Kill The Series

Nemphtis

Hunter
There are many games where I have at some point sat back on my comfortable chair and said "Wow, these guys are really milking the franchise." Which video game series would you like to see end, and why. I'll start things off in case some of you aren't sure how to respond:

Pokemon

I'd like to see the Pokemon games end because ever since the release of Red/Blue to the present day Diamond/Crystal barely anything has changed except for the visuals. Each game simply gives you new ridiculous looking Pokemon, and a new island to explore with your adventure.

The story is very basic and the premise is always the same, level up your Pokemanz to beat Gym Leaders and pwn everyone. The biggest update in the Pokemon series to this day is the fact that you can now play and trade using Wi-Fi on the Nintendo DS. Aside from this, you're playing the same game with a new coat of paint, and I believe if they haven't come up with anything fresh since Pokemon Red/Blue then it should be killed and buried some place where nobody will find it again.

If it sells well why give up on it?

Like this series...

Final Fantasy

Reason? Fan base, enough said. No further detail needed.

Well this isn't a topic about games that sell well, it's a topic about games you're sick of seeing since nothing has changed much since the last game you played from that franchise.

I was going to list Final Fantasy but at least they come up with something different each time, but I do hate the spin-offs they make from old games etc. At least they re-created Final Fantasy III for the DS to have new graphics, music and slighter better character development. Pokemon seemed less original than Final Fantasy so it took much higher priority to mention.

Yes, but Pokémon is the SECOND biggest gaming franchise in the world, I doubt Nintendo are just gonna stop, even if they just do "New pokémon, new location, new trainer appearences." each game. Just saying however. ;/

from what we know, Hideo Kojima was planning to finish the series with MGS4, so it is coming to an end i think.

Series i would like to see come to an end, well, maybe stop milking FFVII for all its worth. ok it was good(i don't think its absolutely amazing like everyone does) but the sequels, prequels and such added to the series have made it a little less interesting.

The Tony Hawk series. Haven't seen a decent title since THPS4, they might as well have renamed it Jackass: The Game after that.

i would like to see the grand theft auto series finished, (awaits a ton of fanboys to flame me)
seriously though, the game is the same old **** over and over,
kill this dude, do that, jack this.
i personally find the game tiring and boring.
(although gta4 looks somewhat decent....)

Pretty much every MMORPG ever made. They are all the same. Do run all the way over here to do this thing and report back to me.

Not saying I want them all to die though.

Lupus Inu said:

Like this series...

Final Fantasy

FF? Seriously? Dude, if you think FF is the series that's most run stale or out of ideas, then you obviously haven't been playing enough games!

Ninja Boy! said:
i would like to see the grand theft auto series finished, (awaits a ton of fanboys to flame me)
seriously though, the game is the same old **** over and over,
kill this dude, do that, jack this.
i personally find the game tiring and boring.
(although gta4 looks somewhat decent....)

i agree, i really have found GTA to be getting increasingly boring. San Andreas for example, map was way to big, missions weren't great, and it was just the same old thing all over again.

MARIO

Game dev. - "Italian Plummer with mustache?"
Nintendo - "I smell super-hero!"
Game dev. - "and he eats magic mushrooms to gain wacky powers?"
Nintendo - "Awesome!"
Game dev. - "and...and his arch-nemesis can be a mutant turtle?"
Nintendo - "Someone get me my check book!"

CitizenGeek said:
Lupus Inu said:

Like this series...

Final Fantasy

FF? Seriously? Dude, if you think FF is the series that's most run stale or out of ideas, then you obviously haven't been playing enough games!

All the characters are the same every game, they just put new character designs on them, plus it deserves to be stopped with these ****** spin-offs. [Except Dissidia which looks ok.]

Pokemon just needs to be redesigned I get bored of them simply beacuse its always the same, travel towns collect and fight, but the map mever seems to change really. It'd be good if it had a movie style theme to the game where you collected the pokemon but instead of gyms you fought for something else or someone else.

FF is in no ways old, if it was the same characters I could see you point but every game has different characters, set in different world, has different play set ups and rules.

McIcy said:
FF is in no ways old, if it was the same characters I could see you point but every game has different characters, set in different world, has different play set ups and rules.
Considering that it stole a lot of concepts from Dragon Quest, I think it deserves to end, and apparently FF 13 is the last Final Fantasy. [Bull ****.]

Lupus Inu said:
McIcy said:
Considering that it stole a lot of concepts from Dragon Quest, I think it deserves to end, and apparently FF 13 is the last Final Fantasy. [Bull ****.]

If I had to guess, and that's pretty much all I do;

The hype died down after FF-X quietened down, as you never really heard anyone talking about the games as much, whereas the situation in my primary school was the constant, daily conversational game-gasms of about how FFVII & FFVIII kicked so much ass.

Tidus was totally gay btw; he killed the heartless badass reputation that the previos protagonists had.

IMHO, of course.

Motoko said:
Lupus Inu said:
McIcy said:

If I had to guess, and that's pretty much all I do;

The hype died down after FF-X quietened down, as you never really heard anyone talking about the games as much, whereas the situation in my primary school was the constant, daily conversational game-gasms of about how FFVII & FFVIII kicked so much ass.

Tidus was totally gay btw; he killed the heartless badass reputation that the previos protagonists had.

IMHO, of course.

FFXII
Was advertised a lot on tv the friday night show had 10 copies that you could win number1 in the titles for months,a big event in at GAME with 10/10 from a lot of game review sites.
No it was pretty big.

If your gonna kill of any series kill of romance of the three kingdoms it's already on it's 11th.They never change anything it's the same thing over and over with slightly better character models and graphics.

Lupus Inu said:
CitizenGeek said:
Lupus Inu said:

Like this series...

Final Fantasy

All the characters are the same every game, they just put new character designs on them, plus it deserves to be stopped with these ****** spin-offs. [Except Dissidia which looks ok.]

Nonsense! I'm sorry, but that is just nonsense! The characters are always distinctly different! The only thing that's common is that they are usually orphens, and lead characters are always male.

The spin-off haters are ridiculous! I mean wtf? Why are you 'hating on' the spin-offs? No one forces you to play them, Square Enix aren't taking the focus off it's core games for spin-offs - what's the big issue?

Motoko said:
The hype died down after FF-X quietened down

Like MTW already said, there was ots of hype around FFXII. And the game topped the UK charts for 2 weeks. FFX, on the other hand, only topped the charts for one week. FFXII sold 90,000 in the UK in about 4 days, which is the highest opening for any Final Fantasy in the UK ever. So, your theory, unforetunately for you, doesn't hold too much salt!

Back