Lady Snowblood

Kaede

Adventurer
Can anyone tell me what the dealio is with this series of manga? I fancy checking it out as it's supposedly the inspiration for Tarantino's Kill Bill.

I can only find 4 volumes which confusingly seem to be numbered:

vol.1
vol. 2,
lady snowblood: Retribution vol. 2
lady snowblood: Retribution vol. 3

Book depository link to all four: (Click)

mangaman74 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Snowblood#Volumes

Both the manga and the 973 live action film are listed as being the inspiration behind Kill Bill.

Yeah, the look of Lucy Liu's character is reminiscent of Lady Snowblood and they played the theme song by Meiko Kaji at the very end.

That last stretch was probablt the best part of the two films put together, in my opinion.

mangaman74 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Snowblood#Volumes

There are only 4 volumes of manga released in English. There are also some live action films - the first film was made in 1973 with a sequel dated 1974 . There is also a sci-fi remake dated 2001.

Both the manga and the 973 live action film are listed as being the inspiration behind Kill Bill.

Ah!! I was confused by The Book Depository's numbering system. So, all four volumes are available in English and this is the complete story right? (It seems so from the wiki link you provide).

Yep that's it, cheers for helping out.

Vol 1 & 2 seem to be under one title, then Vol 3 & 4 another. The Wiki link sums up everything including the ending (!) so that seems to be everything. I can't be dealing with never-ending or unfinished manga.

Gonna order my last Nausicaa volumes and the first two of this. : )

It's been said but may as well chip in to say it's definitely 4 volumes (I have them innit).

The first film's cool. Heard mixed things about the second one so kind of skipped it.

Kaede - Once you've checked out the Manga, fancy popping back in and saying what they were like? please? :) I'm a massive fan of the first Lady Snowblood film [second..eh..not so much] so the Manga has always held some sort of interest with me.

I highly recommend seeing the film, tis beautiful.

Dannielle said:
Kaede - Once you've checked out the Manga, fancy popping back in and saying what they were like? please? :) I'm a massive fan of the first Lady Snowblood film [second..eh..not so much] so the Manga has always held some sort of interest with me.

I highly recommend seeing the film, tis beautiful.

Hi Danielle, I got volume 1 on Saturday and I've only just got round to finishing the first chapter.

So far, it's not so great. The translation seems quite bad and over complicated. However, I think this is down to the fact the original Japanese dialogue was heavy on honorifics and customs.

The artwork is nice in places, very 70's.....in other places, not great. Especially by modern standards. A quick flick through seems to indicate that pretty much every chapter involves Snowblood or some poor female being attacked. Although not too graphic, I find it quite distasteful.

I'll get back to you when I've read more. I'll still check out the film though as it sounds good.

Kaede said:
A quick flick through seems to indicate that pretty much every chapter involves Snowblood or some poor female being attacked. Although not too graphic, I find it quite distasteful.
It's Kazuo Koike. Pretty much everything I've read of his has this kind of content be it Lone Wolf and Cub or Crying Freeman. ^^;

Back