Jury Duty

MaxonTreik

Chuunibyou
I just got a letter in the post which was a "Notice of Selection for Potential Jury Service". I've never done it before so this was a bit of a surprise, though I did know it would happen one day.

Has anyone done jury duty before? What was your experience like? Is there anything to keep in mind?

Answers from fellow Scots would be preferable due to some laws up here being a little different but answers from anyone who has experienced it are welcome.

I haven't done it before, but here's some advice: Do not talk about the case at all outside of jury duty. Don't bring it up with friends, family and definitely do not do what one woman did and post details of the case on Facebook to ask you friends to help you choose your verdict.
I highly doubt you won't abide by confidentiality, but just thought I'd put it out there just in case.

Oh and don't sleep with the defendant either. Pretty sure I read about someone doing that once too.

No advice for you I'm afraid Maxon - My uncle did jury duty a few years back and said it wasn't a nice experience at all, but it was a pretty heavy case I think. Probably easier if it's theft or fraud, but details of rape or murder can't be much fun to listen to with the alleged victims and perpetrators in the room.

I would make a terrible juror, due to not really believing in the legitimacy of our justice system. I wonder if that's a valid get-out clause?

animefreak17 said:
I think my dad did it before meeting my mum.
What was it like for him?

Joshawott said:
I haven't done it before, but here's some advice: Do not talk about the case at all outside of jury duty. Don't bring it up with friends, family and definitely do not do what one woman did and post details of the case on Facebook to ask you friends to help you choose your verdict.
I highly doubt you won't abide by confidentiality, but just thought I'd put it out there just in case.

Oh and don't sleep with the defendant either. Pretty sure I read about someone doing that once too.
Is recreating 12 Angry Men an option? Okay, in Scotland the verdict doesn't have to be unanimous and can be decided by majority vote, but it's something I can think about.

ayase said:
No advice for you I'm afraid Maxon - My uncle did jury duty a few years back and said it wasn't a nice experience at all, but it was a pretty heavy case I think. Probably easier if it's theft or fraud, but details of rape or murder can't be much fun to listen to with the alleged victims and perpetrators in the room.

I would make a terrible juror, due to not really believing in the legitimacy of our justice system. I wonder if that's a valid get-out clause?
Yeah, chances are it's a serious case and I'll have to hear some disconcerting stuff. I hope I get lucky and it's just a civil case.

MaxonTreik said:
Is recreating 12 Angry Men an option? Okay, in Scotland the verdict doesn't have to be unanimous and can be decided by majority vote, but it's something I can think about.
Dare you to try it.

MaxonTreik said:
Has anyone done jury duty before? What was your experience like? Is there anything to keep in mind?

Answers from fellow Scots would be preferable due to some laws up here being a little different but answers from anyone who has experienced it are welcome.

I have. It's a lot of waiting around doing nothing, and then sitting in the court while the defendant decides if they don't like the look of you and wants to reject you from the jury (it's a selection of 12 from 15 in England. Probably the same in Scotland, I cba to check though) and then if you don't get selected it's a bunch more waiting around until you get sent home if there are no more cases for the day.

If you do get selected for a jury the experience can be anything from hilarious, to disappointment in your fellow human beings, to shocking, intimidating, or even so dull you may have trouble staying awake. I had to elbow an old guy sitting next to me in the jury box in the ribs to stop him falling asleep once. He thanked me for it too. Neither one of us wanted to have the judge angry at us!

The food available to buy in and around the court may be rubbish. Be prepared to take your own sandwiches if the food is terrible on the first day.

Be very careful who you talk to around the court buildings. The person who you meet in the corridor or over the road in the pub who seems very nice may be one of the witnesses or even the defendant in the case you are a juror for. You can have simple conversations like giving directions to get from A to B but you must not say anything about the case and you must not let others say anything to you about it as it might end up with you in hot water with the judge.

What goes on in the jury room is mostly moaning about how bad the food is, moaning about the court being too hot, too cold, too airless, and a bunch of chatter about how you all have to act like you are doing things properly. XD Seriously though, do make the effort to read through any paperwork you are given and do stick to your guns if you know you are right when you are in the jury room discussions.

One last thing. Scotland has the 'Not Proven' verdict which England does not. There's no difference between the 'Not guilty' and 'Not proven' verdicts though. Literally. They have exactly the same results and legal consequences. If anyone in the jury room tries to tell you different then send a note via the court clerk asking the judge to explain it to the jury. Same goes for ANY point of law or any point of contention or matter where there may be a conflict between what the defendant or other juror believes the law or situation is and what the letter of the law actually is. You don't need to take anyone's word for anything like that, you can get the judge to explain.

Oh, and keep your fingers crossed you don't end up on a case that lasts for ages. After two weeks of jury duty most everyone has had enough of it. You'll probably see plenty of people trying to get out of it with all manner of excuses while you are there too. Judge for yourself what that says about everyday attitudes to justice. ;)

Joshawott said:

Are you sure that wasn't just an episode of 'Peep Show'? :p

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Joshawott said:

No, it's happened in real life too. People have tracked down defendants via things like Faceook and y'know...

Joshawott said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Joshawott said:

No, it's happened in real life too. People have tracked down defendants via things like Faceook and y'know...

yeah, you should really stay completely away from social media during your tenure on the Jury. seriously, it's the easiest way to avoid being found in contempt.

I wasn't sure exactly what contempt entailed so I looked it up - So the government can legally force you into a situation where you have to do what they say and can actually take you and imprison you for refusing? Horrifying.

I mean I know that's the situation we're living in every day of our lives, but that's one of those things that really brings it home. It's like conscription or something.

Having been on the other side, as it were, (I was a court clerk for 4 years) I've seen most of the jury no-nos - people using phones or walkmans, chatting, sleeping, etc... and dealt with 'nobbled' jurors who accidentally (or deliberately) talked to a witness or defendant. The penalty for 'contempt' ranges from a stern talking to in the judges' chambers to a hefty fine and (in theory) imprisonment, thought that is actually very rare.

As other have advised, if you are selected: pay attention, take notes, ask for clarification if needed and make up your own mind about the guilt or otherwise of the defendant and be prepared to argue/defend your opinion.

Spoonmage said:
contempt of court can take many forms, not just refusing to do jury duty. I don't see why anyone would refuse though.
They might not agree with the law which is being enforced and consider those who wrote and enforce the laws to have done so without their consent. Why should someone be expected (under threat of force) to condemn or absolve another according to a code of morality which is not their own?

because morality is not what is being decided. the jury is there to decide purely on the facts about whether a person is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. the possibility of jury duty is one of the prices we pay for living in british society.

Spoonmage said:
because morality is not what is being decided. the jury is there to decide purely on the facts about whether a person is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt.
...of something deemed a crime according to a particular moral code determined by people other than yourself.

Spoonmage said:
the possibility of jury duty is one of the prices we pay for living in british society.
Can I live in the area of the Earth's surface which has been arbitrarily determined as "Britain" and opt out of British society? No. Can I freely leave and live in another society whose laws I agree with? No. Can I start my own society and determine my own laws? No. I suppose it could be considered the price we pay, in the way you could consider the price you pay for being mugged the amount of money taken from your wallet.

Both my parents have done jury duty. My mum did a rape case and my dad did a hoax bomb case. Never done it myself but i have been to court a number of times due to my work and had to give evidence.

Back