Jury Duty

Muu_Puklip said:
Would you include theft in your definition of aggression? Burglary? Fraud? Destruction of property? I am guessing not.
You didn't read the link on the non-aggression principle did you? Yes, I would in fact include all of those things as aggression against a person (though fraud would be somewhat grey, depends on the circumstances). However we're not talking about the crimes the defendants in a trial may have committed anyway, we're talking about the act of forcing jury duty on people.

Muu_Puklip said:
In the real world most everyone that wants to get out of jury service does get out of it and without consequence. The 'threat' from the state to enforce cooperation and service is really no such thing. It is a tool to prod and cajole, much like a parent might make mock threats to their child to get them to behave.
Well thanks for clearing that up. How pointless was the last page of conversation then, with all its dire warnings like "you could expect to suffer"? The idea that some adults should have the power to treat other adults like children is exactly what horrifies me.

Muu_Puklip said:
You really need to distinguish between the world as it is and the world as you would like it to be Ayase.

Who cares? That's what we have, and however broken that's what we are going to carry on having until Parliament sees fit to change it.
So I shouldn't believe there's a better way of doing things or fight for that if the opportunity arises, and instead keep my head down and allow the world to remain the way it is unless our rulers see fit to change it? Who cares? I care, about doing what I believe is right despite the potential consequences. And if necessary, against the wishes of a democratically elected government because I believe in individual sovereignty.

Oh. How disappointing.

Ayase. I shall be blunt now. Your problem here is one of ignorance. You need to spend some time reading around the subject at hand.

The law as it stands does distinguish between property and the person. Your definition is weaker and less useful.

The last page of conversation was 'useless' because you were not distinguishing between the world as you would like it to be and the world as it is. You received the warnings about not taking the mickey out of the courts because you appeared (and still do) to be unable to distinguish between not wanting to co-operate and behaving in a manner that remains within the 'rules' to avoid causing problems for yourself and others, and not wanting to co-operate and behaving like a fool. I am sure most people who read the OP would be of the opinion that what was asked for was practical advice on what to expect and how to behave, not impractical discussion about hypothetically insulting the intelligence of a judge with nonsense about Derren Brown. If any time has been wasted in pointless discussion then the responsibility for that lies squarely with you.

Sucks to be you to be so full of fear that an adult might treat you like a child. Get over it.

If you genuinely want to change the legal system then work at it properly. Posting flippant comments that carry more than a tinge of ignorance about them on a manga and anime related forum won't be of much help to you in achieving that aim. Spending some time in the library will.

Fear and ignorance? You're having a good jab at my buttons there, but ad hominem attacks are not something I rise to any more. You have yet to learn my idiosyncrasies, so I'll let you mistake irreverence for ignorance. Bravery and foolishness... Fine line. Up to each to judge for themselves. Your opinion on that one is just as valid as mine. I do quite enjoy reading though and am already a member of my local library, thanks.

The OP was a while ago now and the thread outran it's usefulness some time ago. Besides, I imagine Maxon is quite enjoying this. We haven't had many heated discussions since the forum's been so quiet. I'm just trying to make conversation, this is how normal people talk, right? You didn't enjoy the impractical discussion about hypothetically insulting the intelligence of a judge with nonsense about Derren Brown? Seriously? That was the climax! It's definitely time to call it quits now because it's not gonna get that good again.

MaxonTreik said:
ayase said:
Besides, I imagine Maxon is quite enjoying this. We haven't had many heated discussions since the forum's been so quiet.
Heh. It actually almost makes me miss CitizenGeek.
You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

I miss Aion more, but I get the feeling less than a third of the new member intake would have survived if he was still around. I'll never be half the final boss either of those guys were.

ayase said:
MaxonTreik said:
ayase said:
Besides, I imagine Maxon is quite enjoying this. We haven't had many heated discussions since the forum's been so quiet.
Heh. It actually almost makes me miss CitizenGeek.
You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

I miss Aion more, but I get the feeling less than a third of the new member intake would have survived if he was still around. I'll never be half the final boss either of those guys were.

Does anyone miss the once-infamous Unellmay though?

Or DeathNote_Holder? Christ, you're bringing back memories now Mutsu. Back in the days of Paul as absent admin when "justice" was meted out by heading up to the mill with pitchforks and torches, before sheriff Rui rode into town to keep the peace. :p

Of course for all we know, any of these users could have simply created new identities and continued to walk among us...

I was on Jury Duty back in '09 and it was a horrible, confusing flustercuck that made me wonder if any justice was ever dispensed.

First day, I had no clue what was going on and I ended up lost and panicking that I'd end up being in deep **** for not knowing where to go.

Then the rest of the days were no gos that lead to a grand total of nowhere.

A quick update on the situation.

I just got back from court. I didn't get picked for the jury panel, so I got to go home. I was bored out of my skull sitting in the waiting room. When we got taken to the court room there were not enough seats for every potential juror, even when the jury panel had been selected and left the rest of us. Oh well. I got out of it like I hoped I would. I usually have bad luck with these things so I was very relieved.

saved you the gory details of someone shoplifting, or accounts of bloody murder using a chisel and posting it on facebook.

Aww facebook, it's like Africa. Which is God's Continent, and he can keep it.

Back