K-ON! and Tears to Tiara

Otaku-san

Chuunibyou
so i noticed with a RSS feed that theres' fansubs for

K-ON!
another Kyoani piece on a comedy/music based genre centered around 4 girls joining the music club to avoid it getting abolished
K-On%21_manga_volume_1_cover.jpg

and

Tears to Tiara
based on the visual novel by leaf of the same name, which has some romantic sentimentally to it
Tears_to_Tiara.jpg

any interest?[/list]

I got an Azumanga/Haruhi vibe from K-ON's description so I watched the first episode. Unfortunately it's nowhere near as funny or clever as those two series but it does have its moments. It's obviously designed to appeal to a certain subset of fandom, and that subset does not include me, yet I like it enough to watch one more episode. Cool ending sequence, too.

K-ON! just annoys me in certain ways... I'm pretty sure they traded the size of their hands for the size of their eyes.

It basically feels like 'Beck with cutesy eyes' and it really annoys me, especially when a lot of the character annoys me except Mio and Tsumugi. However, the ED is very addicting.

I've watched the first episode K-ON, I found it quite funny and cute, although I would agree that some of the characters are a little annoying. In some ways the characters and atmosphere remind me a bit of Hidamari Sketch, so I think I'll stick with it for now and see where it goes.
What did you make of Tears to Tiara Otaku-san? Worth a look?

Hah, just watched the first ep of K-ON! and my sentiments are pretty similar to everyone else's!

It's <i>this close</i> to my line of tolerance for sickeningly cute and annoying crap, but at the same time it just somehow seems like a pretty fun show to watch. Mio seems the best character if I was making snap early judgements.

Like the OP and ED, too, which hasn't been the case with the other shows I've watched so far from this season.

@panda z

Well tears to Tiara is pretty decent so far, it's based on a VN so it should be to your liking, has quite a decent bit of action to

Shockingly, that's one of only a million reasons why I don't bother with places like MAL or... er... "a certain image board". Unless I have something, um, specific that I'm looking for.

RetroRainbow said:
I think I would like Mio far more, if her fanbase wasn't so bizarrely over the top. She has 429 favorites on MAL, and we're only three episodes in. It's all circlejerking, really. Especially on a certain image board. Her fans are weirdly obsessive, and 1/4 of the fanart in places like pixiv consists of her.

I agree some of the people are so OTT and retarded bout Mio,because one says the other must follow, but geez there's not an ounce to what those guys say

RetroRainbow said:
I think I would like Mio far more, if her fanbase wasn't so bizarrely over the top.
Aww, but that's not Mio's fault. I guess it's a combination of her attractive design, poise + unexpected shyness, and the outfit she wears in the ED. An explosive combination for otaku. I really like her myself but would stop some way short of adding her to my favourite character list...

Three episodes in and I'm still enjoying this show. My favourite moment so far was when Yui played her guitar through an amp for the first time. I remember that feeling!

Watching K-On has inspired me to take up the guitar again :)

Loving the latest tears to tiara is the bad guy a bad guy, i can't wait to see more

Anyone watched episode 5 of K-On? I didnt see that coming in regards to the teacher...spoilers ahead if you havent watched it yet!

It was especially funny when she started the speed picking, speed tapping and then the teeth tapping

Last edited by a moderator:
They've made the figures out of recognisable Lego bricks as well! I myself feel too many original pieces are being introduced to the Lego catalogue- certain models nowadays feature parts custom built for them, going against the principle that a smaller range of brick designs is sufficient.

I loved K-On, everytime I watched it I wanted to pick up my Bass and practice, I even have the song as the closing credits as my alarm clock ringtone

Aw, I'll admit I'm only up to episode six of this still, but it's so much more amusing than stuff like Lucky Star. I know what you mean about the concert scenes (although I've only seen one so far), but the characters seem so much more likeable than the usual fare.

Ah yeah, I've watched a few more eps now and was super excited when Azusa joined. But as you say, they don't really seem to be following through on it.

I still like Mio, though. :(

I stopped watching K-ON at episode 4, or maybe 5. By that point it'd become abundantly clear that the whole music thing was going nowhere interesting, and it's not as though the comedy was side-splittingly hilarious either. I'd get a much more rewarding experience alternating episodes of Beck and Strawberry Marshmallow.

Back