It Happened?! A FullMetal Alchemist Sequel!

Not really, considering you didn't know how many chapters were in a volume, alright then, if you've read the manga who is the true villian in FMA? Of course, you could just go to Wikipedia, but I want an honest answer.

EDIT:
CitizenGeek said:
Assuming each volume has 10 chapters, I would have read about 6 volumes in total. That is much more than enough to judge the entire series by.
You said assuming each volume has 10 chapters then you have read 6 volumes . But if a volume had 10 chapters it'd be the size of the bible, no joke:

45 pages on average x 10 = 450 pages a volume... wut?

There's four chapters average a volume, so uh... what?

Well, if he's read it online I believe with a little common sense having 45 pages on average a chapter you'd come to think "Oh, we can't have no more than four/five chapters in a volume in total."

CitizenGeek said:
melonpan said:
CitizenGeek said:
Assuming each volume has 10 chapters, I would have read about 6 volumes in total. That is much more than enough to judge the entire series by.

What about other series?

A lot of manga, especially long running, goes through huge changes in the storytelling and artwork over time.

That's just ridiculous. Of course, reading 300+ pages of any manga is enough to judge it by. Are you seriously setting a standard whereby one must read an entire manga series (many of which are thousands and thousands of pages long) in order to be entitled to an opinion on it?

It's just that, after volume 8, or so, Fullmetal Alchemist evolves into an independent series, with ideas that are very different to its anime counterpart. Prior volumes have material that was adapted into the anime -- which was executed superbly, and perhaps in a superior fashion to the manga -- but the manga series ultimately follows its own path after such volumes (and uses the material it created in previous volumes in ways that were re-interpreted in the anime).

If one reads six volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist, there is the notion to contrast with the anime -- which will not reflect enitrely well on the manga, which has yet to fully wrap everything up in a neat package. It's best to try and forget the anime when reading the manga, and perceive it as an independent series, with its own ideas. They are, in effect, very different in flavour and pattern.

Early material in the manga is used for later concepts in the manga series; this same early material was utilised for later content in the anime -- its original intention may have been quite different from what the anime's director etched out.

I'm really quite unsure of what kind of point Lupus Inu is trying to make. I've read about 60 chapters of Fullmetal Alchemist (could be a little less, or a little more, as it's been quite a while since I read it and I've deleted the bookmark) online and considering there is about 10 chapters in most manga volumes, I assumed that's how it'd be with FMA. I've never looked at or bought one of Viz's FMA volumes so I didn't know. You can stop being so desperate now ;]

Uppa said:
If one reads six volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist, there is the notion to contrast with the anime -- which will not reflect enitrely well on the manga, which has yet to fully wrap everything up in a neat package. It's best to try and forget the anime when reading the manga, and perceive it as an independent series, with its own ideas. They are, in effect, very different in flavour and pattern.

When I said I had read 6 volumes, I was merely guessing that 60 chapters would translate to 6 volumes of the Viz releases. I was wrong, it seems. But I have seen the story branch off on it's own tangent, completely different from the direction the anime took. I was introduced to Ling, the adorable Mei Chan and Xiao Mei and
I read the chapters that took place inside Envy, I saw Gluttony's true form, I saw Greed's death, Greed taking over Ling etc.
. So I've seen the direction the manga takes and I still think that the anime is vastly superior in terms of plot development. As I already pointed out, the manga story degenerates into a reliance on over-complicated concepts as plot devices, the characters become duller and the story just generally meanders.

CitizenGeek said:
I'm really quite unsure of what kind of point Lupus Inu is trying to make. I've read about 60 chapters of Fullmetal Alchemist (could be a little less, or a little more, as it's been quite a while since I read it and I've deleted the bookmark) online and considering there is about 10 chapters in most manga volumes, I assumed that's how it'd be be FMA. I've never looked at or bought one of Viz's FMA volumes so I didn't know. You can stop being so desperate now ;]
It's not just the "Viz manga" it's the manga in general, four chapters a volume. There isn't ten chapters a volume on average, there's eight. So yeah, seems CitizenGeek lacks common sense in that case and the he feels the need to throw in a subtle jab. Poor debater is poor so he results to personal attacks.

EDIT: Holyshit...

When I said I had read 6 volumes, I was merely guessing that 60 chapters would translate to 6 volumes of the Viz releases. I was wrong, it seems.

He admits he was wrong. Wow.

Back