of threads.

Also add El Hazard and Dragon half (although they may not be easy to track down these days) the guyver oavs, cutie honey, 3x3 eyes and no doubt many others I've forgotten

Kaede wrote:
This is without doubt the golden age of anime, Reminds me I still have quite a few to see. *adds Votoms to watch list*

VERY agree.
thirded. I pine for the days before Moe took over!

Thinking of the 80's/90's makes me miss cell animation. Great as clean digital lines are traditional animation had a feeling to it I've rarely seen replicated by it's successor. Putting aside obvious faves like Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion my choices would have to include Macross Plus, Gunbuster, Serial Experiments Lain and most stuff by Yoshiaki Kawajiri.

Mutsumi said:
Kaede said:
This is without doubt the golden age of anime, Reminds me I still have quite a few to see. *adds Votoms to watch list*

VERY agree. :)

80's anime is awesome, and it was the best time for mecha as well, and as much as I love Gundam, I think Votoms just edges it.

Orgun said:
as much as I love Gundam, I think Votoms just edges it.

I think my avatar betrays my thoughts on the matter.

I just found Votoms incredibly easy to get into. It manages to deliver near constant action without dumbing down the slow-burning conspiracy plot running in the background.

Wildcard said:
Thinking of the 80's/90's makes me miss cell animation. Great as clean digital lines are traditional animation had a feeling to it I've rarely seen replicated by it's successor.

I've recently started watching black Lagoon and that's the closest I've seen to that old feeling. I really miss the big features, too many plain faces now. We humans have definition to our faces god dammit :p

Cels were hand drawn so it had a special charm, every little mistake, smudge, dirt or even in some cases reflection (you can sometimes see what I assume is the camera dead in the center of some shots).

Even film grain added a nice texture, when not to extreme.

Animation was more down to Earth, just like models used in film instead of CGI.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Legend of the Dragon Kings?! Man, nostalgia does funny things to people.

Man yeah. I watched Angel Cop a few years back and aside from the first episode it was horrible!

Anyway, something which has bothered me. These days Anime is like coming out in waves each season. Wasn't it the same back in the 80s/early 90s - only that none of it got over here? or was it truly a less common medium. Aside from the old Manga Video stuff, and a mere handful of things I have found since, there is very little about series wise. (the only ones I can think of are Orguss/Macross and co.

The Time Traveller said:
Dan said:
The Time Traveller said:
Some Ghibli wouldn't hurt.

So if you're missing any they're real easy to get. Little Norse Prince is from the '60s but there's something amazing about it.

Try and find Future Boy Conan. I've seen many 90s Anime look worse and it came out in 1978! (Though you may have to *cough* prowl the net *cough* to find it.)

Warmaster said:
The Time Traveller said:
Dan said:
The Time Traveller said:

So if you're missing any they're real easy to get. Little Norse Prince is from the '60s but there's something amazing about it.

Try and find Future Boy Conan. I've seen many 90s Anime look worse and it came out in 1978! (Though you may have to *cough* prowl the net *cough* to find it.)

I was looking at buying it the other day but its only subbed and I like my anime dubbed. Does look good though from the pictures i've seen.

Oh and watch what you say about Angel Cop, haha. Your right its terrible but I love it :lol:

Dan said:
Warmaster said:
The Time Traveller said:
Dan said:
The Time Traveller said:

I was looking at buying it the other day but its only subbed and I like my anime dubbed. Does look good though from the pictures i've seen.

Oh and watch what you say about Angel Cop, haha. Your right its terrible but I love it :lol:

I'm a dubber too, when I can find them, but Future Boy Conan doesn't have that option. Which is annoying considering they dubbed rubbish like Angel Cop :p

Whoa, am I missing something? Did Future Boy Conan get a UK release or something? I must be reading it wrong...

And c'mooooon, they're Japanese shows, you gotta see em in Japanese.

The Time Traveller said:
Whoa, am I missing something? Did Future Boy Conan get a UK release or something? I must be reading it wrong...

And c'mooooon, they're Japanese shows, you gotta see em in Japanese.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. I meant 'there is no option to see FBC dubbed' i.e it has never been released over here.

As for sub/dub. Each to their own. I'm personally with Miyazaki on this one, in that he wants people to watch the films, not the subtitles. Believe me I've watched a huge amount of anime subbed, probably the majority, and I like it. But when I can, I like a good dub as I often watch things while on the computer or typing, and subs don't really work there :p

As for the topic, the trouble was, hardly any of the 80s/early 90s dubs were good!

Some great suggestions already made. My main recommendation based on what you've seen is Hokuto no Ken.

It's pretty much the epitome of violent shounen (well, aside from Devilman).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n371zCCYpts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bM1rhIVaA

Other great anime:

GaoGaiGar
Devilman Lady
Martian Successor Nadesico
The Slayers
Gunbuster
Bubblegum Crisis
Vision of Escaflowne
Cardcaptor Sakura
Gunsmith Cats
Trigun
Those Who Hunt Elves
Cowboy Bebop
Burn Up! Excess
Big O

ilmaestro said:
Reaper gI said:
I find the lack of magical girls appalling.
Have to be fair, I read the list of shows he liked and instantly ruled out recommending any mahou shoujo stuff.
He'd like Cutie Honey by the sound of things.

Back