Kid gets marks in exam for writing 'f--- off'

Sy

Time-Traveller
LONDON (Reuters) - A student who scribbled an expletive on an English language exam paper was awarded 7.5 percent for accurate spelling and effective communication, The Times newspaper reported on Monday.
(Advertisement)

The pupil, who wrote "f--- off" after being asked in an English exam to "describe the room you are sitting in", got 2 marks out of 27 and would have got more if he had added some punctuation, chief examiner Peter Buckroyd told The Times.

"It does show some very basic skills we are looking for -- like conveying some meaning and some spelling," said Buckroyd, who works for the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance examinations board. "It shows some nominal skills but no relevance to the task".

"If it had had an exclamation mark it would have got a little bit more because it would have been showing a little bit of skill".

According to The Times, to gain minimum marks in English GSCE papers -- an exam taken by hundreds of thousands of 16-year-olds across England every year -- pupils must demonstrate "some simple sequencing of ideas" and an ability to put "some words in appropriate order".

Original link.

*facepalm* Has the educational system really dropped so far below the bar that they will actually give people marks for things like this. The dumbing down of the UK is almost complete, the fact that they decided to give him any marks at all pretty much proves it. *sigh*

Tachi- said:
Okay my I.T exams are in september, :twisted:

Make sure it is extra marks for correct spelling don't wanna put "how do you input digital data into a computer" "**** of"

Otaku-san said:
Gacha said:
Tachi- said:
Okay my I.T exams are in september, :twisted:

Make sure it is extra marks for correct spelling don't wanna put "how do you input digital data into a computer" "**** of"

Spelling mistake on the 'off' minus 2 pionts

:lol:

More like "how do you input digital data into a computer"
**** off. I know how to do it, how about you smart ass? Tell me how the hell you'd do it and i'll tell you if it's right, failure to reply with a plausable answer will result in 0 marks and you will be announced a Epic Failure!"

Tch, reminds me of my Art exam. One guy failed at drawing and gave up in the exam (which was to sketch Art equipment). He drew one rectangle which was supposed to represent a tube of glue and left it at that. Yet he got 2 or so marks for spelling his name correctly. The ONLY marks he got from that exam were from that O_O.

Deidara said:
Tch, reminds me of my Art exam. One guy failed at drawing and gave up in the exam (which was to sketch Art equipment). He drew one rectangle which was supposed to represent a tube of glue and left it at that. Yet he got 2 or so marks for spelling his name correctly. The ONLY marks he got from that exam were from that O_O.

Yeah, thought everyone knew you get upto 4 marks for writing your name and any other relevant information....the date....the courses name...your teachers name...and you own name. easiest marks in art EVER.

Also reminds me of something a friend told me. We had an R.E paper and someone wrote "I'm a fish" and nothing else. He got marks because people believed we evolved from fish.
*facepalm*

Kezwick_Osaka said:
Also reminds me of something a friend told me. We had an R.E paper and someone wrote "I'm a fish" and nothing else. He got marks because people believed we evolved from fish.
*facepalm*

That souns like something of Red Dwarf... :lol:

Things like this don't surprise me, when it says about extra marks i wonder if they meant adding the "!" at the end. It's just so stupid...

BlackWolf said:
Kezwick_Osaka said:
*facepalm*

That souns like something of Red Dwarf... :lol:

Things like this don't surprise me, when it says about extra marks i wonder if they meant adding the "!" at the end. It's just so stupid...

On my R.E exam we were all told there's 4 hidden marks in the paper.
i couldnt find them anywhere :wink: but seriously, where the hell do the markers get off with this whole 'hidden marks you didn't know you could get' B.S??

Kezwick_Osaka said:

Well... we did evolve from fish. Although isn't evolution a little radical for an RE exam?

I'm fairly non-plussed about the whole thing, our education system is crap anyway - telling an examiner to **** off deserves a few more marks than that in my book.

ayase said:
Kezwick_Osaka said:

Well... we did evolve from fish. Although isn't evolution a little radical for an RE exam?

I'm fairly non-plussed about the whole thing, our education system is crap anyway - telling an examiner to **** off deserves a few more marks than that in my book.

You should get marks for having the gall-- or the balls, to write such slander in a proper examination.

ayase said:
Kezwick_Osaka said:

Well, in R.E we were learning about the contrasts between religious and scientific beliefs about where we came from. Y'know, the Big Bang vs Universe Created by God discussion.

Gacha said:
http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=4f1456031fcc05a3afaf
These people do not believe that!
What the hell am I doing here.... Evolution is impossible after all!!! =P

Once in a law exam I answered one of the questions (about legal precedent and to what extent it was useful) by writing down a 4 page rant on how judges were all old, insane, dribbling idiots who deserved to be taken out behind the potting shed and put down before they put any more lunacy into UK law than already existed.

Apparently I passed because I mentioned comedically bad cases as examples. Go figure.

Just about beats out the politics exam where every answer included at least one catchphrase from wrestling, and also the one where an entire answer was based solely off Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex and its comparison to The Domino Theory.

What can I say, give me an essay to write and you might not get something that's correct, but you'll generally get something I found entertaining to write.

Back