It's happened! One Piece to be released from episode 1!

On Wikipedia.
FUNimation announced that the DVDs will be officially released starting at episode 1 on May 27, 2008

I sure hope this isn't wrong, but I can't remember FUNimation ever releasing information about the DVDs.

Press Release said:
TOEI ANIMATION SELECTS FUNIMATION ENTERTAINMENT AS AGENT FOR ONE PIECE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toei Animation and FUNimation Bring Popular Pirate Adventure Property to

Toy Fair 2008

FLOWER MOUND, TEXAS (February 18, 2008) – Tokyo-based Toei Animation Co., Ltd. has appointed FUNimation Entertainment, as Agent, to act on its behalf in North American licensing and merchandising activities for one if its signature series: One Piece.

In addition to managing home entertainment and theatrical distribution for the animated pirate adventure series and its films, FUNimation Entertainment is currently securing major partners within all key categories of licensing, including toys and games and collectible figures based on the characters and styling of the series.

Said Kanji Kazahaya, director of the international department for Toei Animation: “FUNimation is the recognized leader in the brand management and distribution of the most prominent brands in anime entertainment. We are delighted to join them in the launch of a new era of One Piece.â€

So.. What? Nothing I didn't already know was there. It didn't seem to say they are releasing from episode one or anything. Nice to hear its one of FUNimation's signature series' though. I really can't wait to start collecting the series, I hope its in a nice box (Not paper-based, Like Viridan). ;p What do Toei mean by "Agent" as well...

Can I have a source link, Melonpan?

61eVIZFvasL._SS500_.jpg

Cover art is out.

That's as good as a confirmation gets, now just do a damn press release Funimation!

^ Woooow, that's aweosme! I hope we get something like that over here ... and if we don't, I think I might finally have to get myself R1-enabled!

Praise the lords! That's AMAZING! I still don't understand why FUNi have changed the colour of the logo to all gold though, Personally, Its not as good looking as the vibrant ocean coloured one. Besides that very minor irk, Its such an amazing case, Everything I would have asked for and more. The collection will look frickin' awesome. So Much Love.

THANK YOU <3

Jayme said:
Praise the lords! That's AMAZING! I still don't understand why FUNi have changed the colour of the logo to all gold though, Personally, Its not as good looking as the vibrant ocean coloured one.

Nah, I think I prefer it that way. Gold and pirates go together so it just fits!

There's a possibility that these sets could be thinpak instead of the standard digipak that Funimation uses. The Aquarion set was thinpak, and the Fruits Basket set (latest one), so you never know.

Its going to be two disc's (I think) so I was betting on a standard two disc DVD case, Possibly with a slip cover. Although, Both the idea of the Digipack and the Thinpack sound extremely appealing.

CitizenGeek said:
Jayme said:
Praise the lords! That's AMAZING! I still don't understand why FUNi have changed the colour of the logo to all gold though, Personally, Its not as good looking as the vibrant ocean coloured one.

Nah, I think I prefer it that way. Gold and pirates go together so it just fits!

Its mainly because I'm used to it, And in the later openings the gold would clash against the the other colours when it displays the logo. I notice they also have removed the One Piece Man whom replaces the I the One Piece as well. But - Yeah, I agree, I like it when there is a bit of variation between it, Like the covers of the One Piece games, Thats a decent logo. 4Kids kept the colour though, So its a bit strange. It might be to keep along with the manga in which it is all yellow for some reason.

Whatever, ;/ Its just a nitpick. I'm just happy to get One Piece in some uncut form.

I really hope this pays off for Funimation, it's obvious that they've done everything they can to give the fans what they want. I hope they appreciate all this effort.

To be honest, this is brilliant news. Now it's just a case of waiting to see whether or not Revelation will be bring this out over here. I don't see why they wouldn't (especially since they appear to be season box sets) but since it's such a long series without any TV support (hint: Anime Central get on it), they might not see it as worth it.

Sy said:
I really hope this pays off for Funimation, it's obvious that they've done everything they can to give the fans what they want. I hope they appreciate all this effort.
No one is buying the movie eight DVD in America... BAWWWW.

Even though the film is meant to suck here, if it got R2 release I'd buy it. >_>

Wow thats great news, the cover art is brilliant i have to say, and i agree with Jayme, the ocean colored one is better, gold, yes may match the idea of it being pirate themed but its not the same.
If it does get a release over here, i do hope revelation pick it up, and it would be good to see it on TV as well, this time being shown properly.

Ye, the cover art is awesome, a massive step up from the 4kids covers imo. This makes me a little jealous of the americans and i hope we get this awesomeness released here soon.

Jayme said:
Its going to be two disc's (I think) so I was betting on a standard two disc DVD case, Possibly with a slip cover. Although, Both the idea of the Digipack and the Thinpack sound extremely appealing.

Only according to Amazon does it have two discs. It's more than likely to have three. Two would be stupid.

Lupus Inu said:
No one is buying the movie eight DVD in America... BAWWWW.

There's no hard evidence of that.

If Viz marketed the One Piece manga like they did with Naruto, then One Piece would most definately get the same buzz as Naruto, and would therefore do extremely well. It's all down to Funimation now though as they have all the marketing rights for all of One Piece (except the manga), so if they can pull that off, then it'll be a success. I think Funimation were just testing the water with the eighth movie.

Funimation should have have absolutely no problems in getting One Piece off to a good start, because they actually have a lot of money behind them now (with their $10m pay out from Atari(?)).

Yeah off-topic, but still relevant. Just because the eighth movie may not be going so well [according to you] (of course how could they expect to, as it only appeals to people who've seen One Piece).

what's the dub like on the us version? it's a shame that revelaton have been slowing down their releases lately so there isn't much chance that they will bring it out

on the subject of revelation films what happened to tenchii muyo gxp?

Back