Keanu Reeves working on live action Cowboy Bebop movie

It probably would work better. As much as I like certain actors, such as Bale, I've seen all the Hollywood big names far too much and no longer see the character they play, only themselves. If someone unknown had been selected to play Spike then it would've at least let me see the character and not the big name Hollywood star.

"LOLz Dakota Fanning as ED & vin diesel as Jet, srsly they'd be amaze..."

Naw, i dunno who could be onh the cast...
Tania Raymonde - Faye
That's all i really can think of.

After a friend linking me the IMDb page of the upcoming Chun-Li movie, I was surprised to see Kirsten Kreuk was playing Chun-Li. So now, I can't get it out of my head that she would be a good fit for Faye...

...even if she isn't.

Lelouch said:
mmm, not sure about Dakota fanning, but vin Diesel could be an interesting Jet.

Jayme said:
After a friend linking me the IMDb page of the upcoming Chun-Li movie, I was surprised to see Kirsten Kreuk was playing Chun-Li. So now, I can't get it out of my head that she would be a good fit for Faye...

...even if she isn't.
Chun Li movie? that's going to be terrible. I'm sure I'll love it =D

chaos said:
Lelouch said:

Jayme said:

...even if she isn't.

I've heard that they'll use the Chun Li movie to kick start a possible Street Fighter movie franchise, with the next focusing on the duo of Ryu and Ken :p

BlackWolf said:
chaos said:
Lelouch said:

Jayme said:

...even if she isn't.

I've heard that they'll use the Chun Li movie to kick start a possible Street Fighter movie franchise, with the next focusing on the duo of Ryu and Ken :p
That would be awesome if they manage to erase the Van Damme street fighter movie from my mind...
I'm missing some good fighting movies...

CitizenGeek said:
I think Dakota Fanning as Ed is a good idea, actually. Vin Diesel as Jet also makes sense. I think Lelouch should be in charge of casting on this movie :p

While they're at it, they should also cast Van Damme as Spike and Bolo Yeung as Vicious to give it even more of a b-movie edge.

Well it's not as though Spike shows a great amount of emotion in the series anyway (except from when he's annoyed), so the idea of Keanu playing as him isn't terrible. I'm still curious about the hair though.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Well it's not as though Spike shows a great amount of emotion in the series anyway (except from when he's annoyed), so the idea of Keanu playing as him isn't terrible. I'm still curious about the hair though.
It's not so much emotion but that Keanu Reeves moves on film like a plank of wood with a face drawn on or like in those old cutscenes on old Playstation games. It doesn't look natural.

Spike shows a lot of emotions. For example, I can't imagine Keanu pulling off Spike's surprised face/voice, just like I can't imagine him looking natural with a smile on his face for most of the film when he naturally looks (and sounds) depressed. The only part of Spike I can imagine Keanu handling decently is the martial arts side - he had a lot of practice when he made the Matrix films, so it shouldn't be too difficult for him to throw around punches and kicks without looking silly...but if the only plus for the lead actor is the ability to punch/kick then they might as well have hired a martial arts expert instead.

By the way, about Bolo Yeung: he's played many evil characters in martial art flicks, usually being paired up with Van Damme. Since he'd probably have grey hair now and still has an evil auro about him, he wouldn't be the worst choice imaginable for Vicious if this really was a b-movie and Van Damme got picked as Spike.

In terms of the anime/manga industry, I think movie adaptations such as this are a good thing. Regardless of the quality of the movies, the more exposure to anime franchises in the west means more recognition and hopefully more revenue.

Even if Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball Z, Akira and Ghost in the Shell turn out to be terrible live action films, it wont make the originals any better or worse, people will just say 'hmph, the anime/manga is better', in the same way that people say 'the book is better'.

I'm cautiously optimistic considering Reeves is an anime fan himself, so hopefully, assuming he's seen it all and knows his stuff reasonably well, he won't let it spiral into an un-salvageable mess.

I've always had support for Keanu and i'm sure he could do it. I mean, he did Lake House and that's a romance....albeit a painful longing kind of romance, but he does have emotion. Perhaps he's just typecast to roles that involve no facial muscles.
However,... Spike is a long shot, but i'd be interested in how he does it. They all just seem so out of reach that no one could possibly match them. Ron Perlman is a good shot for Jet. I am seriously going to think about this though. It's driving me nuts that i can't even remotely match ED.

Depp, no matter how amazing that one character he acts is, it's still one character. As for that character being Spike... He'll guarantee a greenlight and a big box office revenue but I don't think would opt for this without Burton or Disney. Depp is probably my favourite actor, though. He'd make me want to see a movie because of him [and that is stardom.][/quote]
Depp makes a point of playing oddball characters, multiple oddball characters. while they're all strange, they're strange in different ways. He's a very skilled actor and would better fit the personality of Spike but I too feel he might make things a little too weird, especially by his performance on charlie and the chocolate factory.

As for Reeves... I'm worried that when he smiles, as spike does quite often, it'll look like the Moment in Adams family values when Wednesday smiled... just weird.

Back